Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 PM
BP Mafia

Default AMROCS Wombat

Anyone have the plans for this one? I'm running out of glider plans to kill.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Avid Builder

Old 05-02-2018, 12:19 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer

I can honestly say I never would have thought to check there. Thanks for the heads up!

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-02-2018, 03:23 AM
Avid Builder

Bill,

I just realized that some of the links are broken on the Wombat plans page at JimmyZ's. But I managed to download the pdf (attached).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf amrk-5.pdf (646.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

This looks like a really cool design. Somewhat between an Estes Space Plane and Astron Invader.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-03-2018, 02:13 PM
BP Mafia

Star of the show at the Saturday WSR Launch in Dayton. Loaded with a 1/2A6-2 just so I could keep it on the field. Boost was stable with slight windcocking behind us and to the left. Ejection sounded like the typical shotgun blast and the Wombat did a backflip, then immediately settled into a circular glide path. At one point it looked like it was going to straighten out heading in the direction of the cornfield to our left, which would not have been fun, but it flipped again and began flying in longer loops back toward us. The only thing I'd done to influence the glide was a double glue fillet on the left side, and that seemed to make a difference. The glide fluttered a couple of times, which seemed to just slow things down a little. The last flutter happened within three feet of the ground and it dropped gently to the ground. Quite impressive, and now that I have what appears to be a lifetime supply of the tape, I'm thinking upscale. Incidentally, the tape I found was at Home Depot and is Nashua brand. Easy to work with and highly recommended.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Avid Builder

Sounds like a winner, Bill. Maybe pics and/or a video next time? Makes me want to do a clone, but I've got a ton of stuff in my build pile, including clones of some old glider plans: Estes Eagle, Raven, Astron Invader, and the Bat. Great to hear it flies well. Laters.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:06 PM
BP Mafia

I'm working with a bulky new camera that is seriously lacking in burst speed, but here are two I got from yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  AMROCS Wombat on pad.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  64.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  AMROCS Wombat ignition.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  899.2 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Avid Builder

I'm wondering if you used aluminized tape or high heat silver paint in the silver section. My boost gliders always used to scorch in the aft sections.

BTW I use my camera ( cheap cell phone) in video mode and use a screen capture on the video on my computer. Captures just the right epic moment at lift-off, usually.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM
Craftsman

Default Chrome Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
I'm wondering if you used aluminized tape or high heat silver paint in the silver section. My boost gliders always used to scorch in the aft sections.

BTW I use my camera ( cheap cell phone) in video mode and use a screen capture on the video on my computer. Captures just the right epic moment at lift-off, usually.

Yea, Ive been using this stuff for EONS. Both for these 'puny' gliders, for char resistance, as well as wing edging and more on much larger ones.

Now, chrome tape (what Ive called this stuff for nearly 40 years) DOES come in a variety of thicknesses and therefore weights. The thinnest stuff is OK for stuff like Astron Invaders and Wombat types along with convies and such. The thickest type, usually around 3" wide and NOT cheap, is also heaviest, and finds uses on HPR gliders and such.

Heck, Ive even used the thick stuff to just TAPE a larger delta together years ago, and this held up fine on F motors! Great stuff to have around......