Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > RockSim Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Craftsman

Default Centuri Mach 10 #KA-4

Attached is a RockSim simulation and screen shots of the simulation for the Centuri Mach 10 that I am cloning. I plan to follow the instructions and measurements posted at the JimZ site. I used an 8" section of BT-60 for the main body since there is no way to easily remove the internal nosecone on the model with an 8.5" long body and a 6.5" long motor tube, I actually mocked this up and tried it. This simulation contains pods, therefore it is not compatible with Openrocket software.

The glue is still drying on the model in the picture, it has 3D printed ABS nosecones, BT-60, BT-20 and BT-5 instead of the Centuri tubes, I used 1/16" basswood instead of 3/32 balsa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach10Sim.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  187.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach10Sim3D.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  175.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Mach 10 Clone.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  264.4 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Centuri Mach 10.rkt (80.2 KB, 63 views)
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Last edited by teflonrocketry1 : 02-10-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:31 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
Attached is a RockSim simulation and screen shots of the simulation for the Centuri Mach 10 that I am cloning. I plan to follow the instructions and measurements posted at the JimZ site. I used an 8" section of BT-60 for the main body since there is no way to easily remove the internal nosecone on the model with an 8.5" long body and a 6.5" long motor tube, I actually mocked this up and tried it. This simulation contains pods, therefore it is not compatible with Openrocket software.

Flew my Mach 10 clone (with an original Centuri nose cone!) last weekend, though it didn't do that great, only getting about 50-80 ft altitude and landing (though it did land!) at the same time the nose cone and streamer hit the ground.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 AM
Craftsman

Roy,

What motor did you fly your Mach 10 clone on? Did you use a lot of ballast weight in the belly pod and main nosecone? Do you know how much overall the final prepped model weighed?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:26 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflonrocketry1
Roy,

What motor did you fly your Mach 10 clone on? Did you use a lot of ballast weight in the belly pod and main nosecone? Do you know how much overall the final prepped model weighed?

This flight was a B6-2 (I've only flown it on C6-3 before). Last time I flew it was over five years ago. It was built to specs with a real Centuri ST-16 and ST-7, a Semroc ST-5 with Semroc balsa cones, and the main nose cone is an original Centuri orange plastic two-piece cone with nothing inside.

I did not fully witness the flight as it was flown by mistake (wrong pad selected on the panel). As I mentioned the glider *did* transition, reaching the ground at the end of the transition.

No idea on the mass, but it is unpainted. As I also said, it has flown before on C6-3 and glided fine, but lost altitude in the transition (as it did this time).

Edit: it was built maybe eight/nine years ago and I don't remember if there's any ballast in the pod! but there is none in the nose cone.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:48 AM
BP Mafia

I vary the weight in the belly tank based on the test glides. I always pack the marker cone half full of bbs, then coat them with Gorilla Glue.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Craftsman

Ready for decals. It took me longer to touchup the decals than it took to actually build the Mach-10 clone!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_5423 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 66
Size:  328.6 KB  
Old 03-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Smile

Here are a few pictures of the one I cloned a few years back. Only flew it this one time on a B6-2, successfully. Maybe this summer again.

I had an original in the 1970s but I never got a good flight out of it. It was spectacular though when it flew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Mach 10 pre-flight 2.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  174.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach 10 lifting off.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  175.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach 10 pre-flight 1.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  281.9 KB  

NAR 77391 HPR Lev 1
CMASS Member

SAM 0053
Old 03-26-2019, 11:46 PM
Craftsman

I finally completed my Centuri Mach-10 clone; picture attached. I had to purchase Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303 for the decals since the ones I clear coated with MicroSol just fell apart when I dipped them in water. I probably should have used only one coat of the acrylic coating since I had to use MicroSet to get the decals (which were thick) to lay down against the surfaces. Of course I used a 1" wide by 36" long yellow Teflon tape streamer for the "marker" nosecone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Centuri Mach-10 Clone.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  391.8 KB  

Last edited by teflonrocketry1 : 03-27-2019 at 10:22 PM.