Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2023, 06:20 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Did this idea gain any traction within DARS?

Not very much.

We are an old club which (along with the other clubs in the region) has evolved out of serious competition; we have many "senior" members of the NAR who are builders.

There were two major cycles of substantial changes to the rules. IIRC, this was written around the time of the first set and many members held the opinion that "this spelled the final end" of Pink Book competition as we knew it.

That is why I never went "national" with the idea before.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 05-06-2023, 09:37 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
So, the idea is to "scrap" rule 9.9 ( Modeler must construct his own model ) . . .

Yes!

Quote:
Overall, I like this idea and I would support it . . . EXCEPT in the Craftsmanship Events ( Classic Model, Concept Scale, Plastic Model Conversion, Scale, Scale Altitude, Sport Scale ).

Yes, I said that too.

Quote:
I could see a few small rocket companies springing up, selling "RTF" or "ARF" competition models . . . Particularly in the Glider events, as long as they don't get "greedy" and charge $30-$50, for a model that uses $5 worth of parts .

Now, I fully expect to hear the "their time costs money and they need to charge for it" argument . . . Go down that path and this idea is doomed.

Frankly, we are attempting to attract KIDS to NAR Competition . . . So, having to shell out $200 - $300 for 5 or 6 pre-built, competition models that are likely to be lost on their first flight, is a "non-starter", for the most part !

Dave F.

The idea was not to open it up for commercial RTF though that would be legal but to allow borrowing or a gift from a mentor.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Craftsman

I don't remember if this was covered earlier in the thread, but I finally got my head around how the annual NRC categories work. Okay, out of all the 2023-2024 events, maybe I could get interested in Payload Altitude. But not with a B motor.

It's like the SCCA only running CSP for the whole year of autocross. You have or want to build and ASP or ESP car? Too bad, you'll just have to sit it out until we decide to run those classes some other year. No, we don't know when that will be. WTH?

A friend I was discussing this with hit the nail on the head:

>>But the main issue to my mind is that in any given year, the rockets NAR wants to compete with aren't what I'm interested in building that year.

Or ever, perhaps.

Now that I finally understand this, it seems blindingly obvious that one thing keeping participation low is the severely limited scope of what competition is sanctioned in any given year. I could get up to my elbows in competition, but have frankly less than zero interest in any of the events being offered for the next 12 months.

Except Giant Sport Scale. That might be fun at NARAM. But it's just one thing, and there probably won't be a bunch of local competitions through the year in that category.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarYellow
Now that I finally understand this, it seems blindingly obvious that one thing keeping participation low is the severely limited scope of what competition is sanctioned in any given year. I could get up to my elbows in competition, but have frankly less than zero interest in any of the events being offered for the next 12 months.

If you leave it up to 200 people to decide what they feel like flying at the moment, how many will pick the same events? You will have a lot of freedom to pick and choose what you feel like doing, but your pool of competitors who happen to feel like flying whatever you feel like flying will be limited. But, you already have that sort of option by flying non-NRC events.
MTMA Section #606 President