Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 PM
Craftsman

Default Estes MX Missile 1916 and Estes Free Fall 1330

My recent work on an Estes Geo Sat LV clone and simulation file lead me to several other kits that didn't have simulation files. It started with the MX Missile that has the same nosecone as the Geo Sat LV and ended with the Estes Free Fall with the same locking fin base as the MX Missile see attached RockSim files and screen shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Free Fall 1330 3D.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  104.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MX Missile Sim.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  218.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MX Missile 3D.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  102.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Free Fall 1330 Sim.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  205.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Estes Free Fall #1330.rkt (80.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: rkt oop_Estes_MX_Missile_#1977.rkt (81.9 KB, 50 views)
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 12-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Craftsman

Added some details to the 2 simulation files.

For MX Missile detail simulation; clicking on the opacity button (moldy meatball about half way down the screen) in the 3D view of the rocket will make the fin can disappear and reveal the tank bottom and nozzle.

For the Free Fall detail simulation the rocket is simulated as a 2 stage flight so the parachute man gets ejected and falls separately from the rest of the rocket. You will also have to import the attached dart motor to the Rocksim program for the simulations to work.
Attached Files
File Type: rkt oop_Estes_MX_Missile_#1977_detail.rkt (86.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: rkt Estes Free Fall #1330 detail.rkt (92.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: rse Dart motor.rse (496 Bytes, 47 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Craftsman

See attached picture of my Estes MX Missile Clone with 3D printed ABS nosecone and locking fin can with clear 1/32" thick Lexan fins and homemade decals. The decals were made on an HP 8600 inkjet printer and are on the last of my Bel Inc. waterslide decal paper stock. My trick is to use the Histogram on the Adjust Exposure menu in Microsoft Windows Live Photo Gallery to eliminate the background and simultaneously sharpen the details and enhance the colors of the scanned decals. The decals are then printed as appropriately sized .jpg files from Windows Paint.

I used a 5 body tube lengths of shock cord made from natural braiding cord tied to the engine mount. The flight was on a B6-4 motor; the tajectory was good, arching about 5 degrees into the wind. However, upon ejection the nosecone went through the parchute shroud lines and prevented the 12" plastic parachute from opening all the way. One of the Lexan fins broke on landing and one of the wraparound decals was peeled back , both easy repairs.

Incidentally the launch pad this model is on is one that I built over 30 years ago. The construction details apppeared in a Sport Rocketry article titled "The Tripod Mount"; good thing I published my Teflon Rocketry article first! I also gave several of the ablative blast deflectors (also the title of my 3rd Sport Rocketry article) like the one on this launch pad to some members of the WOOSH NAR section at a launch at the Bong Recreatio area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  MX Missile Launch (768x1024).jpg
Views: 90
Size:  590.8 KB  

Last edited by teflonrocketry1 : 01-06-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Estes MX Missile, Titan II, and BT-60 based Gemini Titan are notorious for breaking the clear plastic fins using the STUPIDLY small factory supplied 12" chute. Upgrade to a 18" and the problem is reduced somewhat. The black plastic fin unit of the same twist-on form is far more durable.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The Estes MX Missile, Titan II, and BT-60 based Gemini Titan are notorious for breaking the clear plastic fins using the STUPIDLY small factory supplied 12" chute. Upgrade to a 18" and the problem is reduced somewhat. The black plastic fin unit of the same twist-on form is far more durable.

I will give the 18" diameter parachute a try on the next flight.

I found a relatively inexpensive source of colored plastic film material at WalMart the other day. It 's a plastic Table Cover 54" x 108" rectangle for $0.97. I reinforce the corners of the parachutes with clear package tape and use 100% Mercerized Cotton Crochet Thread size 10 for the shroud lines. I also string the lines in a nontwisted pattern (see attached diagram) and tie them through a size 5 Barrel Swivel I found in the fishing supplies at Walmart 12 for $1.36.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Parachute Stringing.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  13.9 KB  
Old 01-12-2019, 01:33 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
I will give the 18" diameter parachute a try on the next flight.

I found a relatively inexpensive source of colored plastic film material at WalMart the other day. It 's a plastic Table Cover 54" x 108" rectangle for $0.97. I reinforce the corners of the parachutes with clear package tape and use 100% Mercerized Cotton Crochet Thread size 10 for the shroud lines. I also string the lines in a nontwisted pattern (see attached diagram) and tie them through a size 5 Barrel Swivel I found in the fishing supplies at Walmart 12 for $1.36.
I think the new production runs of the pre-assembled Estes parachutes use that shroud line attachment arrangement, too. Also, your MX model design would be a good one in which to use M. Dean Black's exhaust-augmented stabilization method (see: http://www.apogeerockets.com/educat...wsletter379.pdf ).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 PM
Craftsman

Jason,

I wonder if anyone else noticed this flaw when stringing parachutes the traditional way i.e. looping the shroud lines between 2 adjacent attachment points? When you try to attach the parachute strung this way one of the shroud lines must be twisted 180 degrees to attach the shrouds through an eyelet. The way I depicted the shroud line attachment completely avoids this.

I will probably build an ICBM model that makes use of the exhaust augmented stabilization and give it a try in the near future.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Jason,

I wonder if anyone else noticed this flaw when stringing parachutes the traditional way i.e. looping the shroud lines between 2 adjacent attachment points? When you try to attach the parachute strung this way one of the shroud lines must be twisted 180 degrees to attach the shrouds through an eyelet. The way I depicted the shroud line attachment completely avoids this.
I wouldn't call the old shroud line attachment arrangement (which I've used for nearly 50 years, and which kit and RTF instructions have shown for decades) a flaw; rather, I'd call the new arrangement an improvement. (It may not actually be new, but it is new to me, as I'd never seen it before a year or so ago; I'm glad I did, though.)
Quote:
I will probably build an ICBM model that makes use of the exhaust augmented stabilization and give it a try in the near future.
Good! I understand that M. Dean Black first utilized this stabilization method back in the 1960s for a scratch-built scale Minuteman ICBM that he constructed, and that it worked well. It would also be useful for scale models of vehicles (such as the Thor-Altair [Thor-Burner I] and the small Cosmos launcher, which was based on the SS-4 [R-12 Dvina] MRBM, etc.) whose scale-size fins are too small to provide adequate stability without a *lot* of forward ballast.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR