Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Master Modeler

Default Quest EZ Payloader

I was at my local hobby shop tonight picking up some B6-2's and C6-0's, and I saw this kit. I figured "What the heck", as I presently do not have any payload models.

I put it together in a couple of hours, working part time while watching TV shows with my wife. There is definitely something to be said for putting together one of these pre-painted kits. The instant satisfaction of having a completed rocket so quickly does good to boost morale.

The kit went together fairly easily, but there were a couple of parts of the build that could have been better.

The fins have to key into the motor mount, then slide into position. One of the fin slots was so tight I had to do significant sanding of the plastic to get it to go together. The other fins were perfect.

Next, in the instructions, they show diagrams where you glue the payload section tube to the adapter on one end and the nose cone on the other. Then, as if it was almost an afterthought, they say to NOT glue on the nose cone if you want to use the payload section of the rocket. Duh!

Also, if you did what they suggest, there would be absolutely no room in the payload tube for a payload. Both the top of the adapter and the bottom of the nose cone nearly touched in the payload tube. I carefully cut off the larger end of the adapter before gluing it to the tube, and I also cut off the base of the nose cone. Now, the payload section goes from the tip of the nose cone to the bottom of the adapter, a respectable total of 8"' in length.

The peel and stick decals were a breeze to apply.

The kit was a little pricey at $15.99, but I had never before built a Quest rocket and I figured tonight was as good a night as any to get one under my belt.

Tomorrow I'll get back to painting the other three rockets on my desk in their finishing phase.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Craftsman

Quest has some fairly neat rockets. You can look at their line up here
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Hello. I "inherited" a Quest EZ Payloader from my grandson. He left it here with no chutes. Can you tell me how many chutes this rocket should have?
Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMAN
Hello. I "inherited" a Quest EZ Payloader from my grandson. He left it here with no chutes. Can you tell me how many chutes this rocket should have?
Thanks.

I believe it comes with two 12" chutes.

If you don't have a heavy payload, a single 12" chute is plenty for a kit that size.