Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Indeed, after accidentally flying a couple of 1/2A6-4's in an Astron Scout at NARAM-50 (didn't realize they were LONG decertified), and finding they were the PERFECT motor for the Scout, I've used adapted 1/2A3-4Ts in it for even better flights.
With the four sec delay (on a half A), is it already over the top and heading down at ejection? I bet that makes for a very interesting flight

BTW, I think I only ever flew my clone once or twice, then retired it, so I don't have many flights to recall and can't remember what motor(s) I flew, but I'd swag ½A3-2T. That woulda been circa 2001.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
With the four sec delay (on a half A), is it already over the top and heading down at ejection? I bet that makes for a very interesting flight

BTW, I think I only ever flew my clone once or twice, then retired it, so I don't have many flights to recall and can't remember what motor(s) I flew, but I'd swag ½A3-2T. That woulda been circa 2001.

Doug

No! It is right at peak, so the tumbling starts immediately. That's what impressed me at NARAM. it was just *so* perfect. The adapted mini motor flight was just as good.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
The adapted mini motor flight was just as good.
At the risk of venturing off topic, I think that illustrates one of the challenges the T motors have always faced. Folks get it in their heads, at some level or another, that they're not as powerful as 18mm motors. I know, in my case, I lost a Quark all those years ago thinking that little 13mm motor wouldn't impart enough woosh to lose it. WRONG!

I think even Estes recognizes the paradigm of the form factor resulting in them selling four AxT motors for the price of three 18mm A motors.

In short, in most applications, the T motors can be readily substituted for the 18mm motors by just using spent motor cases as throw-away adapters. That gives us the ¼A3-3, ½A3-2 and -4, and full A3-4 and A10-3 motors to fly in shorty applications as well as full length. That is, with adapters, most of the 18mm A series could be replaced (altho I know that'll never happen). One thing the full sized A's do offer is the longer -5 delay, and maybe a bit more lifting thrust off the pad. And, as Fred will point out, the full sized A's have a larger nozzle which helps in staging, although I've had great success staging to the smaller ones.

So I believe you when you say your Scout flew just as well on the T motors

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-14-2021, 06:26 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I have added an online engine survey to get you input. This is in a constant state of change. As more engines are better characterized, the data will be updated. I will be adding some links to .eng files for Rocksim as I get them completed.

The engines longer than 3.25" are in the future, since they will require a new machine, but we do want to get an idea of interest in current sizes, as well as future sizes.

This survey is only for SAM's until we are ready for a larger public exposure. Please send your comments, errors, omissions, ideas, etc. in this thread. We want all SAM's to have as much input in this process as possible.

The link is Engine Survey. You have to login to see it. There is a current limit of 100 packs per engine so the results do not get badly skewed. (GH... don't break the B14 buttons! )

Does anyone have a copy of the list of motors from this survey? Thought I made a .pdf but can't find it. I know there were a few versions, so the later the better, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks in Advance,

Sean
SAM #0031