Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Default SSRS / Crown LASOR series

( note move of thread to this new thread, from the ' what's in your build queue ?'.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=975 ).

below is scan of the fin patterns as used on my LASOR 95, 134 and 164 rockets.

note that the '134' pattern was traced from my brother's vintage kti he bought from AAA Model Aviation, circa early to mid 80's ( he actually had a couple, I could dig through the old invoices if it was that important, to show dates, lol).

noting the pattern (dark colored one) as provided by Steve (Snaquin) is significantly different geometry.
Steve also comments the '114' and '134' used the same fin, which I think sounds plausible due to similar size.
I can't swear 100% to my bro's fins authenticity, whether he modified them, or the ones AAA included were not the same ( possibly made up from leftover parts ?), and asking my bro = he doesn't recall, thought they were included from AAA.

my '95' and '164' ( Crown never produced a 164 to my knowledge.) are 'clones' based on the design, and fin patterns are as scanned, but not exact scale-up or down of either the 134 shown, or Steves 114/134 pattern.

I have one last Crown 1.64 cone and tube, so likely going to build another 164 ,but using a scaled up 'correct' pattern, I like that design over the Spartan anyways ( although if anyone has Spartan fin patterns .

it's been interesting and fun working with these, a lot harder to document,etc as not many were produced, when compared to Estes,Centuri, or even FSI,etc.

~ AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  lasor fins.JPG
Views: 128
Size:  64.7 KB  
Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
( note move of thread to this new thread, from the ' what's in your build queue ?'.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=975 ).

below is scan of the fin patterns as used on my LASOR 95, 134 and 164 rockets.

note that the '134' pattern was traced from my brother's vintage kti he bought from AAA Model Aviation, circa early to mid 80's ( he actually had a couple, I could dig through the old invoices if it was that important, to show dates, lol).

noting the pattern (dark colored one) as provided by Steve (Snaquin) is significantly different geometry.
Steve also comments the '114' and '134' used the same fin, which I think sounds plausible due to similar size.
I can't swear 100% to my bro's fins authenticity, whether he modified them, or the ones AAA included were not the same ( possibly made up from leftover parts ?), and asking my bro = he doesn't recall, thought they were included from AAA.

my '95' and '164' ( Crown never produced a 164 to my knowledge.) are 'clones' based on the design, and fin patterns are as scanned, but not exact scale-up or down of either the 134 shown, or Steves 114/134 pattern.

I have one last Crown 1.64 cone and tube, so likely going to build another 164 ,but using a scaled up 'correct' pattern, I like that design over the Spartan anyways ( although if anyone has Spartan fin patterns .

it's been interesting and fun working with these, a lot harder to document,etc as not many were produced, when compared to Estes,Centuri, or even FSI,etc.

~ AL

AL

I'm not sure if the fins included with the AAA kits were the same as what Mark with Crown was shipping in the early 80's because I purchased all of mine from Crown. I can tell you that I made my order with Crown in 1982 shortly after receiving my catalog with prices dated 7/1/82 and flew my first Lasor rockets that year. I purchased both the 114 and 134 kits with my first order and after sorting through the parts realized how easy those would be to build from parts. Next order I placed with Crown was for a bunch of parts, nose cones tubes ect to build my own.

I have an original fin with 114/134 written on it and remember I was somewhat surprised that both used the exact same fin and wondered if he intended to do that or just packed what he had on hand at the time of my order. Several of each kit, all the same. Never owned the 95 though because I was mostly using the F67 and needed the 29mm mounts

Do you have the Jan 1987 issue of American Spacemodeling? There is an article in that issue that is titled Valsun Members Conduct High-Power Launch. There are images of a Lasor-114 and a very clear image of a fin that got stuck in the payload section of the 114 after separation from the rocket. The launch was Nov 1984 and G. Harry Stine and others were testing G25, G65, G70, G125 and F44 motors. The fin pattern of this Lasor 114 is a dead ringer for the ones Mark was shipping in 1982. If you don't have a copy of this issue let me know. Another forum member scanned this one page for me because he knew of my interest in the Lasor rockets and I'll ask his permission to email it to you if you want to see it
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Yep, went and found that issue ( one of the few things that's organized is my magazine / catalog collection, lol

looks the same. although I have no idea how they got those back on G25's and G70's... my bro lost a 134 at LDRS6 and that site is huge, just impossible to see , so no idea where it went :-)
( side note- the G70 is one of my all-time fave motors, and one of the first commercially available bates grain , flat trace motors ).

I got my pattern from my brothers, thet HE rebuilt from his original , it seems, so maybe the fin got tweaked by him along the way, although I have pics of his, circa 1984 that look like the fin I have.
I'm going to guess his got sent with wrong fins, although not sure the origin if they got switched.
every one I've seen otherwise has fins more like yours, so that's what I'll use for future reference.

I'm going to build a 'Lasor 164' using upscale of your fin pattern, I have one piece of CRT tubing and original cone, but it turns out - assuming the catalog specs are correct - the 1.64" od is same as a Semroc ST16, and the 1.6" id of Semroc is halfway tot he 1.56" CRTspecs, so I;m going to get two lengths of Semroc tubing and double wall one inside the other to see if the id comes out good enough to make the payload section from, then I'll be building :-)

thanks again for any help, comments,etc.. will keep digging and post if I turn up any early hpr stuff of interest

~ AL

ps: anyone have any of the old High Power Research mags for sale ( or scan ?), I missed out on a batch last summer on ebay that would have filled 95% of my run, I forgot the night it ended, and missed the end :-( , I only ever saw a couple issues ever offered other than those, * sob sob * ....