Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Craftsman

Default Estes Loadstar question

I'd like to pickup a payloader that can be launched quickly without a lot of work, so I took a look at the Estes RTF Loadstar.

http://www.estesrockets.com/002456-loadstartm

I'm a little confused because I see conflicting descriptions and reviews indicating that the payload bay is glued shut--or it isn't. I'm beginning to think that maybe the early ones were sealed but the payload bay is available on current production models.

Does anyone know if this is the case? And is there an obvious way to tell which is which from the packaging? No local stores carry this, so I'd have to order one online.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 AM
BP Mafia

I found these comments in the reviews on the Estes site: From May, 2011 - "Was a little disappointed to find out the payload section is actually glued shut. Why give it a name like "LOAD"star if you can't actually load anything into the payload section? Other than that, a great little rocket."
From November, 2013 - "Beta testing the new 'micro peak' altimeter. The payload bay is spacious."

I have no personal experience with this bird, but I do know the Solar Flare, Reflector, Chuter-Two, Magician, and Loadstar II all have payload bays. A little more work, but a lot more reliability.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Master Modeler

The one I bought some time ago was glued together. I did modify it (and extend the payload section) with some BT-60 from my stock, but I had to destroy the bay it came with pretty much to do it. I remember giving Mike Fritz at Estes a bit of a hard time about the useless payload section.

The RTF Skytrax has a smaller but usable payload bay. And the two stage kit Loadstar Two certainly does as well (oh, I see Bill mentioned that). One of my favorite payload birds in kit form is the Nova Payloader, but it just fell out of the catalog again, so may be OOP (for the third time at least).

I haven't seen the Loadstar RTF in stores for quite some time so I don't know if later batches have ussable (without surgery) payload sections or not. If they have changed I'd look for ones that said "made in Guangdong China" and had a date stamp in the last year or so near the bar code. That would be a recent batch. Older RTFs don't specify the city and the code stamped into the box isn't a simple date.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Old Submariner

As far as I know, this is the current version of the Loadstar (II). It's 2-stage with a BT60 sized clear payload that's fully functional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2676.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  105.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2677.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  83.8 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
As far as I know, this is the current version of the Loadstar (II). It's 2-stage with a BT60 sized clear payload that's fully functional.

There's also an RTF version. http://www.hobbylinc.com/estes_load...ady_to_fly_2456

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Craftsman

Yes, the Loadstar and Loadstar II are very different rockets. It's unfortunate Estes named them the way they did.

One of the reasons for my confusion is the Loadstar instructions on Estes' site imply the nose is removable to access the payload bay. This leads to my speculation that it was changed at some point.

In any case, I think I've decided to get something else. I'm leaning towards the Firebolt.

http://www.estesrockets.com/001956-firebolttm

My main goal is wanting something that can carry an altimeter in a payload bay and also carry a camera strapped to the side.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
My main goal is wanting something that can carry an altimeter in a payload bay and also carry a camera strapped to the side.

Depending on what altimeter and what camera - the SkyTrax, especially on a C6-3 (or D10-5 ) - could also do that. The payload bay isn't long enough for a PerfectFlite APRA but the Pnut, as well as several smaller ones (any Jolly Logic unit, the Estes Altimeter, Adept A1, and of course the Altus Metrum MicroPeak) will all fit. The camera would need to be a keyfob or USB-stick type I think.

That Firebolt will certainly do it.

Odd thing about "Loadstar". What is now called "Loadstar II" was just "Loadstar" some years ago, before the RTF model carrying that name came out.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe
Yes, the Loadstar and Loadstar II are very different rockets. It's unfortunate Estes named them the way they did.

One of the reasons for my confusion is the Loadstar instructions on Estes' site imply the nose is removable to access the payload bay. This leads to my speculation that it was changed at some point.

In any case, I think I've decided to get something else. I'm leaning towards the Firebolt.

http://www.estesrockets.com/001956-firebolttm

When it comes to naming rockets, Estes seems to think the best place to look is to the past, which is why we have two different Solar Warriors, Loadstars, Athenas, etc. Irritating.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Born Late Rocketeer

To make matters worse, the Warp II was the same rocket as the Loadstar II, but with different decals.

2022 Warp II (1990–1993) — skill 2 2-stage kit
1760 Loadstar Bulk Pack (1994–2003) — same as 2022 except decals, bulk pack only
2456 Loadstar (2010–) — RTF 1-stage kit
3227 Loadstar II (2012–) — same as 1760 sold singly
1760 Loadstar II Bulk Pack (2012–) — same as previous 1760 but renamed
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Old Submariner

Ah yes, that's true. The Warp II was exactly the same as the original Loadstar and the current Loadstar II, but with far cooler decals IMO. One thing I've always liked about the design is the rear-retained engine mount on the booster.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078