Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2005, 08:00 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Did my shopping today, and came away with a good stash of new models...

Oh, also spotted a bunch of kits in no less than 5 bushel baskets at the top of the aisle, but no one was around to grab a ladder. Saw a bunch of Mercury-Redstones and some additional X-Prize kits, maybe a few Quest kits, but couldn't tell what might have been down deeper inside them. These were young, didn't have any beards, but they had already developed vocal chords and were crying like babies wanting attention...

Didn't see a Moondog, though. I know they didn't have one before in those baskets, and if this is an OOP model, they probably didn't now...

...Though I did see ONE of Doug H's Swinger kits in the "Fun Rockets" box. Only one. It had been there a while...

Craig...
Old 07-08-2005, 10:01 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default A Quiet Week At The Hobby Lobby...

I managed to get over to the local HL today, and looked through what they had left...

The rocketry area looks like the aftermath of Ivan, lots of 'stuff' hanging around, but nothing of compelling interest.

No Screaming Mimi's at all, no CCX's, not even an Alpha or an Astra. I saw a couple of the SWT's, but nothing that really caught my kitbasher's eye. I 'needed' another SM and could have found a use for another CCX. The kits were located in two places this time, one location on a regular stock board, the other on the end of a nearby row along the main corridor. Seems like the selection is getting thinner and thinner each time I go there.

Does anyone else see a trend in the Quest kits being little more than over-recycled old designs transformed into supposedly new kits? And mostly quick-builds and EZ's?

THANK YOU SEMROC for having REAL kits!

What did I get? Just three kits this time -- a Baby Bertha, for a possible Goon conversion, an X-Prize Eagle, and an X-prize Rubicon. I figure I'll have a few hours over the next couple of days to work on something...

Should have stocked up on the Baby Bertha's, I think...

Craig McGraw
Old 07-09-2005, 04:28 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
What did I get? Just three kits this time -- a Baby Bertha, for a possible Goon conversion, an X-Prize Eagle, and an X-prize Rubicon. I figure I'll have a few hours over the next couple of days to work on something...

Should have stocked up on the Baby Bertha's, I think...

Craig McGraw

Which Goon are you thinking about? The Goonydent is next for me. I might get the Gonnybird Zero off the ground this weekend if my local flyin' bud calls. I think he occasionally appears here as Patriot Patty or something like that.
I hit the Eastgate HL the other day and picked up two Mimi's. That's a great kit for bashing and my funds are about to be diverted elsewhere. Maria has new house fever.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 07-09-2005, 10:02 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Which Goon are you thinking about? The Goonydent is next for me. I might get the Gonnybird Zero off the ground this weekend if my local flyin' bud calls. I think he occasionally appears here as Patriot Patty or something like that.
I hit the Eastgate HL the other day and picked up two Mimi's. That's a great kit for bashing and my funds are about to be diverted elsewhere. Maria has new house fever.

Right now, I haven't decided on which goon, just that I want to do one. I'm leaning toward one of the original goons, like Zoom Broom, but my final choice could be any one of them...

If you were into model trains, you would call it "Shopping for a basement with an attached house to keep the rain out..."

There's about to be some choice land available down here in Mobile and Baldwin Counties; a landscaping engineer named Dennis is about to rearrange the configuration of all the subdivisions and mobile home parks, and of course, he'll leave behind that "fresh breeze fragrance"...

Craig
Old 07-09-2005, 10:07 AM
BP Mafia

You mean "Dennis The Menace" . I wonder if Vegas was giving odds on which news outlet would be the first to dust off that turd?
If you're going with the traditional Goony, think about the Star Snoop. I think it's the only complete plan on JimZ's site (that isn't a bunny.) Come to think of it, I need to do a 1:1 of the Snoop also.
Keep your head down and good luck.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 07-09-2005, 11:08 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
You mean "Dennis The Menace" . I wonder if Vegas was giving odds on which news outlet would be the first to dust off that turd?

The local stations have already been doing that. I don't know which one said it first, but I think they've all said it...

Quote:
If you're going with the traditional Goony, think about the Star Snoop. I think it's the only complete plan on JimZ's site (that isn't a bunny.) Come to think of it, I need to do a 1:1 of the Snoop also.

That eyeball decal is the killer for the Snoop. I'd need to work that part out before tackling the model. I like the Goonydent, too.

I wonder what a Goony OT or a Goony SWT might look like? Curious...

Quote:
Keep your head down and good luck.

Thanks. Projections are slowly inching toward the ALA-FLA state line, which would put us on the backside of the storm. I'll take a storm's backside any day compared to a head-on collision! I've got six cases of Aquafina and a bunch of cans of Bush's Beans in the pantry, and I know how to use 'em! Watch that hurricane lamp, Maw! Don't git it too close!

Craig
Old 07-09-2005, 11:13 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
That eyeball decal is the killer for the Snoop. I'd need to work that part out before tackling the model.

Craig

It's not a decal. Just paint the cone black, then mask off the tip with a piece of scrap BT-20 and spray the blue. Then mask everything off with a piece of scrap BT-50 and spray it all white. Add some "red-eye" with a paint pen and VIOLIN, you're a goon!

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 07-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Quote:
I've got six cases of Aquafina and a bunch of cans of Bush's Beans in the pantry, and I know how to use 'em! Watch that hurricane lamp, Maw! Don't git it too close!

Craig

Whew! Hope everyone has a gas mask handy in the storm shelter!