Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Out To Launch

Default October Sky

I finally got a chance to see "October Sky" when it aired on Movie Plex the other night. At the end my wife said "are you crying?" Of course I wasn't, just had a little something in my eye.

It really made me think about the man who woke me in the middle of the night one July when I was eight years old and sat with me in silent wonder before the old black & white TV as we heard the words, "The Eagle has landed." I think I'll have to invite him out to push the button one of these days very soon, before it's too late. He'd get a kick out of it.

(Edited for accuracy)
Apollo 11 videos

Anyone else have a story they'd like to share that (in whole or in part) inspired their interest in rocketry?

Last edited by Tweener : 03-23-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:39 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
I finally got a chance to see "October Sky" when it aired on Movie Plex the other night. At the end my wife said "are you crying?" Of course I wasn't, just had a little something in my eye.

It really made me think about the man who woke me in the middle of the night one July when I was eight years old and sat with me in silent wonder before the old black & white TV as we heard the words, "The Eagle has landed." I think I'll have to invite him out to push the button one of these days very soon, before it's too late. He'd get a kick out of it.

(Edited for accuracy)
Apollo 11 videos

Anyone else have a story they'd like to share that (in whole or in part) inspired their interest in rocketry?

Tweener, that's a great story!

If you haven't read the book that inspired "Cctober Sky," run to a bookstore or library and Get "Rocket Boys," by Homer Hickam. I read it and its sequels before I saw the movie, and I think the books were just *far* better. Highly recommended.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Craftsman

I'll second the opinion on "October Sky". Finally reading the book right now after seeing the movie quite some time ago. Simply outstanding. We were living in a coal mining town in KY and my dad worked in the mines when "the Eagle" landed. Sorta makes it even more interesting to me. Anyway, great sentiment.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
ReBAR Rocketeer

Default Small World

I just started re-reading "Rocket Boys", and was thinking that I need to pick up "October Sky" on DVD.

Did you know that "October Sky" is an anagram of "Rocket Boys"? I saw an interview of Homer Hickam by David Letterman when he was promoting the movie, and he pointed that out.

Randal
Old 04-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Out To Launch

Update:

I invited the "Old Man" out to launch on April 4th. We had a great time! We launched a plastic molded X-15 from an old Estes starter set and another plastic molded Estes rocket (I forget the name - it's a small orange and black Buck Rogers / Flash Gorden type of design) with A10-3T's. Followed by the Vulcan clone with a B4-2 and the X-24 clone with a C6-3. The highlight was the maiden launch of the Thunder Roc clone on a D12-5. I offered him the opportunity to initiate the launch of the 'Roc, but he declined. I noticed he opted to step back a little farther than my launch control lines would allow - maybe that's why. ('Tis is a tad bit intimidating on the pad.)
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 04-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
Update:

....<snip> I offered him the opportunity to initiate the launch of the 'Roc, but he declined. I noticed he opted to step back a little farther than my launch control lines would allow - maybe that's why. ('Tis is a tad bit intimidating on the pad.)

Speaking of which: a few years ago I picked up an old Electro Launch on ebay, and decided to take it out with me for a quick launch to test it out. I had forgotten that the old rules only required a 10 foot distance from the pad, and this Electro Launch was wired accordingly. Now, I had been used to flying with CMASS, usually standing 40-50 feet away even from the A - D rockets being launched, so I found myself stretching the wire as far as it could go, and then leaning back as far as *I* could go, all to launch a 15" rocket on a B6-4. I guess 10' isn't what it used to be

Sean
Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
I found myself stretching the wire as far as it could go, and then leaning back as far as *I* could go, all to launch a 15" rocket on a B6-4. I guess 10' isn't what it used to be
It's because you're much taller now than you used to be as a kid.

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 04-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Out To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
It's because you're much taller now than you used to be as a kid.

Yeah, I noticed that while building my Vulcan and X-24 clones. At first I wondered if they hadn't been scaled down. It was a little harder to glue the seams on the conical paper body shrouds because my fingers are so much bigger now.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net