Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafgulch
I will look into doing this. But you know Apogee does sell the SIV-B Wrap (3rd Stage) seperately, so thats a option too. I hate to re-invent the wheel, plus from the looks of it Apogee makes some great wraps. I like to offer parts others don't make.

Another thing I struggling with is the Estes SV wraps are not true scale (meaning the correct number of stringers), but my S1b wraps have the correct number of stringers. If I make a Sat V 3rd stage wraps, should I make it more true to scale or should I try to copy the Estes wrap. I just think sometimes when people try to clone a old kit, they want it to look like the the original kit. I'm I making sense here?

Paul

You make good sense.

I think most people would be happy with either version as long as they didn't have to hand make the bits like Kody did for his Orion.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Something weird just happened. I replied to a post and it showed up above the post I replied to.

Looks like it time stamped it incorrectly at 1:38. A computer was the farthest thing from my mind at 1:38! TRF had some time stamp issues with vBulletin or the server a while back, so that's probably what happened here.

Edit: DOH! It did it with this post too!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I will look into doing this. But you know Apogee does sell the SIV-B Wrap (3rd Stage) seperately, so thats a option too. I hate to re-invent the wheel, plus from the looks of it Apogee makes some great wraps. I like to offer parts others don't make.

Another thing I struggling with is the Estes SV wraps are not true scale (meaning the correct number of stringers), but my S1b wraps have the correct number of stringers. If I make a Sat V 3rd stage wraps, should I make it more true to scale or should I try to copy the Estes wrap. I just think sometimes when people try to clone a old kit, they want it to look like the the original kit. I'm I making sense here?

Paul
Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Craftsman

I made the original Orion back in the 70s when I was a kid but now I'd like to build one and make it GOOD! I love the image at the top of the forum page! I'd go for the appropriate wraps if possible. I'm not totally OCD about it but I'd like it as accurate as I could get. So apparently, it's a 1B and SV wrap.

If that's possible, I'd definitely go for it!

(I've just made the ejection baffle and the coupler for the engine mount. Last week Semroc sent me the laser cut parts for the fins and pod stand-offs. I ordered the wrong part for the centering ring (ST7-16) that the engine shroud uses but I used it as a reference guide for the size to cut the ST20 down to size. The part I ordered seems to be the centering ring for a 2 engine cluster.)

I'm thinking that I should take some pictures and find all the links that I used and post 'em.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I just started looking at a image of the original wraps for the Orion on the JimZ plans site. I knew these wraps were just cut down versions of a S1b & SV wraps, but it's funny how none of the detail pieces are positioned symetrical around the body after the wraps got cut down. It's kind of like Centuri was lazy and didn't make a unique wrap for the Orion.

Paul
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

I believe Apogee's kits are 1/70th scale. The Orion uses Centuri's 1/100th scale Saturn V wrap.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I believe Apogee's kits are 1/70th scale. The Orion uses Centuri's 1/100th scale Saturn V wrap.

I knew this ....I've been away too long.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
I just started looking at a image of the original wraps for the Orion on the JimZ plans site. I knew these wraps were just cut down versions of a S1b & SV wraps, but it's funny how none of the detail pieces are positioned symetrical around the body after the wraps got cut down. It's kind of like Centuri was lazy and didn't make a unique wrap for the Orion.

Paul

What's odd is that they didn't just chop off some finished wraps, they chopped off the end of the molds!

For the folks that don't pay attention to detail, look at the edges all the way around the Orion wraps. If they were full length 1B and V wraps that were chopped off, they wouldn't have that flange on one end.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Has anyone done a Rocksim file for the Centuri Orion?
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Has anyone done a Rocksim file for the Centuri Orion?

I doubt it since it was a stable kit, but that leads me to wonder why you would need it. Might you be getting ready to do something?