Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The G-T has just moved to the coming soon list. It is the most requested on the list, but it has many issues. It is not a very accurate scale model; semi-scale is a generous description. The original came out about the same time as the K-22 V-2, which is also a semi-scale at best .It is one of our most successful xKits, even with its problems. Nostalgia is probably the reason.

The plastic fins are the biggest problem. I will try laser cut Lexan 3/32" clear fins when I get time The original CAB fins are hard to do for most modelers. Like the Saturn 1B, the G-T will probably be closer to the original version than trying to make it into something else (like a faithful scale model ).

The final problem is the price. It has lots of parts make it a $40+ kit which makes it too expensive. for most people. An option is to just release it as an xKit; a bag of parts for experts.
Carl, an xKit of the GT-3 would be fine by me; I'd be perfectly happy with xKits of the MPC Miniroc kits as well. Xkits of these and other small rockets (the Aero-Hi, Javelin/Super Flea, Rogue, Mini-Dactyl, and Nova mini motor-powered kits, etc.) would also make good bulk-packaged school and youth group kits, as including just one print-out of each kit's instructions from JimZ or Ye Olde Rocket Plans (including the URLs so that the teachers could print out more copies if desired, although they could just photocopy the one) with the parts would enable them to conduct group kit-building, painting, and flying sessions.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 07-21-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Craftsman

Question

Just out of curiosity.........

Those of you who have a collection of unbuilt kits (either because you collect kits or just can't resist buying all the great rockets Semroc comes out with), how do you store them?

I had to clean out my rocket work area in my basement, because during the heavy rains our area had this spring/summer, I got some seepage in parts of my basement where there never was seepage before. Nothing important got wet, but it was time to clean and reorganize. I built a shelf under my work bench (if you call laying boards over the side braces of said bench "building" ) and placed my many shipping boxes containing kits on the shelf, filling said shelf pretty much up.

I am considering getting appropriate sized plastic tubs or boxes to put kits, supplies, launch stuff, and the like into. How do you store your kits if you use such tubs.....flat?.....on edge?.....

Thanks,

Curtis
Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Something like this works for me.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-5...orage+container

Maybe not specifically the ones shown but something like that.

I like the ones you can see through. It makes it easier to find a specific kit.

I get mine st my local Family Dollar Store.

They stack better if you stay with one standard size.

I'm just saying.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger

Those of you who have a collection of unbuilt kits (either because you collect kits or just can't resist buying all the great rockets Semroc comes out with), how do you store them?

I had to clean out my rocket work area in my basement, because during the heavy rains our area had this spring/summer, I got some seepage in parts of my basement where there never was seepage before. Nothing important got wet, but it was time to clean and reorganize. I built a shelf under my work bench (if you call laying boards over the side braces of said bench "building" ) and placed my many shipping boxes containing kits on the shelf, filling said shelf pretty much up.

I am considering getting appropriate sized plastic tubs or boxes to put kits, supplies, launch stuff, and the like into. How do you store your kits if you use such tubs.....flat?.....on edge?.....

Thanks,

Curtis

I use Rubbermaid totes for kit storage. Each one is numbered and then I track the contents with a spreadsheet. I have a pegboard in the hobby room that I hang my favorites on. Smaller clear bins for parts and supply storage.

Buzz
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Something like this works for me.

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-5...orage+container

Maybe not specifically the ones shown but something like that.

I like the ones you can see through. It makes it easier to find a specific kit.

I get mine st my local Family Dollar Store.

They stack better if you stay with one standard size.

I'm just saying.

Me Too! What he said!
I use the Sterilite 64 to 66 qt size clear plastic storage boxes. These are the right size for most kits, even some large ones. These bins have locking lids and one can stack a dozen on top of each other (as long as we're talking rocket kits, that is).
I have mine numbered with each one's contents written in a master notebook. This is not only important for ease of finding a particular kit, but it is necessary for insurance in case something really bad happens (fire, flood, mad wife/girlfriend...). A good video taping of your stuff isn't bad, either, for insurance purposes.
I'm up to 30 bins! I have yet to bin-ify such things as Sat V kits and kits already in large boxes, because they are protected by their own packaging and won't get wet in my shop.
I still should inventory them better, tho...

Allen
Old 07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Doing the G-T as an X-Kit would be fine by me and I think most other BARs.
I don't know about being an 'expert' but most on this forum are certainly accomplished model builders.
Tell 'em to print the instructions off for the original K-21 from the Jim Z site or another.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Master Modeler

It was nice to have my question answered in such a definitive fashion.

I've never built an egg lofter or a clustered rocket and when I saw the Egg Crate, I knew it would be on the order as well as the Red Eye. It's been my favorite of the lofters.

I purchased Semroc's Vega as well, to go with the Centurion and 'Bertha. I like that class of rocket and most manufacturerers have one. I don't know if I'll ever get a Big Betty, but if a deal or convenient opportunity turns up—maybe.

Finally, I snagged a Stellar Spartan. For two reasons: One, I've thought that any self respecting Centuri fanboy should have one in their collection and; two, Semroc is so good as to toss in the Red Eye as a free kit to it's SAM's, I felt it was a good time to add a 'Spartan to an order.

Looking forward to that Semroc box. I really don't need any more rockets to build (I have a right fair back-log). I just want that Semroc fix. I don't know why.

Thank you Semroc folks.

Last edited by foamy : 07-26-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Master Modeler

My order arrived yesterday and included the Egg Crate, the Satellite Killer, the Red Eye and Yung'Un's Nuke. My unbuilt kit stash is now well over 200
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Craftsman

Who does your graphics? I thought the "warinspace2013" ad piece was really great!

Also, thanks for all who gave me ideas about un-built kit storage. I now have most of my kits in plastic boxes and will need to get another one.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger

Who does your graphics? I thought the "warinspace2013" ad piece was really great!

Also, thanks for all who gave me ideas about un-built kit storage. I now have most of my kits in plastic boxes and will need to get another one.

It really was a relief when I finally organized my stash of kits. You can always get more...er...boxes!

Allen