Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Craftsman

Default Estes Ram Jet

Hey guys I saw on here where someone was going to make an upscale Ram Jet. I have also thought about this. Looks like I can get everything from semroc. however im having a little trouble getting the fin patterns (both inside and outside) just wondering if anyone has them. Also isnt there a computer program that makes it really easy for upscaling and designing rockets?
Sorry for all the questions ive been out of the loop for about 4 years. im just getting back into the hobby again.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Craftsman

ooops I forgot, I have an original Ram Jet that needs repainting anyone know where to get decals for it?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by metlfreak
ooops I forgot, I have an original Ram Jet that needs repainting anyone know where to get decals for it?

If you have an original ramjet, just get some graph paper and upscale the fins yourself. I did that on an upscale Centuri Stiletto I cloned. No big deal at all. Came out perfect.

"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Semroc is almost always the answer" - Stefanj

www.paulsavia.com

www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMan
If you have an original ramjet, just get some graph paper and upscale the fins yourself. I did that on an upscale Centuri Stiletto I cloned. No big deal at all. Came out perfect.

Thanks for the idea man.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Hey guys I saw on here where someone was going to make an upscale Ram Jet. I have also thought about this. Looks like I can get everything from semroc. however im having a little trouble getting the fin patterns (both inside and outside) just wondering if anyone has them. Also isnt there a computer program that makes it really easy for upscaling and designing rockets?
Sorry for all the questions ive been out of the loop for about 4 years. im just getting back into the hobby again.

That may have been me. I've finished a BT-80 upscale of the Ram Jet. It's been a little damp around here for the last month and I haven't been able to paint it yet. You can find the original kit plans, fin patterns, measurements, and decals here:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est1994.htm

The decals are a little funky on this site but I redrew them to suit me, probably not the best, but they work for me. They are attached at the bottom of this post. They are original scale.

You can print your own decals, you can get waterslide decal paper from various sources on the internet or your local hobby shop may have some. I don't know if Gordon (sandman) has these decals on his site:

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/

but he can probably make them for you if he doesn't, if you want to go that route.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1994 - Ram Jet Redrawn Decals.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  166.0 KB  
Was once SAM#0132
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
That may have been me. I've finished a BT-80 upscale of the Ram Jet. It's been a little damp around here for the last month and I haven't been able to paint it yet. You can find the original kit plans, fin patterns, measurements, and decals here:

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est1994.htm

The decals are a little funky on this site but I redrew them to suit me, probably not the best, but they work for me. They are attached at the bottom of this post. They are original scale.

You can print your own decals, you can get waterslide decal paper from various sources on the internet or your local hobby shop may have some. I don't know if Gordon (sandman) has these decals on his site:

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/

but he can probably make them for you if he doesn't, if you want to go that route.

HTH

I have them but they are not on my site yet.

$4 a set plus $5 shipping.

Thet would be easy to scale up.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

I figured as much.
I seem to have the mindset that when it comes to model rocketry there's not much you can't do.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman

Ok cool, I'll get back to you then.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
...snnip... Also isnt there a computer program that makes it really easy for upscaling and designing rockets?

Apogee offers some software called Rocksim that can do the job, but I don't have it. Who needs it when I have barone to check my math...........
Was once SAM#0132
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:

No computer program for upscaling just use a little basic math.

First figure out what size body tube you want to use.

Go to Jimz's site and download the plans.

On the finset the balsa sheet is 3" wide so use that as your reference. Print out the fin sheet.

Us a copy machine going up or down enlarging or reducing until the sheet shows that it is 3" wide.

Now to upscale

Divide the body tbe size you will be using for the main body, for example a BT-70

2.217" O.D.

by the original body size which is a BT-55 1.325" O.D.

You get 2.217/1.325=1.6732 or in other words 167%.

Blow all the dimensions up by 167%. so the main body tube (there are 2 of them and they are 5.3" long each.

So 5.3 x 1.67=8.85" long each

Just continue on from there.

Just in case you don't know all of the body tube length are on the page on the plans with the caliper scale and compass.

OH, yea when you get the fin pattern right just hit 167% on the copy machine for your fins.

http://sandmandecals.com/