Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2006, 09:15 AM
BAR Crazy about der GOBLIN

Send a message via AIM to Thor
Default The Brimstone got Blasted-Staging Woes

I had a nice flight with my Brimstone with a D12-0 on the bottom stage and a E9-4 top stage. When I got it back I noticed the rear centering ring on the sustainer suffered some damage from I guess was the staging pressure. The Ring was caved in and it feels like the whole motor tube is loose. It has three rings on the motor/stuffer tube. Also the top 1/2" of the booster's motor tube is blasted into a partially unraveled spiral. All I can guess is the pressure of staging caused the damage. Anyone see this before? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Sounds like one of those "Shotgun" or overly energetic modern Estes ejection charges.
Just amazes me that something that a production line consistently got right in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's cannot be done right in the 21st century. Somehow they must have cheapened a process or two on the motor line resulting in inconsistent charges.
Wonder if Vern ever reads the threads mentioning inconsistent modern Estes motors.
I'm sure he would know the reason.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
I had a nice flight with my Brimstone with a D12-0 on the bottom stage and a E9-4 top stage. When I got it back I noticed the rear centering ring on the sustainer suffered some damage from I guess was the staging pressure. The Ring was caved in and it feels like the whole motor tube is loose. It has three rings on the motor/stuffer tube. Also the top 1/2" of the booster's motor tube is blasted into a partially unraveled spiral. All I can guess is the pressure of staging caused the damage. Anyone see this before? Thanks!

That can happen with the booster flights. I usually coat the inside of the area with epoxy or white glue to help protect the paper from scorching and to strengthen it a bit. It sounds like the upper stage stuffer tube rings are weak, or maybe not glued well, or both. When repairing it, you can make some extra rings to double the thickness. Scuff the inside of the tube with sandpaper to get good glue adhesion, especially now that there's powder residue in it. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 PM
slave to the wind

Is there some inconsistency issues out there? I only have Estes engines at this point in time. The A6 engine that I used today in a SkyWriter seemed to have blown the shock cord mount and the body tube by the engine mount caved in when it landed.

I have had three flights previously, with B and C engines with no problems. Today we used an A from a blast-off pack and the rocket will need a major overhaul.
Bottom half tube is beyond fixing. Feels soft, and almost squishy. When it landed tail first, the tube just collapsed.