Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 04:16 AM
Craftsman

Estes made a trademark claim on a bunch of the names so Carl discontinued a bunch but did eventually put a bunch back up for sale he had taken down..[/QUOTE]

The Estes letter was a very scary time for us since we had put all our savings into restarting SEMROC (South East Model Rocket Company). Estes had so many calls from you SEMROC fans that they backed down and allowed us to continue. Carl and Estes (John Boren) had a good working relationship in the latter years. If we planned to release a kit, Carl would talk to John to make sure they weren't planning the same kit. If they were, we wouldn't release the kit. John did the same for us.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:06 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I’m a bit envious of your xkits, below is a Semroc Spaceman Xkit package, just plane Jane, nice parts but no text at all inside the paper, just the laser cut fins.

Yea, I think the Mark xKit was also like that, having a plain typed face card with only text & no graphics. Cant rememeber if there were any other xKits that did not have a face card with graphics - maybe the X-Ray xKit and/or the Constellation xKit??? Will have to check. I think all of the other xKits had a graphic/color face card & abbreviated folder or may have missed it.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Sometimes collector

I’m very curious.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Sometimes collector

Beautiful kit, that looks great, thank you.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl@Semroc

The Estes letter was a very scary time for us since we had put all our savings into restarting SEMROC (South East Model Rocket Company). Estes had so many calls from you SEMROC fans that they backed down and allowed us to continue. Carl and Estes (John Boren) had a good working relationship in the latter years. If we planned to release a kit, Carl would talk to John to make sure they weren't planning the same kit. If they were, we wouldn't release the kit. John did the same for us.

I felt so bad for you and your family during that time, and was so happy when it was resolved.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Astron ( Wallyum checked but maybe there’s a different version out there?)
Booster-8
Booster-16
My Boid

Xkits:
Nighthawk
(I now think the trident was as an xkit)-Trident xkit only

The Nighthawk xKit has a date of September 12, 2008 on the inside of the face card. I've built one, and have 2 more in the bag. Just flew it yesterday, it glides quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_7242.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  322.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NightHawk01-vga.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  47.1 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
The Nighthawk xKit has a date of September 12, 2008 on the inside of the face card. I've built one, and have 2 more in the bag. Just flew it yesterday, it glides quite well.

Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Hi 5x7, After digging some more I found I also had a plain wrap Spaceman just like yours and was sure I remembered purchasing a plain wrap Mark xKit also, but cant find it. I did find I have a Mark xKit with the color graphical face card, not the plain wrap, so maybe my memory is wrong and the Spaceman was the only one like that, but I will keep digging:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_E1991.JPG
Views: 31
Size:  1.51 MB  
Old 09-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

5x7, more kit dates too: I found my booster kits, and the instructions dates for the two you were looking for and one more not mentioned, not sure if you have it:

Booster-16: December 4, 2008
#8 Booster: June 25, 2010
Booster-18: February 7, 2013

Craig

Sam #0010
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_E1983.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  1.79 MB  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:37 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ranger
Hi 5x7, After digging some more I found I also had a plain wrap Spaceman just like yours and was sure I remembered purchasing a plain wrap Mark xKit also, but cant find it. I did find I have a Mark xKit with the color graphical face card, not the plain wrap, so maybe my memory is wrong and the Spaceman was the only one like that, but I will keep digging:

Your memory is not wrong. We did do a plain Mark xKit. The xKits were produced because some kept asking for these kits but Carl didn't have time for the instructions plus he wanted to see how well they were received. If they were popular, he would take the time to write the instructions and we made it into a regular kit.