Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Moon Landing Day 2019 at the Park

Comrades:

We got to do a Moon Landing Day launch at the park. My sister and I took the kids and my dad drove down and joined us. It was already 78 degrees at 7:30 when we started, with a very light breeze from the south. I didn't finish my Zooch Saturn V as I got bogged down making the little paper F1 engines but we had some neat flights just the same. SWMBO was having Morning of Beauty so my son manned the camera.

First off was my Bertha for a wind flight on C6-5. I tried out a Kevlar parachute shield in place of wadding and it seemed to work fine.

The next picture is Dad's V-2 and my nephew's sort of all-purpose rocket with a home-made parasite glider on board. They both flew fine. The all-purpose rocket has at least 50 flights on it between science fair launches and just fun flying.

My Ute-Tomahawk scale two-stager flew great! The flight picture didn't come out but it looks good on the pad. A10-0T to A10-3T. Staging was maybe thirty feet up. I decided to use the A10 sustainer motor because for the first flight I wanted to maximize my chances and the A10 nozzle is larger than the A3 nozzle when shooting burning particles.

I finally got my Enerjet Pterodactyl to fly and it really did well. It launched on my Glider-Launching-Rocket on B6-2. Not surprisingly, given the large wing area, it weathercocked right off the rod and was near horizontal at ejection. Glide was level and straight which lead to the longest recovery of the day. It landed just short of the river. I'm going to keep working on it.

Last picture is of my eBay rescue Arcas. First flight after rebuild was a tangled and stuck 'chute which lead to broken fins on impact. Today was better; B6-4 launch and good deployment and recovery.

I'll do a second post in a bit on the other rockets we launched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  bertha720.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  1.33 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  v2720.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  1.13 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ute720.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  1.19 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Ptero720.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  1.07 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Arcas720.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  1.20 MB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 07-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Dazed and Confused

Glad you got to fly today!

BTW, I've had great success with 1/4A3 and 1/2A3 upper stages. I can't remember if I've done A3 uppers. If I have, it's been several years. I usually scratch a little at the propellant to make sure stray clay nozzle material isn't in there, but that's it.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:13 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I don't know how anyone ever got an Enerjet Pterodactyl back when boosted by a F67 powered Aero Dart. Seems like a crafty ploy to sell more Pterodactyls. I don't think you could ever see one at 2600' even if Fluorescent Orange.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I had a few customers send along their own local launch tributes today. Very moving.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I don't know how anyone ever got an Enerjet Pterodactyl back when boosted by a F67 powered Aero Dart. Seems like a crafty ploy to sell more Pterodactyls. I don't think you could ever see one at 2600' even if Fluorescent Orange.
http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/fdart.htm

24mm. 2 gliders. Optimistic!
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

So the last few flights were all experienced rockets.

My nephew's Scout Viking on A8-5 was off without incident. But that little streamer just isn't going to cut it and will be replaced with maybe a 9" chute next time.

Both my dad and my nephew brought their Alway/BMS Arcas rockets. Both launched on A3-4T and recovered a little long as the breeze had freshened and there was some drift. I wish they'd do another run of these; they are good flyers and fun, simple builds.

Last was my Black Hole Space Probe clone with Semroc parts. Strangely, the mylar parachute didn't fully deploy until just before impact but the ground was fairly soft so no damage. The picture is a pretty good panarama of our park.

By this time, the breeze was too strong to have recovery within the park so we packed it up. I'll have some other stuff for first flight soon including my first 29mm rocket, an Enerjet Aero-Dart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  bhsp720.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  1.13 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  darcas720.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.58 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  earcas720.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  1.44 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  evik720.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.40 MB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 07-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I had to cancel my trip to Pueblo for the Apollo Celebration Launch, due to wrenching my back hauling moss rock for more landscaping work. Talk about poor timing.

My wife had to go to Denver today to our oldest daughter’s home today. She lives 5 miles from Bear Creek Lake Park, where the NAR section CRASH flies. I went with, I just had to fly my little Estes 1:200 Saturn V. Perfect flight on a C6-3. Deployed chute at apogee. Recovery was great, no dings or marks. I’d guess it flew to around 200 feet. Landed close by, fortunately, since I could barely walk.

That to me is the perfect motor for the rocket. Everyone could see the entire flight. Unfortunately, I forget to get my phone out to capture the flight. I thought about a second flight, and decided to call it quits.

I’m really quite impressed with the little Saturn. Well done, Estes!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-21-2019, 12:42 AM
Master Modeler

We had 46 flights at our club launch today, of which 13 were Saturns. 11 flights were turned in by four of those 1/200 Saturn Vs. All but two of these were on C6-3s and all went well.

I gritted my teeth and put up my just-completed #2157 1/100 Saturn V on an Aerotech E28-4. That went up in a HURRY! All three 'chutes were good and landing damage was minor (one loose fin, cracking at the base of the LES).

And....we had a 1/70 Saturn 1B from the Semroc kit, on a 4-motor cluster of C6s. I gave the owner some Q2G2s since I wanted to see it fly, not crash. That being an effective E24 it also went up in a hurry.

We also had a 1/70 Little Joe II and I put up my V-2 first built for NSL a couple of years ago to maintain the theme.

And we had a flight of a Fliskits Goddard Nell (model of the world's first liquid fuel rocket) which put up a fairly scale-like flight but recovered safely anyway .
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Master Modeler

I made a Flickr set of photos of yesterday's models and launches. Big deal for me was the flight of my recently painted 1/70th Saturn 1b.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefa...157709774343307

The launch was in Parkdale. There were perhaps two dozen people there, flyers and spectators.

In addition to sport flying (everything from a Birdie to a Star Orbiter), there were four or so Saturn V launches; there was another Saturn 1b flight as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  completish_inside.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  1.39 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  saturn_1b_pad_fingers_crossed.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  1.90 MB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 07-21-2019, 02:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I made a Flickr set of photos of yesterday's models and launches. Big deal for me was the flight of my recently painted 1/70th Saturn 1b.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefa...157709774343307

The launch was in Parkdale. There were perhaps two dozen people there, flyers and spectators.

In addition to sport flying (everything from a Birdie to a Star Orbiter), there were four or so Saturn V launches; there was another Saturn 1b flight as well.

Nice flights...that Saturn 1b scoots pretty good. I assume that was a four C6 cluster? A very audible 'sigh of relief' on the video clip! I assume that was you?

Good flights and thanks for sharing! I did not get a chance to fly anything, so it was good to see other's flights at least.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970