Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 10:02 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

I got answering two letters at one time, sorry. You mean the RDC Catalogs ? I can provide you gladly with copies, or better yet, I do have one spare catalog of the large size one. I haven’t considered letting it go, but may trade it for something comparable,, perhaps even a small, old kit etc. In any case, I’m again, glad to help you however I can. The large spare has some aging on the cover, but it’s nice, too. Thoughts ? Dan.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Retired Missile Technician

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/rockets.html

There are three RDC catalogs posted in Ninfinger, plus their Ballistics Manual. I provided two catalogs for scanning.

Chas
Old 07-06-2020, 10:54 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

There are three RDC catalogs posted in Ninfinger, plus their Ballistics Manual. I provided two catalogs for scanning.

Chas

Thank you. Good stuff. Still, I’m wondering if anyone is still posting or adding items still not listed there ? For example, my RDC catalog is Smalker, and dated 1965. Also, I have Many other catalogs not listed such as the Estes Spring, Fall, Christmas etc catalogs from the late 70s- early 80s that aren’t there. Plus much more stuff I see missing. From this, to Rocket plans/kit contents etc..( as in my Centuri Little Joe II find, by request,,, WHO DO YOU CONTACT ?!
Also, I had an Early RDC Eagle Roc by G. Harry Stine NAR #2 that I donated to Vern Estes some 20(?) years ago. It was like the space plane. The instructions were Hand Typed by typewriter on paper ( you could feel the letter intentions in the paper) ! It had a piece of Black decal material in it. So there’s earlier rockets not listed in these Catalogs, not even in my 65, which there’s only 6 kits, total !
Dan.

Last edited by dannymrmissile : 07-06-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Thank you. Good stuff. Still, I’m wondering if anyone is still posting or adding items still not listed there ? For example, my RDC catalog is Smalker, and dated 1965. Also, I have Many other catalogs not listed such as the Estes Spring, Fall, Christmas etc catalogs from the late 70s- early 80s that aren’t there. Plus much more stuff I see missing. From this, to Rocket plans/kit contents etc..( as in my Centuri Little Joe II find, by request,,, WHO DO YOU CONTACT ?!
Also, I had an Early RDC Eagle Roc by G. Harry Stine NAR #2 that I donated to Vern Estes some 20(?) years ago. It was like the space plane. The instructions were Hand Typed by typewriter on paper ( you could feel the letter intentions in the paper) ! It had a piece of Black decal material in it. So there’s earlier rockets not listed in these Catalogs, not even in my 65, which there’s only 6 kits, total !
Dan.

For catalogs and such you can contact Sven Knudson at sven@ninfinger.org to get something posted that you have that he doesn't.

For kit plans that aren't already online you can post them in the Plans section here. If the files are larger than 2mb in size send them directly to me and I'll get them posted here for you.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 07-06-2020, 05:00 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
For catalogs and such you can contact Sven Knudson at sven@ninfinger.org to get something posted that you have that he doesn't.

For kit plans that aren't already online you can post them in the Plans section here. If the files are larger than 2mb in size send them directly to me and I'll get them posted here for you.

Thank you. I wish he, ( or anyone), would contact Me,,, with what they need. While I see sporadically what’s missing here n there, I don’t look around enough to know who needs what. Easier if folk would ask me if I can fill in some gaps. I have stuff not posted , in many places. That’s one of my purposes for posting things on here.
To let folk know I can possibly help. I am tired, and hoping people will let me know, then I can just send direct to wherever it’s needed. Pass the word. Thanks. Dan.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell

Chas

I was just hoping for a better shot of the Starflite.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-06-2020, 05:55 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Sorry,, guess I Am old school. Starflite ?? I missed that one..... so solly
Old 07-06-2020, 06:20 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Sorry,, guess I Am old school. Starflite ?? I missed that one..... so solly

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocke...-starflite.html

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 07-19-2020, 03:53 PM
The Alpha Kid

Default Aero-Dart Redux

I was so impressed with the performance of my orange Dart at my last launch that I have decided to finally fix up my first Dart. I crashed it years ago and was so disgusted that I simply built a fresh one.
It's demise was due to the failure of a six foot white rubber shock cord. Bad idea.
I lost the payload, nose, and chute while the booster came in ballistic.
It took a core sample from the edge of the pond. Lucky for me it landed in the muck, otherwise there may not have been anything left to work with.

The first item to address was the charred fins. A previous flight attempt with a thrustless E-9 turned the trailing edges to charcoal as it just sat on the pad like a roman candle for what seemed like a very long time.
I carefully cut out the burnt bits and glued in new balsa pieces. Some reshaping, plenty of sanding and a little primer made them good as new.
I added a shrink wrapped, crimped steel cable to the top of the stuffer tube to move the new shock cord attachment further away from the ejection blast. The balsa block under the payload has a dowel insert for the screw eye.
New LT-200 tubes were procured and I gave the nose cone my patented twist lock retention system.

Today I started applying paint to the individual parts. I found a can of metallic black for the final coats. In the sunlight it appears to have four different colors of metallic in the base. I have a set of decals and will use 3/8" or 1/2" elastic with Kevlar backup for the recovery. Will post pics of the finished product in a week or two. The humidity here may affect my paint cure times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  core.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  143.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  core2.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  197.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  dart_prep.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  761.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  dart_paint.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  837.2 KB  
Old 07-19-2020, 04:02 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default Chutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik442
I was so impressed with the performance of my orange Dart at my last launch that I have decided to finally fix up my first Dart. I crashed it years ago and was so disgusted that I simply built a fresh one.
It's demise was due to the failure of a six foot white rubber shock cord. Bad idea.
I lost the payload, nose, and chute while the booster came in ballistic.
It took a core sample from the edge of the pond. Lucky for me it landed in the muck, otherwise there may not have been anything left to work with.

The first item to address was the charred fins. A previous flight attempt with a thrustless E-9 turned the trailing edges to charcoal as it just sat on the pad like a roman candle for what seemed like a very long time.
I carefully cut out the burnt bits and glued in new balsa pieces. Some reshaping, plenty of sanding and a little primer made them good as new.
I added a shrink wrapped, crimped steel cable to the top of the stuffer tube to move the new shock cord attachment further away from the ejection blast. The balsa block under the payload has a dowel insert for the screw eye.
New LT-200 tubes were procured and I gave the nose cone my patented twist lock retention system.

Today I started applying paint to the individual parts. I found a can of metallic black for the final coats. In the sunlight it appears to have four different colors of metallic in the base. I have a set of decals and will use 3/8" or 1/2" elastic with Kevlar backup for the recovery. Will post pics of the finished product in a week or two. The humidity here may affect my paint cure times.

Why not use 2 chutes and tie the two rocket pieces together with a 3-4’ piece of string, ( or longer),, as was done on the old Estes K-41 Mercury Redstone ? This way they eject separately, absorb the shock individually, and stay close together with the string. Good idea for payload sections and delicate nose cones. Dan.