Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Very Nice Pics.
Especially the B16-5/B3-0
I know at one point Carl at Semroc was going to re-create many of the old core burners, but he never was able to get back into producing motors before he unfortunately passed.
He truly was a one-of-a-kind gem to our hobby we likely will never see again.

Thank you for remembering Carl. During the last few months, he and Bruce were working on the BP engines. They had the building finished and they were testing some they had made. Needed some tweaking but we were close. BTY, Bruce did not include the engine machine with the sale.

Sheryl
Old 12-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I am going to post pictures of some of the older motors in my collection. I started in 1967 and have been a NAR member from 1968. Served on S&T and other NAR committees, but my military moves meant that I usually could not chair a committee long. Was on the Board of Trustees for nine years.
My motors are stored in a way that only the ones used for flying are readily accessible. When pulled out they all looked like this. The red ammo can was the first.

Has DHS contacted you about your arsenal yet?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl@Semroc
Thank you for remembering Carl. During the last few months, he and Bruce were working on the BP engines. They had the building finished and they were testing some they had made. Needed some tweaking but we were close. BTY, Bruce did not include the engine machine with the sale.

Sheryl
Hello, Sheryl.

We, in the rocket community, will ALWAYS remember Carl as a true innovator and gentleman. Those who met, and talked with Carl, you and Bruce, have nothing but great memories that will live within us. Thank You, for all you have done, for all of us.

Jack
NAR 4619
TRA 5434 L2

Last edited by Rocketflyer : 12-15-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:19 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl@Semroc

Sheryl

+1 to what "rocketflyer" said above...

Well, there ya go GH... make a deal to buy the motor machine and get to cranking out those B14's... we be lined up to buy them!

Later! OL JR
Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I would also include my appreciation of Sheryl and Carl. They graciously hosted John Dyer of Red River Rocketry and me years ago for a visit after an East Coast NARAM. Not only did we get to see the day to day efforts of SEMROC, but the early works on a motor machine. Recently I was looking for some small tubes and was puzzled by a couple. Realized they were tubes Carl gave us that he had for planned 13mm B motors like the old Centuri motors. He is truly missed.

This actually leads to the next picture which includes an extra Estes 1/2A from a Standards and Testing session, a SEMROC A8-3 from 1970, a C6-5 sample from a make your own ad in Popular Science or Mechanics from the late '69s or early '70s (two motors one of which failed when static tested hence the red stripes and they came with a small rocket like an 18mm Mosquito with Popsicle stick fins - still have the small hardwood nose cone), Rocket Supply Company A6-0 motor with no date - also a test stand fail, Cox D8-3 from 1972 - great motor that varied from 11 to 13 nt-sec in a standard case (only booster and dash 3 delays), and two AAA Pyrotechnical Research motors - a B6-4 and C6-5. No date code, but the adhesive wrap suggests relabeling. Looks like Estes nozzle. AAA was famous for early HPR kits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  848.9 KB  
Old 12-15-2015, 07:48 PM

From our friends to the North we had Canaroc motors. The 18mm were in paper casings while their 24mm were in plastic. I do not know about the propellant, but the nozzles were a tar or asphalt like substance.

A box of B6-4 motor from 1979 with igniters that had stiff wires with what I imagine are nichrome bridges, a D18-7 from 1981, end view of 18mm nozzle, and a blister pack of C6-7 motors which may predate the boxed motors. No date visable.
Attached Thumbnails

Views: 129
Size:  885.3 KB  
Old 12-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
and two AAA Pyrotechnical Research motors - a B6-4 and C6-5. No date code, but the adhesive wrap suggests relabeling. Looks like Estes nozzle. AAA was famous for early HPR kits.

I take it that AAA Pyrotechnical Research eventually became or got renamed AAA Model Aviation Fuels, owned by Alexander Andrake?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:57 PM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Had never seen the Uni-Jet before. Thanks, Chaz!
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 12-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Okay, roller coaster time...

Model Rocket Industries was a '60s company. Paper tubes and balsa cones. I flew a model on a MRI B3-3 that barely cleared the rod and ejected on the ground. Model Products Corp. made plastic models among other products and bought MRI. MPC brought in G Harry Stine to design kits and be an advocate. MPC produced 18mm motors and a 13mm line in answer to the Estes 13mm Mimibrute motors. The MPC motors were longer so that they could make a mini-B. Around 3-3.5 nt-sec, IIRC.

MPC introduced many plastic parts as they made plastic models.

When MPC punted their model rocketry line, AVI was formed to continue the effort. Later on many products were incorporated into the Quest line. I have in my collection a MRI Zenith Two kit, the MPC Zenith Two kit, and the Quest version.
Attached Thumbnails

Views: 138
Size:  1.06 MB  
Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Okay, edited the photo, but it is not verticals. Sorry.

Aerospace Vehicles Incorperated bought or assumed the rocketry side from MPC. I had previously helped certify motors from MPC with Myke Bergenske. In addition to the motors from the MPC days, AVI established a line of Gold motors, many of which were aimed at competition.
They claimed increased accuracy in designation and delays. Unless they were outside a set designation the NAR Standards and Testing allowed the manufacturer to market motors as claimed (most manufactures set their other motors the same as established brands like Estes and Centuri to gain equivalency and avoid confusion. Only the thrust-time curves - subject to change with propellant supplies - told the true story).

AVI Astroport 18mm D6.1-3.25 and 6.75 from 1975. Subject to casing burn through due to longer burn time. 24mm E11.8-9.75 and -7.50 from 1978. My favorite was the -4.25 second delay in my Estes Maxi-Brute Honest Jofn with the FSI 27mm motor mount. But I digress.
33mm F23-6.50 from 1978.
Tiny competition motors of 6mm if I recall correctly. 1/4A1.7-4.00 and 1/2A1.5-3, both from 1975.
Attached Thumbnails

Views: 139
Size:  910.1 KB