Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Ciderwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Best I can do on the TERRIER booster . . . NOTE the DIFFERENT fins on the Booster.

Dave F.

Interesting that they flew the 17" payload Sandhawk with one of the Nike fin sets on the Terrier. And the overall design really does look like an upscaled Nike Tomahawk.

So I wonder if your drawing above is for the 'BT3' Terrier fins. At least I think that's what the Sandhawk figure reads.
(Edit: It looks like it is, based on converting to metric and adding things up. At least to the nearest centimeter. I looked for RIM-2C fin drawings, too, but didn't find any. But it looks like the RIM-2D to 2F fins would be at least 6cm more span.)

It looks like the Nike-Sandhawk and Terrier Sandhawk would make nice 1/6.5 scale PSII type rockets. Sandhawk with the 2" tube. Nike with 2.5". Terrier with BT80.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Last edited by aeppel_cpm : 10-21-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Banned

A few more things . . .

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  terni.gif
Views: 28
Size:  10.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ter-nike.gif
Views: 26
Size:  9.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Terrier HTR 25.GIF
Views: 27
Size:  70.1 KB  
Old 10-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Banned

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Terrier-dimensions.gif
Views: 19
Size:  39.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Terrier-colors-small.gif
Views: 25
Size:  27.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1a.JPG
Size:  182.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  1b.JPG
Size:  136.5 KB  

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 10-21-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Interesting that they flew the 17" payload Sandhawk with one of the Nike fin sets on the Terrier. And the overall design really does look like an upscaled Nike Tomahawk.

So I wonder if your drawing above is for the 'BT3' Terrier fins. At least I think that's what the Sandhawk figure reads.
(Edit: It looks like it is, based on converting to metric and adding things up. At least to the nearest centimeter. I looked for RIM-2C fin drawings, too, but didn't find any. But it looks like the RIM-2D to 2F fins would be at least 6cm more span.)

It looks like the Nike-Sandhawk and Terrier Sandhawk would make nice 1/6.5 scale PSII type rockets. Sandhawk with the 2" tube. Nike with 2.5". Terrier with BT80.

Terrier BT3 fins ar NOT Nike fins . . . The planform is different.

The "drawing" shows Sandhawk 13 fins . . . Sandhawk 17 fins are different at the aft end of the Booster and larger.

Dave F.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Ciderwright

I understand the Terrier and Nike fins aren’t the same. To my eye, it looks like the Terrier Sandhawk-17 in Fig 1 is specifying Nike M12 fins on the -Terrier- booster. Likely for a little more stability with those fat payload fins on the sustainer.

And I think the BT-3 fins -are- the first ones you posted. While you haven’t posted a RIM-2C (aka BT-3) you can see that the D seems to have extensions to the span. And the F and HTR seem to have the D planiform with a double wedge profile, rather than the diamond pictured in the D and the drawings/photos higher up the thread.

I’m thinking that as they increased the Cp contributing area in the Navy sustainer, they increased the span on the Terrier. I’m guessing the Sandhawk-17 predates that and they just borrowed appropriate Nike fins. The planiforms of the Sandhawk fins sure look borrowed from the Tomahawk- though I’m guessing they are upscaled 13/9 and 17/12. (But I haven’t done the math)
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 10-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
I understand the Terrier and Nike fins aren’t the same. To my eye, it looks like the Terrier Sandhawk-17 in Fig 1 is specifying Nike M12 fins on the -Terrier- booster. Likely for a little more stability with those fat payload fins on the sustainer.

And I think the BT-3 fins -are- the first ones you posted. While you haven’t posted a RIM-2C (aka BT-3) you can see that the D seems to have extensions to the span. And the F and HTR seem to have the D planiform with a double wedge profile, rather than the diamond pictured in the D and the drawings/photos higher up the thread.

I’m thinking that as they increased the Cp contributing area in the Navy sustainer, they increased the span on the Terrier. I’m guessing the Sandhawk-17 predates that and they just borrowed appropriate Nike fins. The planiforms of the Sandhawk fins sure look borrowed from the Tomahawk- though I’m guessing they are upscaled 13/9 and 17/12. (But I haven’t done the math)

I am puzzled by the "M12" designation . . . Nike Boosters are designated "M5" ( M5E1, for example ). I have never seen the "M12" reference before.

Dave F.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:59 AM
Ciderwright

Nike Ajax fins
https://books.google.com/books/abou...=9 DfWAAAAMAAJ

It looks like the motor was M5 and the fins M12

Edit - sorry that link doesn't land where I thought it would.

https://books.google.com/books?id=9...epage&q&f=false
Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Last edited by aeppel_cpm : 10-22-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

Thanks again for the scale data.

The attachment has fin patterns, shrouds and fin mounts for a nominal 1/10 scale Ute or Paiute. The Sport Scale fin is slightly over-sized in chord and span. The pattern is from the Ute-Tomahawk brochure. It's what I used for my Ute prototype and it has flown several times without so much as a chipped fin. The scale fin is from the cool scale data posted in this thread. It too has a slight scale deviation at the bottom cutaway. It seems that the boat-tail on the real thing was not a true cone but tapered more near the bottom. Also, the fin mounts themselves were on individual areas of the boat-tail that could best be described as bulged. That's way more trouble than I'm going to go to for 1/10 scale so I adjusted the lower root edge of the fin pattern to allow it to fit a straight tapered boat-tail.

There's a scale to make sure you printed correctly and the little line on the fins is the point where tube/boat-tail joint goes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Scan_20191022.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  392.2 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 11-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

I found some Paiute pictures on the Web! And it looks like there were some 12" payloads on Paiute-Tomahawks but not like the payload for Nike-Tomahawks. I have no idea what order they are going to upload in, so I'll edit as necessary.

First is a lift-off of a Paiute-Tomahawk from White Sands. It's hard to take much from the picture other than to identify it.

Second is a recovery picture of a Tomahawk payload again at White Sands. From the mountain in the background, this recovery was fairly far up the range.

Third is the Paiute-Tomahawk with that same style payload. The launch site looks like the Navy area at WSMR, but I don't remember any trees so it might be Wallops.

Last is a Wallops picture with a three-fin Nike-Tomahawk in the foreground, but four Paiute-Tomahawks on the launchers behind it. This was part of an Aladdin Project launch in the mid '70's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  WSMR Paiute-Tomahawk.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  163.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WSMR Paiute-Tomahawk Recovery.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  448.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  WSMR-Rocket.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  306.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ALADDIN 1974.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  274.7 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades:

I found some Paiute pictures on the Web! And it looks like there were some 12" payloads on Paiute-Tomahawks but not like the payload for Nike-Tomahawks. I have no idea what order they are going to upload in, so I'll edit as necessary.

First is a lift-off of a Paiute-Tomahawk from White Sands. It's hard to take much from the picture other than to identify it.

Second is a recovery picture of a Tomahawk payload again at White Sands. From the mountain in the background, this recovery was fairly far up the range.

Third is the Paiute-Tomahawk with that same style payload. The launch site looks like the Navy area at WSMR, but I don't remember any trees so it might be Wallops.

Last is a Wallops picture with a three-fin Nike-Tomahawk in the foreground, but four Paiute-Tomahawks on the launchers behind it. This was part of an Aladdin Project launch in the mid '70's.

Nice find on the pics . . . Good hunting !

Dave F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNATXi-a8E8