Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-08-2024, 11:05 AM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,098
Default

Beautiful, beautiful job for such a classic Centuri design! Yes, looking forward to a flight report. And pics!!!

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-08-2024, 02:59 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I should have simmed out this project from the start. I didn't realize how "mushy" the F15-0 was. It might have worked out that a 24mm D12-0 or E12-0 to D12 or E12 sustainer might have worked out better.

But I did a rough first pass, and things look good. 2200' altitude, 2 calibers stability.

I'd fly this under PERFECT condiditons, from a nice long rod.


I wish Estes would introduce high-thrust versions of the 29mm E and F. I have hesitated starting a two-stage build due to that "mushiness"

I am tempted to do a build and add several 24mm pods to the booster to make it a cluster. I think I would use C11-3 or D12-3 in the pods so chutes could be included for a softer landing of the booster stage.
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B
In the Paint Shop: Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-08-2024, 03:25 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 11,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I wish Estes would introduce high-thrust versions of the 29mm E and F. I have hesitated starting a two-stage build due to that "mushiness"

I am tempted to do a build and add several 24mm pods to the booster to make it a cluster. I think I would use C11-3 or D12-3 in the pods so chutes could be included for a softer landing of the booster stage.

A triple C5-0 cluster would be really sweet off the pad if you like a good hard kick, and they will fit in a BT-60. The C5 peaks at 21N in about a half a second, so that would be a 63N peak, then about 1.5 sec of 9N thrust before staging. Of course, you'd have to dig out the delay train and ejection charges, but they are easy to get to on such a fully stuffed motor. Oh, and it would be a baby E at 23.3 N-s
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-08-2024, 05:39 PM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
A triple C5-0 cluster would be really sweet off the pad if you like a good hard kick, and they will fit in a BT-60. The C5 peaks at 21N in about a half a second, so that would be a 63N peak, then about 1.5 sec of 9N thrust before staging. Of course, you'd have to dig out the delay train and ejection charges, but they are easy to get to on such a fully stuffed motor. Oh, and it would be a baby E at 23.3 N-s


Ohhhhh ? I like.

I have never dug out a motor to convert it to a booster motor. Must try this!
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B
In the Paint Shop: Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-10-2024, 12:28 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 11,685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Ohhhhh ? I like.

I have never dug out a motor to convert it to a booster motor. Must try this!

Take your time and it will be easy, especially since the C5 is full to the top and it has a short delay. Digging down on an 1/2A6 motor is such a pain that I usually cut the case off right at the clay cap, then glue the case back together once the delay is removed. It is best to do it in the summer when the humidity is up, but if you feel real froggy, do it in the winter in a swivel chair on a carpeted floor, with a long haired cat rubbing between your legs. I've done dozens of 1/4A3 and 1/2A3 13mm's and 1/2A6's and A8's (for a while they didn't sell A8-0's).
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-10-2024, 12:47 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Nunya Bizznuss, Michigan
Posts: 13,748
Default

Looks great.
I'm looking forward to the flight report also.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, AGITATION, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, AGGRAVATION, INSTIGATION, NUISANCE-ACTION, and HAVOC !
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe © 1998-2024