Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2020, 04:55 PM
Master Modeler

Default New Space Stuff On Disney+

If you’re a Disney+ subscriber the Disneyland TV show episodes “Man in Space” and “Mars and Beyond“ are FINALLY available! They announced these as April releases but for some unexplained reason they didn’t drop until today. Both are great fun - Willy Ley and Werner Von Braun are featured on-screen explaining things and the animated launch and space sequences are nicely done. Some of the other segments, well, they’re sort of typical mid-century Disney - corny and a bit over-simplified - but I guess you have to consider the times. Now why the first and third episodes are there but the second - “Man and the Moon” - isn’t is odd, not sure why it wouldn’t be available as well.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:08 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
If you’re a Disney+ subscriber the Disneyland TV show episodes “Man in Space” and “Mars and Beyond“ are FINALLY available! They announced these as April releases but for some unexplained reason they didn’t drop until today. Both are great fun - Willy Ley and Werner Von Braun are featured on-screen explaining things and the animated launch and space sequences are nicely done. Some of the other segments, well, they’re sort of typical mid-century Disney - corny and a bit over-simplified - but I guess you have to consider the times. Now why the first and third episodes are there but the second - “Man and the Moon” - isn’t is odd, not sure why it wouldn’t be available as well.
I guess I'll need to look at Disney+ again. I had a short free trial period a while back and used it to binge watch the Mandalorian series which the wife and I both really enjoyed. Thanks for the heads up.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-27-2020, 10:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I guess I'll need to look at Disney+ again. I had a short free trial period a while back and used it to binge watch the Mandalorian series which the wife and I both really enjoyed. Thanks for the heads up.

D+ is ok if you’re a Disney/Star Wars/Marvel fan or have children who are Disney fans - like my twin granddaughters - or just really dig the nostalgia of watching some of the oddball Disney live action movies from 50s/60s (Go Medfield College - beat Midvale!). We did the multiple years for cheap intro offer but I don’t know if I’d pay much more than that for it. Though if they keep adding original SW content as good as The Mandalorian I’ll probably keep it - Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni should be THE ONLY people in charge of Star Wars EVER!

I probably saw the original Star Wars movie over a dozen times when it came out, next to the best episodes of Clone Wars and all of The Mandalorian, Star Wars, 1977 is (IMO) the best thing George Lucas has ever done.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:35 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
I probably saw the original Star Wars movie over a dozen times when it came out, next to the best episodes of Clone Wars and all of The Mandalorian, Star Wars, 1977 is (IMO) the best thing George Lucas has ever done.
I agree George Lucas at his finest. Seeing Episode IV as a teenager in 1977 on the big screen is just something that I’ll never forget.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 06-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I agree George Lucas at his finest. Seeing Episode IV as a teenager in 1977 on the big screen is just something that I’ll never forget.

One of the MOST memorable viewings was at the long since torn down Skyview Drive-In with a carload of girls who didn’t get invited to prom

Which, in early June 1977, was called just “Star Wars” - no episode number or subtitle.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:02 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:

I was 11 when Star Wars came out, and was fortunate to be visiting my Uncle in Chicago. He said “Everyone is talking about it, why don’t we go see it”. We went to a downtown theater and saw it on a massive screen I think only seen in IMAX theaters now, before theaters like that were subdivided into many smaller screens. It was incredible, and I saw it two more times over that summer. No one now can understand the impact it had on audiences going in cold. I can’t remember a more raucous crowd, cheering and hollering when Death Star exploded as if we were all on Yavin.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My wife and I moved to San Francisco area in May 1977 after taking a job with Hewlett-Packard in Palo Alto. We started seeing commercials for this new movie called Star Wars. Looked like it might be fun.

When it opened, the crowds were so massive we did not get in. We finally got in to see it on the 3rd day. (After the hordes camping out to get in finally calmed a bit, and the fact we left the house very early that day.)

Like most, we were blown away by the experience.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-28-2020, 06:41 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
One of the MOST memorable viewings was at the long since torn down Skyview Drive-In with a carload of girls who didn’t get invited to prom

Which, in early June 1977, was called just “Star Wars” - no episode number or subtitle.
It’s funny you mention that because it was always just “Star Wars” to me and my friends too. My wife had her grandson over and he had seen a few of the movies. He’s was about 9 or 10 at the time and he envied my 9-Disc Star Wars: The Complete Saga so we gave him that same set for Christmas that year. Whenever I tell him that I saw the “first one” when I was in high school he thinks I am talking about Episode I so now I refer to all of the movies by episode number with him since he recognizes them that way. I guess to him it’s odd they would start the movies at that point in the story.
+1 to the Drive-In for a movie experience. Back in the day ours was the Westgate Drive-In or the Do Drive-In and I actually found pictures online of these. Too bad everyone can’t experience a movie that way at least once!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/05/e...a74a716c856.jpg

http://photos.cinematreasures.org/p....jpg?1400820827
SAM# 0052

Old 06-28-2020, 07:42 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
It’s funny you mention that because it was always just “Star Wars” to me and my friends too.... < snip >

Same here. My older sister worked at 20th century Fox in Boston and started bringing me promotional pamphlets and posters that were being sent out to Industry people and press for something called 'Star Wars' that looked unlike anything I'd ever seen. My brother and I went to the Boston premier showing, ended up sitting about 10 rows back from the screen dead center.

When the first ship came into view from the top of the screen, the crowd collectively said "Whoa". When the Star destroyer came over the crowd stood up and cheered - absolute chaos. Never had an experience like that at a movie before or since.

That Christmas, Lucas sent employees R2D2 Cookie Jars, which ended up on my bookcase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  R2D2_CookieJar.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  442.1 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 06-28-2020, 07:49 PM
Apollo Nut

For those who didn’t record their first Star Wars movie memories in this prior thread, feel free to add them, especially if the theatre where you saw it is still open.

Thread link: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/show...atre#post177074

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970