Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I do not like Facebook

Default A caution about the Estes STM-012

The instructions say to install the aft centering ring 1" from the rear of the motor tube and the mount with the rear ends of the tubes even.

On mine, the aft ring is blocking the very end of the fin slots. The rear face of the aft centering ring is 1" from the end of the motor tube. I will have to trim a bit from the end of the fin tabs.

Perhaps the instructions should say to install the ring 7/8" or even 3/4" from the end of the motor tube.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Master Modeler

I took a look at a kit and sure enough I made a mistake when drawing the fins. I neglected to take into account the thickness of the rear centering ring. Dont be allarmed that part of the centering ring can be seen in the fin slot.

Future production runs of this kit will have updated fins. The easiest fix is to modify your fin is shown below. I also noticed that the bottom of the fin over the tube that holds the engine hook in place made contact before the rest of the root of the fin so I took a little more off this area as well.

John Boren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Fin Tab.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  36.2 KB  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I do not like Facebook

The motor tube is only 3 1/2" long instead of the expected 3 3/4" long. As instructed, an E motor protrudes 1/2" beyond the end of the tube. A motor hook generally needs around an inch or 1 1/4" to easily flex for motor insertion or removal.

If the instructions simply said to glue the aft centering ring 3/4" instead of 1" from the end of the motor tube, then not only will the ring clear the fin slots by a good margin (to allow for some tolerance of individual builders inaccuracies, such as measuring to the front of the ring versus rear or metric unit conversion), but the hook retainer tube is also moved aft, making your other fin tab adjustment unnecessary. I guess the fin cutting is easier to modify than the instructions? A large stack of instructions already printed?

Bill - amateur kit designer

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
A motor hook generally needs around an inch or 1 1/4"

From the end of the nozzle end of the motor to the rear centering ring there is a distance of 1.56" so I guess I met your requirements.

Changing balsa is always easier than changing instructions, plus I needed to shave an extra 10 thousandth’s off the bottom of the fin that makes contact with the tube that holds the engine hook in place.

John Boren
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
I took a look at a kit and sure enough I made a mistake when drawing the fins. I neglected to take into account the thickness of the rear centering ring. Dont be allarmed that part of the centering ring can be seen in the fin slot.
Future production runs of this kit will have updated fins. The easiest fix is to modify your fin is shown below. I also noticed that the bottom of the fin over the tube that holds the engine hook in place made contact before the rest of the root of the fin so I took a little more off this area as well.
John Boren

AWESOME! John, your presence here and your response to Bill is a perfect example how businesses should work and why YORF is a great place and THE forum for low-midpower rocketry. How great is it to have a consumer and a manufacturer rep speak directly and publicly about an issue and get a quick , honest, constructive response.

I know there are a couple of other suppliers that frequent the forums that would also handle issues this way as well but it's nice to see the main player responding in this manner.

If this were the norm for all businesses how much better would everything be?

It's nice to know this kind of thing still happens. Thanks for making my day!

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Any of you guys get any measurements of the fins for this rocket? I sure would LOVE to have them. I also would like to know the lengths of the body tubes and the motor mount.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigone5500
Any of you guys get any measurements of the fins for this rocket? I sure would LOVE to have them. I also would like to know the lengths of the body tubes and the motor mount.

Thanks.

Going to buy one is probably your huckleberry...they are cheap enough.

Allen
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Launching since 1970.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I'm%20your%20huckleberry
That is a bit more obscure to me than "Bob's your uncle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag

Allen
Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I'm%20your%20huckleberry
That is a bit more obscure to me than "Bob's your uncle".

Glad you liked it!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Bah... You're probably right...

But I sure do like scratch building...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag

Allen