Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Some kits should ALWAYS be available.
Two of the first kits Carl offered were the SLS Jaguar and SLS Scorpion.

You’ve obviously never run a company. Unless you have such a successful business that can afford the luxury of keeping poor selling products for nostalgia’s sake, you only keep profitable products in your lineup.

I bemoan the passing of the SLS kits, too. I have one, the SLS Brighton. An incredibly nice kit with a gazillion parts. It’s not hard to imagine that kit costing a fortune to offer.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I have had at least a dozen business analysis tell me outright I need to at least double my prices. Assuming I start outsourcing to China, otherwise triple.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenshot 2019-08-23 18.17.30.png
Views: 93
Size:  243.1 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 08-23-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:48 AM
Craftsman

Default Semroc Kits

We did multiple runs of kits when we first released them but made only a few after a year or two of the ones that didn't sell very well. I asked Carl why we didn't just discontinue them so we could make room for the new ones, his answer was "but someone might want it and it will be ready". We were really running out of space toward the end as many of you know our business was really "in house".
Old 08-25-2019, 11:44 AM
Sometimes collector

Sheryl, thanks for doing that, it was fun to watch the list grow. I have been trying to track down what the original four Semroc Kits released at NARAM 45 in Indiana in 2003 were. In addition I would like to know what the next three after that were. Carl posted December 7, 2003 that the Squire was just released as the 8th Semroc Kit (an original Semroc design), in that same thread Gordy says he picked up a Laser-X so that was one of the first 7. Does anyone have solid evidence for the first four and
Next three?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:05 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The first I ever heard about the Semroc rebirth in the early 2000's were from the SLS Scorpion and Jaguar on ebay. Unfortunately I don't know if they were in the 1st 7 offered.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Sometimes collector

Restoring part of the lost posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ranger
Hi 5x7, if you are referring to this thread, "Semroc Kits" , started by Initiator001, I see that the last post that survived was #15 by ghrocketman, along with Sheryl's first post in #13. I am not sure if the next post, #16, was Sheryl's second post in reply to the thread. She said that she did not attend the 2003 Naram with Carl & Bruce and was not totally sure what the first 4 kits were but named some, & mentioned how they used their savings to re-start Semroc. I cant remember if you also replied to that post by Sheryl.

I am set up to get email notifications of replies to threads that I have posted to, and so I have copies of the posts that came after my first post shown below.
Maybe someone else has email notifications of the posts after #15 to confirm ???
This would all be easier if we had an Omega 13 device.....

Hi Sheryl, and 5x7,

The best info from my records are that Semroc's releases for aught-three and aught-four were the following, but would appreciate any corrections needed :

2003: Laser-X, Lil' Hercules, Micron, Rawhide, Rocket Rack, Sky Hook, Squire, Swift, Triton.

2004: Astro-1, Astrobee 350, Astro-Jr, Firefly, Goliath, Hydra VII, Javelin, Lil' Ivan, Lune R-1, Mark II, Recruiter, SLS Jaguar, SLS Javelin, SLS Scorpion, SLS Sky Hook, ThunderBee.

Craig
SAM #0010

Craig, you're right. I forgot about the Micron being in the first four. Sky Hook, Lil' Hercules, Squire, Rocket Rack, and Laser-X came next. The SLS Laser-X was produced after a Semroc fan suggested to Bruce that we should up-scale it.

I checked the electronic copy of the Semroc Arcon-Hi pdf instructions and Carl's date inside the document shows March 11, 2008, with no revision dates. So your 2008 date on that kit appears to be correct.

Unfortunately, I never downloaded the Arcon instructions, so I can't check the date on it. Maybe someone else has an electronic copy of it or a hardcopy from an actual kit they bought.

Earl

From BARgeezer
You can download the Semroc Arcon instructions, as well as a bunch of other models at the old Semroc website: http://www.semroc.com/Documents/pdf/Arcon.pdf

Great thing about Carl's instructions is the parts list included with every set.
Cheers.

Here is what I would post next if the thread is recreated:

Thanks Earl for the tip!!! & BARgeezer for the link!!!
Per the Arcon instructions, it shows May 2, 2004, so the Arcon kit was released in 2004 & should be added to the 2004 releases I listed in my post above.

Last edited by 5x7 : 09-02-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 AM
Sometimes collector

I am compiling a list of dates listed on instructions for Semroc kits. I can't find these

Astron
Booster-8
Booster-16
My Boid
Swift-BG

Xkits:
SST Shuttle 1 (not the cc kit version)
Nighthawk
(Not confirmed released as an xkit)-Trident xkit only

Don't bother searching online, but please check the instructions if they are from the Carl era, and will have a North Carolina address on them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 5x7 : 09-02-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I am compiling a list of dates listed on instructions for Semroc kits. I can't find these

Astron
Booster-8
Booster-16
My Boid
Swift-BG

Xkits:
SST Shuttle 1 (not the cc kit version)
Nighthawk
(Not confirmed released as an xkit)-Trident xkit only

Don't bother searching online, but please check the instructions if you have them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have the SST Shuttle and Astron instructions. What exactly are you looking for on them?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Sometimes collector

By the way, I got the version of the SST Shuttle that says cckit near the top, I’m looking for a version that says Xkit. Almost all of the instructions have a full date when they were completed, just before release, it’s often after all the ‘about’ text, although on a few of the non standard instruction sets I had to hunt for it. See the screenshot attached, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CCA81B33-C4B8-421D-83C5-C44D2F1D86D3.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  476.0 KB  

Last edited by 5x7 : 09-02-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
By the way, I got the version of the SST Shuttle that says cckit near the top, I’m looking for a version that says Xkit. Almost all of the instructions have a full date when they were completed, just before release, it’s often after all the ‘about’ text, although on a few of the non standard instruction sets I had to hunt for it. See the screenshot attached, thanks!

Nothing at all on the Astron. I'll go digging for the SST Shuttle.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper