Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2021, 01:36 PM
Craftsman

Default R/C Russian Buran Shuttle Rocket glider

To close out the year, I designed/built this yesterday, a simplified Buran shape, with a slightly enlarged wing, approx 1/72 scale, 18" wingspan, 21" length, 8.2. oz ready to fly using an E-6 longburn Aerotech composite rocket motor. Construction roughly follows the old Estes 1385 Columbia, but using 6mm and 3mm depron for the wing/side plates and tail, a BT-80 tube for the body and I cut out the rear of the tube to simulate the special oms pods that the Buran had. I laminated 10 pieces of 6mm depron with the cockpit/nose shape then carved/sanded to shape, then glued it to the front of the wing and glued a 2" long coupler and 1" piece of body tube to make the shoulder of the cone so it was removable to access the battery. Worked fairly well. I ran out of black/red to complete the cockpit windows and buran/cccp text but it was good enough for video today. CG and trims were spot on, here are the first three flights. Had about a 6-7mph headwind so it would do sort of hover decents to landing. On the first flight I was trying to make it to the grass behind me but I misjudged slightly and the wind quit right above the runway causing the plop landing, but there was no damage. Next two flights were as planned.

Flight Video

https://youtu.be/7KenhQhwVcQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20201231_110533023.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.55 MB  
Old 01-01-2021, 08:40 PM
Craftsman

Default Neato, Frank!

You seem to be cranking out these things like I *used to*!

Where are you getting *real* Depron nowadays, since I heard they're not importing the 'good stuff'?

I still have a buttload of 3mm stuff that I make large 18mm powered gliders from, this beats the pants off of balsa on a per-size basis. Also have some 1mm, that's for making really large and light tubing, since it's pre-formed in a curvature anyways.

Also have some so-called 'Depron Aero' as well. This is lighter yet but NOT as sturdy, and there fore needs some minor reinforcing. Well, doesnt *that* kinda kill the weight advantage...still Ok here and there.

And, in the old tyme section, still have some old Artcor boards. That is from around 25 years ago, and is a foamboard type deal with plastic sides instead of papery. Not very light nor useful as the alternatives today.

Always enjoy your reports and flights!
Old 01-01-2021, 08:55 PM
Craftsman

rcdepron.com is now importing 6 mm and 3 mm sheets in the US.
The new German manufacturered depron is slightly more flexible but it doesn't crack with a small amount of deflection like the old depron did and it's more formable especially the 3 mm and I like it. a lot. The sheets are much larger than the old 39x27 and a half inch sheets as well.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
You seem to be cranking out these things like I *used to*!

Where are you getting *real* Depron nowadays, since I heard they're not importing the 'good stuff'?

Always enjoy your reports and flights!