Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2020, 10:45 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Nice Old Centuri Lot On Ebay

If you're into building or restoring older Centuri rockets, this lot may be of interest. Lots of tubes, cones (mostly balsa, but a few plastic), adaptors, transitions, 'chutes and streamers, lugs, engine mounts and more. Not my lot, and I don't know the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Centur...353.m1438.l2649
Old 07-18-2020, 11:42 AM
Craftsman

Lotta stuff there!!
Old 07-18-2020, 12:27 PM
The Alpha Kid

It's interesting that the seller is only 20 miles away.
I don't ever recall a hobby retailer in or around Ebensburg.
Centuri products were difficult to obtain locally.
I bought some Enerjet engines at JCPenney in 1978, but they didn't stock kits that I remember.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:58 PM
Apollo Nut

About 3-4 months ago this seller had some vintage kits he was selling, most of which were open kits as I recall. He said he was hanging on to this batch of parts until all the kits sold and were reviewed by the buyers, in case the kits were missing a part that he might have. He said he'd list the parts after all the kits sold.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 07-18-2020, 02:22 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I would be interested, but the shipping is a TOTAL RIPOFF.
OVER $30 shipping for this stuff ?
C'mon noww.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-18-2020, 05:35 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I would be interested, but the shipping is a TOTAL RIPOFF.
OVER $30 shipping for this stuff ?
C'mon noww.

You should feel lucky. I pay close to that for everything I get from the US on Ebay (so it really constrains my purchasing). This particular lot to Canada is $69.20.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:39 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I definitely wouldn't pay that insane amount or anywhere near it.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-18-2020, 11:47 PM
Craftsman

Shows $45 to ship to me in the midwest. That puts it at $80 so far............I'll pass!
Old 07-19-2020, 08:21 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I definitely wouldn't pay that insane amount or anywhere near it.

GH,
If you are interested in the lot I would suggest directly contacting the seller about shipping. I have seen this frequently where sellers use the ebay automatic shipping calculator and end up with some ridiculous suggested cost. It is why I don't use the calculator for items I sell.

If a seller is using the ebay calculator they can't see what you are being quoted. Most of the times I've questioned sellers about very high shipping they are very surprised and then give me a realistic quote.

In the early days of ebay there was an incentive for sellers to quote a high shipping cost, but no longer.

Most sellers are very nice about this and will give you a much more realistic quote.

Steve
Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
GH,
If you are interested in the lot I would suggest directly contacting the seller about shipping. I have seen this frequently where sellers use the ebay automatic shipping calculator and end up with some ridiculous suggested cost. It is why I don't use the calculator for items I sell.

If a seller is using the ebay calculator they can't see what you are being quoted. Most of the times I've questioned sellers about very high shipping they are very surprised and then give me a realistic quote.

In the early days of ebay there was an incentive for sellers to quote a high shipping cost, but no longer.

Most sellers are very nice about this and will give you a much more realistic quote.

Steve

Thanks for that explanation, Gus. I have never sold anything on ebay, so I don't really know (or understand) how the 'shipping' part works, but yes, there are sometime some VERY high costs for things to ship and it's a head scratcher. There was one just the other day, a vintage 'yellow' Estes Port-A-Pad and controller, with that yellow pad being, I'm pretty sure, the first color that it was issued in around 1969 or so. I've seen them several times, but this one was nice and clean and appeared to be unused, along with an assembled but unused controller in the original Estes starter outfit box. No bids yet and it had been listed for a while, but the shipping cost was listed as about $32!

I contacted the seller and mentioned to them that, if they really wanted to try to get some bids on the item they would maybe see if they could adjust their shipping cost, as $32 was just too high. Their reply (which was nice and cordial) was that they was using ebay's shipping calculator and that's what it came out as and they had no control over it, though they wished they could do something about it. I really did not know what else to say to them, as, mentioned above, I have never sold anything on ebay, so I was not sure how that worked, but that, as nicely as I could, told them it was probably going to be hard to get many bids with shipping charges like that.

If a seller wants to, can they just 'plug in' a shipping cost and let it go at that? I mean, one can offer free shipping on everything if they want right, so can the seller just put in their own shipping cost figure? Just curious....
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970