Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.
Default Howard Kuhn

I just received word that Howard Kuhn of CMR passwd away this past Wednesday. I don't have any more details.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Howard Kuhn was one of the top three supporters of NAR contest rocketry ever. The segment is small, but was not always, and had a large downstream impact on Old School NAR rocketeers including astronauts, presidents, and most leaders.

Howard Kuhn will be an unsung hero of what we all know to be a mere hobby that has had a large societal and educational impact. Let's at least remember that among ourselves.

My name is Jerry Irvine.

NAR #24333

I will never think of a precisely one ounce 3/4" diameter lead cylinder the same way again. . . . . .
Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Apollo Nut

I had wondered in more recent years (decades...) whether Howard was still with us. I never met him personally, but bought his products in the late 70s and early 80s. I know he was not exactly a spring chicken even then, so I would imagine his years with us (by now) had to be reaching on up there.

Still, sad to hear of his passing certainly. One day, ALL the giants of our hobby wil be gone (strange to think about somewhat, I know, but there is a point to my comment), so appreciate them -- like parents, if you still have them -- while they are here among us. Geez, we still have a couple of Mercury astros alive (literally, only two though...Glenn and Carpenter), and the ENTIRE Apollo 11 crew are still around, as well as a total of nine of the 12 men who walked on the moon. ONE DAY, they will all be 'historical' figures only and there will NEVER be 'firsts' like them among us again. 'Follow-ons', yes, but FIRSTS?? Nope. They are the Columbuses and Magellans of our day.

Ok, maybe I got too deep there (and off topic). Farewell and following seas, Howard.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
rocket dinosaur

Unhappy

sad news. I had the opportunity to speak with Howard back in the early 2000's.... I think Howard made some of the most innovative products during the late 60's. RIP Howard.

Thanks Bob.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
When Pigs Fly!

I have fond memories of meeting and talking to Colonel Kuhn at my first NARAM in 1975 at Orlando, Florida. He was happy to talk with anybody and everybody about the hobby. He didn't seem to mind when I volunteered to help him find one of his rockets in that swampy recovery area.

He was a true innovator.

P.S. On a side note - Hard to believe then, but the site we flew on at the NARAM in 1975 is now Universal Studios, Florida.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I had wondered in more recent years (decades...) whether Howard was still with us. I never met him personally, but bought his products in the late 70s and early 80s. I know he was not exactly a spring chicken even then, so I would imagine his years with us (by now) had to be reaching on up there.

Still, sad to hear of his passing certainly. One day, ALL the giants of our hobby wil be gone (strange to think about somewhat, I know, but there is a point to my comment), so appreciate them -- like parents, if you still have them -- while they are here among us. Geez, we still have a couple of Mercury astros alive (literally, only two though...Glenn and Carpenter), and the ENTIRE Apollo 11 crew are still around, as well as a total of nine of the 12 men who walked on the moon. ONE DAY, they will all be 'historical' figures only and there will NEVER be 'firsts' like them among us again. 'Follow-ons', yes, but FIRSTS?? Nope. They are the Columbuses and Magellans of our day.

Ok, maybe I got too deep there (and off topic). Farewell and following seas, Howard.

Earl

I agree completely with your sentiments. It's probably not so much on the other forums, but that's a big part of what YORF is about. We do appreciate the people behind the roots of our hobby and not only our astronaut heroes, but also the thousands that wrapped their minds and their hands around what seemed an impossible task and accomplished it.

However, after the huge setbacks the space program has received, I don't think there will be any "follow-ons" to walk on the moon in my lifetime.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

I first met Howard at the Pearl River, NY mod roc seminars (the nations largest convention at the time). He was the commemorative kit designer for that convention till I took over for him in the mid 1980's.

IF it was related to competition and/or education, Howard was probably a part of it, at least here in the north east He was always pleasant, but had an edge about him. I used to love getting a behind the scenes look at some of the designs he was working on and what lead him to make design decisions and such.

It's a loss to the community, that's for sure. He will be missed.

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/