Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2021, 02:12 PM
Old Fart Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Ed-

Your number is probably from the early 70s I guess, no? Mine — 29523 — is from June, 1978, about two years after I started active flying.

Buzz, yours must be from the latter 60s, maybe?

Earl

My first NAR number (12686) was in late 1967. I joined under my nick-name (Buzz). I renewed in early 1969 under my given name and ended up with a new number. Didn't care about numbers back then (I was still 13 years old). I've kept the 13559 number, but my copies of American Aircraft Modeler (the AMA mag which used to have the NAR Model Rocketeer before Model Rocketry mag) have my older number on it.

Imperial, not metric, motor designations. Plain nichrome wire held in with toilet paper used to ignite motors. 'C' motors were brand new from Estes. Tracing fin patterns onto blank balsa. Slicing body tubes to mount rubber band shock cords. 'High Power' was a Mini Max F motor.

I guess having started in the "first decade" of model rocketry does qualify mew as an 'old fart' in the hobby. :-) I was not active n the NAR or local clubs until the early 1990s, though.

Avid rocketeer since 1967.
NAR 13559 / L2