Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2020, 07:50 PM
A Rocketeer

Default Look what I got. And it survived USPS shipping.

I find lately that when I receive packages from UPS, USPS, or Fedex, that I have a more than 50/50 chance of the package being crushed. And if crushed, then a 50/50 chance of something inside being damaged. So when I received this package today and saw the top part of the box crushed in, I thought that surely I would find the top of the body tube damaged. But all was well inside. This is a Black Brant II kit that I had ordered from Cosmodrome Rocketry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  bb-box.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  571.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  cosmodrome black brant ii.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  214.0 KB  
Old 10-06-2020, 07:50 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Back in the late 80's, a cousin of mine worked for UPS in a warehouse during the Summers while in college. He told me they used to DELIBERATELY "lay the boots" to random packages labeled "Fragile" for entertainment. One of the guys used to BOOT the boxes with the force of an NFL Place Kicker. No wonder boxes come mangled with Jokers like that.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-08-2020, 05:10 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
I find lately that when I receive packages from UPS, USPS, or Fedex, that I have a more than 50/50 chance of the package being crushed. And if crushed, then a 50/50 chance of something inside being damaged. So when I received this package today and saw the top part of the box crushed in, I thought that surely I would find the top of the body tube damaged. But all was well inside. This is a Black Brant II kit that I had ordered from Cosmodrome Rocketry.
You never know what you are going to get with the carriers these days. USPS and FedEx have been much better for me than UPS in my area. UPS here just about mangles everything
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 10-17-2020, 11:23 AM
Craftsman

In my area, anything sent UPS or Fed-EX you can expect to be handled roughly.
USPS has always came through in great shape.
Except for today. I had 4 kits come in a box that looks like it was kicked hard on the end.
Luckily, nothing was damaged beyond use. These are all OOP kits off Ebay, not like a phone call would replace them!
My Father worked for USPS for 35 years. He took pride in making sure things were delivered on time, and handled with care.
With the way a certain Leader is handling the USPS and their working people, it's no wonder handling is not a pride factor as it once was.
When your stripped of overtime and made to work, would you still care as much?
Hopefully things will get better and this COVID thing ends sooner than later.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:31 PM
7/21/61

USPS is incredibly reliable. I sell on ebay and almost never have anything go astray or get complaints about damage. USPS is just an absolute gem in keeping our country humming along.

FedEx OK.

And UPS is just terrible. I just cringe any time I'm informed a package is coming UPS. A couple of weeks ago UPS delivered a package that was supposed to come to me to an address, similar street name, in a different city. I mean, WTF??? I only knew about it because I got the "Your package was delivered, left at front door" when I was home. So I went to the front door and nothing there. I called and it took them a couple of hours to figure out where it really went. I eventually got it, but the wrong city???
Old 10-17-2020, 01:24 PM
Master Modeler

Just for my information, how did you order that kit from Cosmodrome? Did you go through the website or email? Their site hasn’t been updated (seemingly ever).
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
USPS is incredibly reliable. I sell on ebay and almost never have anything go astray or get complaints about damage. USPS is just an absolute gem in keeping our country humming along.

FedEx OK.

And UPS is just terrible. I just cringe any time I'm informed a package is coming UPS. A couple of weeks ago UPS delivered a package that was supposed to come to me to an address, similar street name, in a different city. I mean, WTF??? I only knew about it because I got the "Your package was delivered, left at front door" when I was home. So I went to the front door and nothing there. I called and it took them a couple of hours to figure out where it really went. I eventually got it, but the wrong city???

Steve-

I have to agree with you on the USPS comments, regardless of my more recent comments here about how things have bounced from PO location to PO location before making it to my city, especially the PO depot locations in the Atlanta area. In recent months it's just been down right crazy. BUT, that has been an exception.

In my years of running Point 39 Productions (about 14 years), I shipped thousands and thousands of videotapes to every state in this country, all the Canadian provinces, and about 15-16 foreign countries around the world. In all that time, I think I had maybe 2-3 tapes that just 'never showed up' at the customer's address. And one of those said their mail box was at the end of a long dirt road and it was not uncommon for things to get stolen from it. Additionally, there were a couple of tapes that just plain got crushed in shipment that I had to replace for the customer.

But, when I started the business I would never have believed that in all those shipments the loss rate would have been so very, very low. Everyone complains about the PO (I do too sometimes), but in reality they really do a great job.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-17-2020, 10:47 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Steve-

I have to agree with you on the USPS comments, regardless of my more recent comments here about how things have bounced from PO location to PO location before making it to my city, especially the PO depot locations in the Atlanta area. In recent months it's just been down right crazy. BUT, that has been an exception.

In my years of running Point 39 Productions (about 14 years), I shipped thousands and thousands of videotapes to every state in this country, all the Canadian provinces, and about 15-16 foreign countries around the world. In all that time, I think I had maybe 2-3 tapes that just 'never showed up' at the customer's address. And one of those said their mail box was at the end of a long dirt road and it was not uncommon for things to get stolen from it. Additionally, there were a couple of tapes that just plain got crushed in shipment that I had to replace for the customer.

But, when I started the business I would never have believed that in all those shipments the loss rate would have been so very, very low. Everyone complains about the PO (I do too sometimes), but in reality they really do a great job.

Earl

I will add my voice in agreement about the USPS. I can never say enough good things about those folks. In 20 plus years of selling, I have had maybe 5 complaints, until the past few months. Recently they have been very slow, poor tracking and, to quote Earl, bouncing from city to city. While many want to blame the new leadership, I think the timing fits the pandemic better. To soon to know for sure, but my guess is it will sort itself out once life starts to get simpler. The only time I use another service is for very large boxes, where FedEx ground is far less expensive.

BTW, full disclosure, I sent the box to Woody that got crunched. He was a gentleman about it. I offered to replace parts as needed, or compensate if replacements are not available but he is ok. Offer stands, Woody.

I hate rules.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:19 PM
A Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Just for my information, how did you order that kit from Cosmodrome? Did you go through the website or email? Their site hasn’t been updated (seemingly ever).
Thanks.

I emailed Mike at Cosmodrome to get a cost with shipping to Colorado.