Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Oh? Please tell of this, especially if you can those guys to actually release a cool glider that doesnt have 'inherencies' with it!

I have done Tomcat-type gliders up to six feet long, albeit in highly unconventional styles, and have learned plenty in the process. Glad to see you back on YORF, if indeed you ARE the same master designer/builder from before!

It was essentially 1:48 scale and mostly proportional. It was a fully self-contained rocket in that it did not have an ejecting boost pod. I was based on the same operation as the classic Estes F-14 kit but using a much more reliable wing mechanism. I'll find some images and post them in a new thread. The first prototype flew great... and then it flew away. I could never get the second prototype to balance out but I think I know what I did wrong. Sadly, it was killed off before I could work out the bugs.

I think its been long enough and the company has changed ownership that I can openly discuss this project.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Hey, I really LIKED the census job that I had for two months last year. I wish it could have lasted longer, and that's the truth. It was the first work that I had gotten in 5 months. It was glorious - fresh air, plenty of exercise, lots of sun and swarms of bugs. I haven't worked since then, though. For the past 7 months I have been a full-time job seeker and collector of UIB. I'd go back to that census job in a heartbeat.

MarkII

Hey Bob and Mike, want to come out to Pennsylvania and help count the Amish for us so we don't get under counted again this year?

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
Hey Bob and Mike, want to come out to Pennsylvania and help count the Amish for us so we don't get under counted again this year?
The most effective Census workers are those who know and understand their communities. Bob is most effective in Chicago, and I would be (if I still worked for the Census Bureau) in the Northern Adirondacks. To get accurate counts in the Amish communities of Pennsylvania, you need Census workers who know and understand those communities and who have or who can gain the trust of the people living in them. Being trustworthy is one of the most important qualifications for the job.

Scott was right: this thread is really about Bob's job.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
The most effective Census workers are those who know and understand their communities. Bob is most effective in Chicago, and I would be (if I still worked for the Census Bureau) in the Northern Adirondacks. To get accurate counts in the Amish communities of Pennsylvania, you need Census workers who know and understand those communities and who have or who can gain the trust of the people living in them. Being trustworthy is one of the most important qualifications for the job.

Therein lies the problem, the Amish community wants to stay separate from the "English" as the call us (many of us are German just like them) There is no real animosity between us but they don't really trust us either.My mother was an enumerator for the 1980 census, most of her assignments were in our home town but she was sent out to Amish farms, too.Since they have no mail service, tax records or any other government records, she just drove out the back roads, found a farmhouse and asked to see the man of the house, the women would never talk to her. By hit or miss they got as many as the could find. Officially the census bureau admitted they may have missed up to 20% of the Amish, unofficially they may have only counted 20%. And since there were not a lot of locals willing to do that job back then they sent people in from Philadelphia and Baltimore who had no idea what they were doing in the remote fields of PA.

I wonder if with the use of satellite photos and gps they can locate more farms 30 years later?

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I did get your email. My old reliable computer crashed last week after an AVG update. It has taken an amazing amount of time to reload so many programs on a new PC. Every time I start to do something, I realize there is not a program loaded to do it, so I have to go back through a footlocker of CD's to find the one I need.

Carl, to expand on an earlier post, get this:

Apricorn DriveWire

It should save you the hassle-has for me, more than once.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Alright people. Let's get things back on topic for this post. This post is for talk about the sale of Estes to Hobbico. NOT about Bob and his job!

Anyone is welcome to start a post in the FreeForAll forum to continue discussion on Bob. Nothing against Bob, but this forum area and this post are not germain to talking about his job woes.

Thank you.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Dale: PM sent.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Alright people. Let's get things back on topic for this post. This post is for talk about the sale of Estes to Hobbico. NOT about Bob and his job!

Anyone is welcome to start a post in the FreeForAll forum to continue discussion on Bob. Nothing against Bob, but this forum area and this post are not germain to talking about his job woes.

Thank you.

"The g#& d@*% Germans got nothin' to do with it."

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper