Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 08:12 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

They obviously are planning on doing something big or they wouldn't be interested in hiring new BP/APCP rocket motor design engineers. That's a very specialized skill set with very few qualified candidates to select from.
Most solid Propellant missiles use double-based propellants that I don't even think are legal for hobby-use, so that rules out retired designers of those systems.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-21-2020, 08:21 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Matt just told me that (the pressable composites thing) was mostly Scott Dixon's baby, and the project died after he quit working with Estes. That caused me to look at the patent again, and I saw that it just sat there until it was abandoned during the Hobbico bankruptcy in 2016. Since none of the three inventors work for Estes, and it may be that John did not receive the application as part of the purchase (it stayed with "Estes-Cox"), it's possible that only Scott Dixon could revive it, but since it has been published, anyone can make something based on it.
Roy, thanks for the additional info. I don't think even Matt really understands why it went away (technical issues, financial issues, not really a cabbage-patch-toy kind of product issue?). But you don't have to be very good at reading tea leaves to understand how exciting Estes looking for new motor engineer(s) is.

It is really hard to overstate how thrilled I am at what is happening at Estes. It's like this magnificent tool that was allowed to rust and decay has now fallen into the hands of master craftsmen (the Langfords and Bill Stine). My understanding is that the tool has already been seriously refurbished, restored, and reinvigorated.

I can't wait to see what they produce.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:56 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Roy, thanks for the additional info. I don't think even Matt really understands why it went away (technical issues, financial issues, not really a cabbage-patch-toy kind of product issue?). But you don't have to be very good at reading tea leaves to understand how exciting Estes looking for new motor engineer(s) is.

It is really hard to overstate how thrilled I am at what is happening at Estes. It's like this magnificent tool that was allowed to rust and decay has now fallen into the hands of master craftsmen (the Langfords and Bill Stine). My understanding is that the tool has already been seriously refurbished, restored, and reinvigorated.

I can't wait to see what they produce.

yea, I wish I could be part of it, but I don't know where I would even fit in.

I could see any number of reasons why EB-75 might not work in practice: Shelf life, production handling, maybe the machine has to be significantly different from the black powder machines.. But isn't that basically what the Klima motors are? Are there any shelf-life issues with them?
Old 06-21-2020, 12:16 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Years ago Bill Stine posted that Quest was looking into importing Klima motors.

Maybe Estes is looking into using the same manufacturing technology.