Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Default Birdie Plans

Does anyone have access to the plans or a model of the Estes Birdie - I'm looking for the BT-5 version. Specifically, I'd like to know how long the body tube was in the thing. Looking at the Custom Parts Catalog, I'm betting that it was 2" long (BT-5BJ). But I'd like to get that confirmed. Even better, if someone has a copy of the instruction from the BT-5 version, I'd love to get a copy of that. I can get the BT-20 version at Jimz, but he doesn't have the later T model version. Anyone?

Greg
Old 05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Does anyone have access to the plans or a model of the Estes Birdie - I'm looking for the BT-5 version. Specifically, I'd like to know how long the body tube was in the thing. Looking at the Custom Parts Catalog, I'm betting that it was 2" long (BT-5BJ). But I'd like to get that confirmed. Even better, if someone has a copy of the instruction from the BT-5 version, I'd love to get a copy of that. I can get the BT-20 version at Jimz, but he doesn't have the later T model version. Anyone?

Greg

Greg, I still have my original Estes Birdie with the BT-20...recently flew it with an A10-3T by
simply wrapping sufficient amount of streamer around the motor casing so it will slide easily
out of the BT-20 on ejection. When I get the chance, I'll check the measurements and get
back with you.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:

Greg

Greg,

The motor tube listed in the "K" series plans is the 2.75" BT-20J, but in the original EIRP plans (#61) it's listed as the BT-20M, which is 2.25". When you install the inner ring 1/2" from the top end, then install that bulkhead piece from the centering ring, that would give you the 1.75" length of the "S" motors. I think the "K" series plans may be in error...

The 2" BT-5BJ sounds like the correct call. Install a 1/4" ring flush with the top end of the tube, then install that bulkhead. That would give you the 1/75" length of the 13mm motors...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Ya - the model I had back in the seventies was the TK-44. I found the K-44 instructions on Jimz, but nobody has a copy of the TK-44 instructions available. That's what I'm trying to find. I remember flying that little bugger and it was a lot of fun. Especially when I flew it in a paved parking lot - it bounced pretty good when it came back down!

Suffice to say, if anyone does have a copy of the TK-44 instructions laying around, I would bet Scott would love to have a copy in his archive.

Greg
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Suffice to say, if anyone does have a copy of the TK-44 instructions laying around, I would bet Scott would love to have a copy in his archive.

You are quite psychic, young grasshopper.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Craftsman

I've cloned 2. I use a standard mini motor mount and a bt-60 to bt-5 centering ring. Cut a notch in the outside of the centering ring for the launch lug and remove one section of the first horzontal supports for the lug to protude from. The lug rests against the rubber birdie top and is glued to the centering ring. I just put a standard motor stop inside the motor tube, my friend puts a bulked infront of the motor block but I don't. I then epoxy the whole thing to the nose.

My birdies are about 4 years old, and have flown many times. The kids vlove them because they can launch them in the yard and don't go far.

Mark
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Craftsman

Here are a couple of photos.

the first is a view of the buisness end, you can see the motor mount, launch lug and centering ring. Don't glue the centering ring to the birdie, just to the bt-5.

The other view is both together, you can see on the white birdie were you need to cut one of the vertical supports for the launch lug to fit through.

I used epoxy to mount the motor tube to the birdie and white glue to glue the launch lug to the centering rig, over time the launch lug came undone, so I used epoxy to re-attach it. If I were to build more I would just use epoxy on it from the start.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  birdie.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  75.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  birdie1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  110.2 KB  
Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

I can confirm that the tube for the TK-44 Birdie was a BT-5BJ. I have a set of plans (it's a single 2-sided sheet) which I will scan and email to Scott at my first opportunity.

Joe
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I can confirm that the tube for the TK-44 Birdie was a BT-5BJ. I have a set of plans (it's a single 2-sided sheet) which I will scan and email to Scott at my first opportunity.

Joe

Cool. Thanks, Joe.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Bless you sir - you are a scholar and a gentleman!

Greg