Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Boy I completely forgot about those Early ones that were started by Dorffler, then finished by me. This should be everything else designed by someone other then me up to actually this point and time. In addition to the kits I've also done the two new launch controllers and all the new plastic accessories, including the E2X plastic stuff, plus lots of other small things here and there. I've also done all the bring backs which in most cases are more work for me to do then starting from scratch.

Air Commander- Mike Dorffler
Laser Lance- Mike Dorffler
Vagabond- Mike Dorfller
Hyper Bat- Mike Dorffler

Rouge Voyager - Mike Zaborowski-Hobbico
Astron Sprint XL- Mike Zaborowski-Hobbico
Astron II Launch Pad- Mike Zaborowski-Hobbico

MERV- Jason ?

John Boren

I hope someone is capturing all this - great info on the history of our hobby!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
It's better to check in here first, rather than have many people call Estes with the same question.

I lost the little white plastic screw-on motor/fin-unit retainer. Is it possible to get a replacement from Estes?

I know you're getting a compatible replacement cap in the mail, but for others in the same situation:
I received the new retainers in the mail today, and tried it on the Sat. V. Since the caps are shorter than the white ones they will not lock down the fin unit. But, the thread pitches appear to be the same so.....
I cut a 1/8" thick spacer ring to make up the difference. This will work. I suppose you could also use a thick rubber O ring, or stack three or four centering rings of the proper size. Anything to make up the difference and lock down the fin unit.
And John, I realize Estes probably frowns down on jury rigged solutions. But this is an alternative that will work, in lieu scavenging off an RTF that not all people may have. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_20190729_153021.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  530.4 KB  
Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
I know you're getting a compatible replacement cap in the mail, but for others in the same situation:
I received the new retainers in the mail today, and tried it on the Sat. V. Since the caps are shorter than the white ones they will not lock down the fin unit. But, the thread pitches appear to be the same so.....
I cut a 1/8" thick spacer ring to make up the difference. This will work. I suppose you could also use a thick rubber O ring, or stack three or four centering rings of the proper size. Anything to make up the difference and lock down the fin unit.
And John, I realize Estes probably frowns down on jury rigged solutions. But this is an alternative that will work, in lieu scavenging off an RTF that not all people may have. Cheers.

That’s cool, I have a feeling from the form factor that the new retainers will be heavier than the included retainer.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
I cut a 1/8" thick spacer ring to make up the difference. This will work.

Good news! Thank-you for sharing this with us.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

I just got some of the new 18mm retainers from AC Supply and agree with BARGeezer's assessment that you can't tighten it down far enough to hold the fin unit on properly. But it stops going on before the inside is bottomed on the motor tube, so I think John Boren's comment that the threads are NOT the same is correct (and he should know, since he likely designed both parts).

However I can also say, now that I've tried it, that the retainer cap from an 18mm Estes ARF model (I used a Phantom Blue's cap to see) WILL work as a direct replacement to the one that comes with the Saturn V and therefore also properly retain the fins.

Other models that use this retainer are the Solaris, the Hyper Dart, Power Patrol and Dazzler. Also the currently available Galaxy Glow, Mix-it-Up, Space Crater and Flip Flyer E2Xs as well as the recently discontinued Mix-N-Match 50 parts set use this part. There may be others. Basically any RTF or E2X that has a BT-50 body diameter and a screw-on motor retention cap should have one that will work with the RTF 1/200 Saturn V.

In the picture, left to right, are the retainer rings from my Saturn V (over a dozen flights now), a Galaxy Glow and one of the new 18mm retainer rings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1576.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  1.15 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM
Launching since 1970.

I bought two cases (6 per case) of the 1:200 Saturn V for our club members. I have one left.

We've been flying them and they are great on the C6-3 - slow and decent altitude. With the C12-4, they go very fast and straight off the rod.

I may buy another case soon, and then more cases when the second generation version becomes available.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Master Modeler

I just checked and you should be able to used the screw on engine retainer from any of the BT-55 E2X models that Estes Offers as well as any of the BT-50 size ones.

The big question I have is why are people losing the screw on retainer that comes with the 2160 Saturn V. Is it normal to loose these retainers on other Estes E2X \ ARF models.

John Boren
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Launching since 1970.

Maybe they melted or otherwise damaged them?

As seen on TV:
https://attachment.outlook.live.net...&animation=true

https://attachment.outlook.live.net...&animation=true

Quote:
I just checked and you should be able to used the screw on engine retainer from any of the BT-55 E2X models that Estes Offers as well as any of the BT-50 size ones.

The big question I have is why are people losing the screw on retainer that comes with the 2160 Saturn V. Is it normal to loose these retainers on other Estes E2X \ ARF models.

John Boren
Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
The big question I have is why are people losing the screw on retainer that comes with the 2160 Saturn V.

Mine worked itself loose and rolled off under my dining room table. My wife threw the little plastic piece of junk away. I couldn't be mad at her. It really looks like a little plastic piece of junk, especially after getting roasted after a few flights.

If this happened outside, and landed in the grass unnoticed... forget it. It's gone.

It's the only essential part of the rocket other than the motor that is not affixed to the rocket. It's removable and not attached.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 08-23-2019, 11:08 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector

[…]

I may buy another case soon, and then more cases when the second generation version becomes available.
[…]

Fred,
I hadn’t heard about a 2nd generation version of the 1:200 Saturn V. Or were you referring to mention of a companion N-1 in 1:200 scale?
I’d jump on that. I bought two of the Saturn Vs, and would probably get a couple of the N-1s if they become reality.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp