Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > For Sale
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default Estes #1343 Starfighter Combo Kit

I have one of these kits for sale. It is opened (hang tag is gone) and there are a couple of problems with it.........first of all, it is missing one of its two nose cones, a PNC-50CA (this is the same nose cone as the one in the Estes Alien Invader kit), and secondly, it has had a small (1"x2") piece cut out from the bottom of the art card. One of the die-cut balsa sheets is coming apart so I lightly taped it together with Scotch tape to hold things in place, and the parachute tape discs have dried out and will have to be replaced if the kit is built, but I don't consider these to be serious problems. Other than the above, the kit is complete and in excellent condition (nice round tubes, etc.). This kit is very rare and I don't believe it can be cloned because of the silver decals. If you have a good art card for the kit and can get the missing nose cone you can restore it to its original state. Any interest out there?

Joe

PS.........if photo doesn't show, please email me and I'll send you one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Orion Starfighter Combo.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  158.2 KB  

Last edited by mojo1986 : 03-17-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

The whole cut in the header card was from someone cutting out the UPC label. Estes was offering rebates a long time ago, but you had to send in your UPC label to get them.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Master Modeler

How much are you wanting for this kit?

Email me at romraeford@yahoo.com

Thanks.

rraeford
Old 09-20-2005, 03:45 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

nice kits - I rememebr my brother and myself split the cost for that one, and built on eack - he the Orion Starfighter, and I the Torrellian Invader.

we still have both kits, although the decals are starting to flake off some :-(

both excelent builds, and airbrushed paint, too ( but grain filled so-so, which is too bad ) .

I have a partial decal sheet (original) to redo mine with if I decide to, but repro would be nice .

I believe the silver can be done ok on an ALPS - Phred ???????

* cries and begs *

~ AL
Old 09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Master Modeler

I have the art for this decal all prepared. I tried to get it done at Tango Papa some time back but we had some communication problems and it didn't work out.

I can send them to Excelsior if anyone is interested.

rraeford
Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
I have the art for this decal all prepared. I tried to get it done at Tango Papa some time back but we had some communication problems and it didn't work out.

I can send them to Excelsior if anyone is interested.

rraeford

DEFINATELY interested :-)

if you have them all redrawn and ready, then Phred could do them , which is always good .

would be interested in a copy myself, if ok , not sure how they'll print on an inkjet though,silver certainly would not be metalic liek the original version.

thanks ,

~ AL
Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Master Modeler

Default Starfighter decals

I scanned an original decal sheet and traced over everything. The edges should be very crisp and repeating shapes a bit more consistent than the original. I have found that redrawing decals digitally that were orignally done by hand (which is most of them) can frustrating.

There is a conflict between staying close to the original (no matter what) versus correcting minor (or even major) mistakes. Most of these decals were screen printed. Screen printing is as much art as science. If the screen was overloaded with ink when a particular sheet went through then the resulting image would be marred slightly or too heavy – sometimes more on one side of the sheet then another.

Anyway, I will get this on a CD and sent to Phred this week. I've been meaning to do this for some time.

The trouble I had before was registration. The silver has to be done before the other colors. I've got the silver parts separated out with a little bit of overlap built in. That should solve the problem.

I wouldn't mind sending you a copy if you want to take a whack at it.

rraeford
Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
I have one of these kits for sale. It is opened (hang tag is gone) and there are a couple of problems with it.........first of all, it is missing one of its two nose cones, a PNC-50CA (this is the same nose cone as the one in the Estes Alien Invader kit), and secondly, it has had a small (1"x2") piece cut out from the bottom of the art card. One of the die-cut balsa sheets is coming apart so I lightly taped it together with Scotch tape to hold things in place, and the parachute tape discs have dried out and will have to be replaced if the kit is built, but I don't consider these to be serious problems. Other than the above, the kit is complete and in excellent condition (nice round tubes, etc.). This kit is very rare and I don't believe it can be cloned because of the silver decals. If you have a good art card for the kit and can get the missing nose cone you can restore it to its original state. Any interest out there?

Joe

PS.........if photo doesn't show, please email me and I'll send you one.

Yes,
I bought this kit at the NARAM auction and would love to have a backup of at least the die-cut parts and the one nose cone (the current pnc-50y is a different shape).