Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Almost shovel ready

Default NFL Rules

I don't blame the officials for Dallas losing to Green Bay. But the Calvin Johnson Rule should be eliminated. The Cowboys had a number of missed opportunities.

I think the root of this loss stems from something called "Christie Jinx". If Jerry Jones wants another Superbowl Championship he will ban Chris Christie from his luxury suite in the upcoming season. The Republican Party should do likewise.

I'd call it "The Christie Rule".
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Dazed and Confused

That rule causes a few incompletions every week somewhere in the NFL. It shows up on a televised game several times a year. It happens near the end of a game where it is obvious it has cost them a win once or twice every few years. This time it was in a big playoff game. The rule has been around for a while and nobody seems to like it. It happened in the 1st quarter of a Lions-Vikings game several years ago and became known as "the Calvin Johnson rule". They won anyway and it was a regular season game so nobody cared. Now that it has happened to "America's Team" in a playoff game, the team the rule might get some deliberation in the off season.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Master Modeler

It's interesting that this rule treats "down" differently than a runner being down where the
ground cannot cause a fumble. I know it wasn't called a fumble. But if a running back was
going down the field and was tackled and his elbow hit the ground and then the ball popped
out of his other hand (like in this particular play) then he would have been called down by
contact and the ball placed at the spot. This rule definitely needs to be reviewed and
receivers treated the same as other ballcarriers.

I agree Dallas missed opportunities. Dan Bailey missing that field goal (twice) was one. If
he had hit that, then Dallas would not have had to go for that fourth down play. They could
have kicked a field goal there and won by one point.

Also, did I not see a picture of a GreenBay receiver getting a reception when the picture
clearly shows the ball on the turf? I must have missed that during the game.

Oh well, if they had not lost this week, it would have happened next week against Seattle

Go Seahawks!

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Denver won their
game against Indianapolis. Could we have had a repeat of the same two teams in the
Super Bowl twice in a row? That would have been impressive!
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Master Modeler

While we're on the subject of rules, can someone explain to me why there are so many
"illegal formation" rules where certain types of players have to be in certain places along
the line of scrimmage? It really doesn't seem to make any sense to me. They should be
able to line up where they want to be without having to worry about whether the Tight End
is covered by the Wide Receiver or some other sort of nonsense.

Make the defense work a little harder :-)

Also, I really like in Canadian football where the receivers can be moving towards the line
when the ball is snapped. Like in Arena Football too. Makes for a much more dynamic game.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 01-12-2015, 01:51 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

TOTAL BS that this had to happen to the CowTURDS and that POS team owner before any discussion of changing this A$ININE WRONG RULE by the NFL.
All of this ridiculous nonsense discussion of the JACKASSTIC BUZZ-WORD of the day "Was it a FOOTBALL MOVE ?" is IDIOTIC. By DEFINITION if a move is made on the field in a football GAME, it IS a "Football Move" !

The SAME exact thing goes for "UNsportsmanlike Conduct".
ANY and ALL conduct by a SPORTSMAN (ALL players) during a game BY DEFINITION IS IN FACT "Sportsman LIKE" no matter how heinous despite what some RETARD official or the idiot Goodell says.

If the NFL really wanted correct and fair officiating of games the following minimum two changes are required:

1) ANY and ALL actions by referees/officials regarding rulings, incidents, plays, and penalties can be RED-FLAGGED for review by the head coach of either team without tying the request to a time-out. Allow for 5 maximum red-flags per game for each head coach; the count would be for an entire GAME, with no tie-in to 1st or 2nd Half.

2) Referees/Officials should be subject to fines/penalties/suspensions just like PLAYERS are subjected to by the League; I would go so far that much more often the officials should be fined/suspended than the players.

GET IT RIGHT, ALL THE TIME, EVERYTIME, Officials ! Mistakes are UNACCEPTABLE !!!
NOT joking.

Of course this makes far too much sense and would take power away from the league to favor certain loudmouthed POS teams/owners, so it will never happen.

I for one am SICK AND TIRED of corruption in sports as well as politics.

Corruption in politics should be dealt with the same way France handled that among the royalty / elitists during their Revolution; via Guillotine. A whole lot less of that would go on when the penalty is that severe.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
I don't blame the officials for Dallas losing to Green Bay. But the Calvin Johnson Rule should be eliminated.

We have achieved Calvinball...

I forsee players being trained to avoid heroics like reaching for the goal line, but to get control of the ball and tuck it in securely.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
We have achieved Calvinball...

I forsee players being trained to avoid heroics like reaching for the goal line, but to get control of the ball and tuck it in securely.
You forsee it? I backsee it. As in 1970, when I began playing football and coaches taught us to "get control of the ball and tuck it in securely." They'd read us the riot act if we tried to stick the ball out like is so often done today.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
While we're on the subject of rules, can someone explain to me why there are so many "illegal formation" rules where certain types of players have to be in certain places along the line of scrimmage?
Part of these rules - note, I say "part" - stems from the requirement to have no more than 4 men in the backfield (implying a min of 7 on the line). Of the men on the line, only the men farthest out can receive the ball (ie, are eligible).

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
While we're on the subject of rules, can someone explain to me why there are so many
"illegal formation" rules where certain types of players have to be in certain places along
the line of scrimmage? It really doesn't seem to make any sense to me. They should be
able to line up where they want to be without having to worry about whether the Tight End
is covered by the Wide Receiver or some other sort of nonsense.

Make the defense work a little harder :-)

Also, I really like in Canadian football where the receivers can be moving towards the line
when the ball is snapped. Like in Arena Football too. Makes for a much more dynamic game.

Because it's American football, not rugby!

NFL and even college football is offense driven already. Nobody seems to appreciate a good defensive game anymore and the powers that be think a 56 to 42 score puts more butts in seats. We don't need any rules to make the game more offense oriented. I don't like basketball and that's what you would have if you changed even more rules to hinder the defense than has been done the last five years. Heck, somebody might even break Wilt Chamberlain's single game scoring record of 100 points.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
You forsee it? I backsee it. As in 1970, when I began playing football and coaches taught us to "get control of the ball and tuck it in securely." They'd read us the riot act if we tried to stick the ball out like is so often done today.

Doug

Agreed! And if the super talented Dez Bryant had done so, this entire controversy would be moot. That being said, the field judge was right there, had a clear view and judged that it was a completed catch, down at the one yard line. Then a committee of NFL officials conducted a secret and subjective review of the play and found that the field judge was full of crap.

This so-called Calvin Johnson rule stinks and appears to have been crafted by a bunch of ACLU lawyers on crack.