Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2020, 03:38 PM
Craftsman

I actually have an indoor paint booth (extra bay in the garage) with a separate heater and exhaust fan, so I can paint almost anytime. I have a new way I am painting my rockets. No more Krylon products, no more sanding sealers. The only issue is that I am using enamels and it takes at least 48 hours for the paints to fully cure.

I miss the old Krylon lacquers (no drips and dried in 10 minutes or less) but the current Krylon products are so inferior it is not worth even considering using them. I usually get all my paints at Walmart or a big box store and I wonder if anyone else has noticed their shelves are well stocked with Krylon products, it seems to me no one else is buying then either. Too bad for Sherwin Williams, I have a lot of respect for the company, always wanted to work for them, and now it seems they let their product quality for consumers slip for one reason or another. I know I can still get the Krylon Industrial Acryli Quik Acrylic Laquers (https://www.krylonindustrial.com/wp...web_spreads.pdf) if I shop around for them, but its not worth my time and effort especially now having to pay for shipping costs.
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Last edited by teflonrocketry1 : 03-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Bruce,

Amazon has single can Acryli-Quik for as low as $7.02, with free shipping (Prime, but usually free if you spend over $35). I did not see if all colors are there, but I saw many. Unfortunately, some single cans are a lot pricier than $7.02 per can. I may just get black and white, which could be great for a lot of rockets.

I have a few cans of the acrylic lacquer originals (Interior-Exterior formula) from 20 years ago, and they still spray. I’ve saved them for touch-up on really old models. I loved that paint, and cursed the replacement (called Indoor-Outdoor, as I recall).

Until recently, I could only find the Acryli-Quik by the case. Makes it just a bit pricey to get all the basic colors!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
In the southeast here we've had enough rain the past four months to float many, many battle ships!

The other day our closest tv station said that we have had rain seven Mondays in a row. I know that several Sundays before that had rain too, so we've had rain pretty much every week most of the winter. I don't think I've ever seen as wet a winter, and it was backed by a very wet summer compared to normal.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Banned

That nose cone looks like an upscale of the BNC-50BC from the TEROS.

http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est1285.pdf

Dave F.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Craftsman

I found a file you can download for free of this nose cone.

https://pinshape.com/items/49233-3d...-fighter-rocket

Also, here.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3350302