Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Stupid Question

Greetings!
I'm a newbie with a, probably dumb, question! I hope this is the right part of the forum. I was wanting to get back into rocketry (last made rockets many years ago and very easy kits), but saw few "historic" kits out there. Was looking for something scaled (or nearly so) and representing a historic rocket, but found a dearth of kits, besides very complex kits. I'm 37 with little recent experience in rockets (though have added a new throttle to my car and built some plastic kits) and was looking for a model of a historic rocket (preferably Soviet) that isn't high-power (not qualified), isn't something for a teenager, but isn't a kit that needs years of experience to build! Any hints would be appreciated! As an add on question, if one isn't going high power... is it still a good idea to join NAR and/or WOOSH... I know the fees are reasonable, but is the time commitment worthwhile if you're building E motor or less? Thanks in advance!

-Chris
Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma109
Greetings!
I'm a newbie with a, probably dumb, question! I hope this is the right part of the forum. I was wanting to get back into rocketry (last made rockets many years ago and very easy kits), but saw few "historic" kits out there. Was looking for something scaled (or nearly so) and representing a historic rocket, but found a dearth of kits, besides very complex kits. I'm 37 with little recent experience in rockets (though have added a new throttle to my car and built some plastic kits) and was looking for a model of a historic rocket (preferably Soviet) that isn't high-power (not qualified), isn't something for a teenager, but isn't a kit that needs years of experience to build! Any hints would be appreciated! As an add on question, if one isn't going high power... is it still a good idea to join NAR and/or WOOSH... I know the fees are reasonable, but is the time commitment worthwhile if you're building E motor or less? Thanks in advance!

-Chris

I don't know of any current Soviet scale kits, but there are several scale kits out there.
SEMROC has several SEMROC scale kits
Fliskits has a few Fliskits scale kits
Estes has one that I can think of Estes D Region Tomahawk
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Master Modeler

Dr. Zooch has several Soviet-era space rockets. Estes did have a Scud missile but it's long out of production.

http://drzooch.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
Dr. Zooch has several Soviet-era space rockets. Estes did have a Scud missile but it's long out of production.

http://drzooch.com/

That's where I was going to point him. Sounds like the Zooch kits will be just what he's looking for.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Did you see that yaw control?

Chris,

I'm a member of WOOSH and don't fly any high power. In fact, I've never flown anything over a C. You don't have to be a member of the NAR to join WOOSH, and they are a bunch of great, helpful guys to launch with. At the sod farm (1st Saturday every month usually), all you can really fly is low(er) power and its nice to have a spot to fly where you don't have to worry about finding a field (I live in West Allis and have been hassled by neighbors/dog walkers in my local parks)

I'll also second the Zooch kits. They are really well made kits, and you don't have to spend a small fortune to get them.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Thanks...

To all:
Thanks. Looks like I'll be heading to Dr. Zooch. I had seen their site, but was initially a little put-off by their jokes about a $22 mil ride on the real thing being less frustrating than building one of their kits! However, it sounds like they come well recommended. Once I get the kit built, I'll join 'Woosh' and join you for a launch. Thanks again!

-Chris
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Craftsman

You can always take a regluar production kit, get some green, white, silver and orange paint, with some Soviet decals off EBAY, and make a fantasy ship. Good easy ones that I have given a Soviet look include the Quest Force Five, Estes Thunderstar (out of production -OOP) and D Region Tomahawk - soon to be OOP. An Estes F-15 or Rubicon -soon OOP- would work well too.

Down the road you can try the Dynastar Firefox SHX. Sunward Maverick (Mig-27) or Sunward Su-47 - they are OOP but still show up on ebay. Real Soviet stuff is hard to build and if you have a lot of patience go for a Zooch. Build and fly one of those and then you are ready to build any of the kits mentioned, or even move up to the super hard Skill Level 5+ R-7s
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM
L2 achieved

If there is one thing I have learned about this hobby, there is no such thing as a dumb question. First of all "welcome" to what I find as a great hobby. I recently joined Woosh and I can tell you that everyone I have met at a club meeting or launch has been helpful in answering all of my questions. I think you would find that your rocket expercience can be enhanced by joining a club such as Woosh.
Once again welcome.
Woosh NAR #558
Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Master Modeler

You can clone the Estes Scud very easily. The plans are available The Nosecone can be had at Sirius Rocketry. The tube is a simple procurement; BT-60AE and BT-20D from Semroc. The centering rings are RA-2060 and the support ring for the aft balsa blocks can be simulated with a RA-5560, the fins are dead easy, and the decals can be cajoled from Excelsior Rocketry. Go on, ask me how I know.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est1340.htm

http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop...products_id=170
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."

Last edited by jharding58 : 01-30-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuma109
To all:
Thanks. Looks like I'll be heading to Dr. Zooch. I had seen their site, but was initially a little put-off by their jokes about a $22 mil ride on the real thing being less frustrating than building one of their kits! However, it sounds like they come well recommended. Once I get the kit built, I'll join 'Woosh' and join you for a launch. Thanks again!

-Chris

Realize that Wes, owner of Dr. Zooch, is a cartoonist as well (has several cartoon strips running on the internet including a funny ant-satire of NASA and aerospace in general called "The Program". He writes his instructions in the same satirical manner, poking fun at the builder as well as the rocket itself at times, and throwing in offhand references to some of the more aggregious examples of foolishness in the space program or the government in general...
in short-- it's just his style...

Some find it offputting or un-funny, but personally I think most of his comments are pretty close to the mark... perhaps a little TOO close, which is why he sometimes takes some heat for his humor...

The Dr. Zooch kits are probably about the only offerings you're likely to find of Russian space program vehicles in kit form... there are some HPR offerings, but even those are pretty limited in number and availability, and besides you asked for LPR. Another possibility is the Noris kits from Apogee Components, though I'm unsure of the availability-- they come and go. I've also heard some pretty bad stuff about the quality of the Noris kits-- they CAN be made to work, but with a LOT of "rework" and modification that might not be a good "starting point" for someone just getting into (or back into) the hobby...

The Dr. Zooch kits also use a lot of paper modeling skills, such as rolling paper transitions, paper rocket nozzles, etc. from cardstock... it's not a DIFFICULT skill to master, but a little practice doesn't hurt, and the results can be quite impressive...

I have a number of builds here in the scale forum of the Dr. Zooch rockets kits-- I 'beta build" many of the kits for him (test builds before he releases them to the public, to find any 'gotchas'... I haven't done any of the Russian kits yet though...

Later and Good luck! OL JR