Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2005, 10:59 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Default "Houston, we have a problem...." - 5/30 Launch

Memorial Day.

A day to remember those who served our country. A day to be thankful for our freedoms. The unofficial first day of summer.

What better way to spend it than by launching rockets?

Ever since cleaning out my garage a few weeks ago and finding my long-lost rocket collection, I've had the itch to fly 'em. I was up north at the in-laws' last weekend, and I could fight the itch no more. I wound up buying the Estes Launchables starter kit, just to shoot something off.

But it wasn't enough. I had to get my old birds flying again.

This past Saturday was some more free time to kill, but not enough space. Seeing what some of my classics would cost to replace on eBay, I'm ultra-nervous about launching something rare. So, I took the kids up to our neighborhood park (about 100 yards square) and launched my #860 Star Dart and the #873 Hawkeye. Blew through a pack pf A10-3T's and dropped 'em back in the field each time. It's nice to know that I've still got my aim.

But it still wasn't enough. I had to get one of my sci-fi beauties up.

My Memorial Day plans were to take the kids to visit my brother north of Milwaukee. When I called to arrange things, he requested that I bring the rocket stuff. You see, my brother is also an old school rocketeer, and we were going to send some up together.

But what to take? I didn't want to lose anything rare. However, I recently hit the HL sale and picked up the #2183 Shuttle Xpress with the cockpit nose cone. A-ha! The selection then became easy, my naked #1973 Interceptor II. I figured if I lost it, I could always clone it with the SE nose cone, and even finish it with original decals.

Off to my bro's with gear in hand. He took me to a great place by his house, about 500 yards x 1000 yards and nothing but soccer goals. His selection? His fully ready #1284 Space Shuttle. We walked out to the middle, set up our pads and were ready to go.

First up was the Interceptor II, with a B6-4 for power. Boy, did she look gorgeous, extending almost all the way up the launch rod. My 5-year-old daughter provided the countdown, "5-4-3-2-1", and my 3-year-old son pushed the button.

BLAST-OFF!!!

Up into the sky the majestic bird went, higher and higher until the ejection charge blew, releasing the big ol' 18" chute. The descent was slow and graceful, and dropped about 200 yards downwind. I can't begin to describe the feeling of elation and pride, knowing that something I put together with my own hands over 18 years ago was still quite air-worthy.

Next-up, my brother's Space Shuttle. He chose a C6-3 for the large amount of weight. Watching him set up, I was surprised to see that the launch rod went in-between the shuttle and the boosters. I know it made sense, but it still looked a little odd just the same. Back to the controller, the countdown, and then launch!

UH-OH.....

The two syllables you hate to utter in that split second after the button press. The Shuttle immediately started arcing over once it left the pad, and stayed horizontal at about 50 feet up. Crap! It was headed straight for the tree-line! The impulse died, the coast, and then, Pop, the ejection just before the trees. Smack! Right into a high branch, and there she hung.
We walked over to survey the crime scene, and all that was on the ground was one of the stabilizer fins. Dangit!

Hmmm, let's just wait a minute here....

I did some careful inspection of our chlorophyll-powered criminal, and figured it "What the hell". So, like those days of my youth gone by, up that tree I went. Across a few branches and a couple of grunts and groans, and there I was, 20 feet up in the air getting that dang rocket back! A couple of shimmies (and a few shakes) and I was back on the ground, none the worse for wear.

With re-captured prize in hand, we walk back to the pad. So what does my brother do? What any true die-hard would! Out comes the masking tape, on goes the stabilizer fin, and the Shuttle is ready to go.

We launched the Interceptor II again, and had another beatuiful flight. My brother took two more shots with the Shuttle, but she kept going horizontal at about 100 feet. Luckily, he stayed away from the trees on the last two.

In all, it was a great day of fun. The sun was shining, there was little wind, and my kids had an absolute blast. I guess I'm just going to have to find a bigger field around my house, and get the rest of my fleet airborne!

Later,
EV
Old 06-03-2005, 07:25 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
My brother took two more shots with the Shuttle, but she kept going horizontal at about 100 feet. ...He chose a C6-3 for the large amount of weight... Luckily, he stayed away from the trees on the last two.

EV, I went back to the catalog pages and the plan sheets for the Shuttle stack, and they do suggest the C6-3. But notice the other motor -- the core-burning C5...

As I recall, there was some discussion even back when the kit was in production that the only motor that should have been recommended was the C5. The high-drag and beefy stack needs that very large spike of thrust just to get off the rod.

I'm wondering if anyone's had the opportunity to build one with a "D" mount? I know the balance would be different, and it might need some extra weight in the nose of the tank...

A cluster mount with two C6's might be enough to do the job...

Craig...