Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Thumbs up COVID-19 Quarantine Projects?

Comrades:

Is everybody home?

I usually finish my "Work-From-Home" in a few hours and have a BUNCH of rocket projects moving along at the same time. I'll try an post some pictures later (because, like the kids say, Pics or It Didn't Happen).

1) scratch Paiute booster - finally figured out how I wanted to do it
2) Rescue Alpha - from a recent rescue batch
3) Rescue Interceptor - finally got tanks from two different sources
4) scratch Tomahawk - adding bolt detail
5) WRESAT from the Boyce parts

What are you guys working on?

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 04-09-2020, 06:04 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

I am sorry to say my projects are completely non-rocketry related.

But, they are fun and challenging.

My sister -n law picked up some RC boats at an estate sale thinking her husband and the grand kid would enjoy building them.

Well, they are not Legos and are a bit more complicated than that!

The first one is a sailboat I converted to R/C. Yes, I am a sailor.
That one is almost finished.
Picture attached. The life preserver covers the on/off switch for the R/C

I started working on the other two and they are power boats.

One is a coastal fishing boat .89 meter long.

The other is a modern tug boat. BIG!!! 1.1m long.

I have an 05 electric motor (about 35 years old) for the fishing boat but the tug boat will need two 05 mtors.

Gawd, I have a lot of old stuff. I won't have to buy much of anything for these.

I have a large stock of hobby "stuff".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  sailboat.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  life ring.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  39.0 KB  

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-09-2020, 07:03 PM
Apollo Nut

I have just finished construction on a Centuri Aerobee 350, Estes Nike Apache, and a Semroc Snake Jumper. Done some balsa filling on some of those three but they need more, and all three need a primer coat. Also have a Centuri Akela in primer already with the first coat of red on the nose cone.

And currently under construction is an Estes Honest John #7240 that I plan to finish in olive drab with the Tango Papa ‘operational’ round white decals (those arrived about two weeks ago from Tom).

It has already gotten fairly warm here in Georgia, so some of my good painting weather has already passed me by.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Master Modeler

In Finishing - Estes Conquest (Excellent kit by the way)
Building - Estes Mercury Redstone (The newest one)
Just starting - Estes Orange Bullet

Started the garden, lots of outside yard work, launching in adjacent corn field (until they plant, the park field is closed), running 5k every other day and home schooling the grand kids.

Not bored.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:55 PM
The Alpha Kid

Estes Phoenix Bird - painted, awaiting decals.
Rescue Big Bertha - painting in progress.
Nike X, clustered Red Max - under construction.
Aero Dart - in primer
Old 04-09-2020, 08:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I am sorry to say my projects are completely non-rocketry related.

But, they are fun and challenging.

Same here, except the projects themselves aren't the fun part. I have enjoyed doing a lot of it with my new buddy. I've had my son's Belgian Malinois since October. He's now a full fledged farm dog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  20200408_102037.resized.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  548.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20191127_150503.resized.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  253.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  20191127_103445.resized.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  597.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0902c.resized.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  574.6 KB  
Old 04-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Master Modeler

I have started building an old ESTES TOMCAT swing-wing glider. Probably will turn out to be a lawn dart but thought I would give it a try.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:59 PM
BP Mafia

Last night I decided to build something using scrap tubes. I picked two "close enough" pieces of tubing and built the last of the original Goonys that I needed to build, the Missile Toe. (I have an upscale, but not a 1:1.) The superstructure was finished last night, and I made internals today. Once everything is dry I'll prime it and possibly fly it tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Other than that I've painted my treasured Pitsco Synergy, (it flew and earned it,) refurbished my Centuri Vulcan somewhat for another flight attempt, and am currently attempting to finish the MRN Orbital Transport Laboratory.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Default My 10 COVID-19 Builds/Repairs

I put all my projects on my rocket room table. Good grief, I have 10 projects in various stages of completion. I seldom have more than one. It got so crazy I resorted to using a spiral notebook with a couple pages per build. I was losing track of how many sealer coats were on fins, which primer I was using, and which paint, so I didn’t grab the wrong color. (I use mostly Rustoleum and Tamiya paints, but I also have multiple shades of colors, and sheens in flat, semi-gloss, and gloss — its crazy.)

Here is a listing of projects in that picture, from left to right.

1. Big Daddy
My first one. Its got a thin ply bulkhead on the nose cone shoulder, and an extended heavy wall 24mm motor tube that goes right up to the nose cone. Built specifically for my 24/60 RMS and F reloads.

2. Estes Phoenix.
I haven’t had one since the early 90s. Thru-wall fin tabs for the lower fins this time. I was always snapping one off. And lower fins are basswood. My original was beefed up with basswood spokes on the cardstock centering rings, and I flew it exclusively on my 24/40 RMS. Same on this one, but it has a Rocketarium aluminum retainer, designed to hold the 24/40 RMS — exceptionally well made.

3. Estes V-2 (repair)
I cracked a fin on it last year. It got a new nose, I cut off the tip, and added a turned dowel to make it pointy. I am also adding chain drive covers to the fins. Not sure on paint yet.

4. Enerjet 1340 clone
This is a build I’ve wanted to complete since I got the Eliminator kit from Bill Eichelberger when we met at eRockets Build Night prior to NSL-2018 in Geneseo. The white tube is not pushed all the way into the fin unit — I just painted the fin unit the other day and I want it to completely dry (you can see the purple color of this tube just above the fin unit). This will be 24mm, I cannot imagine flying this model on a 29mm engine! Still need to print an Enerjet decal.

5. Super Sky Hook
I never had a Sky Hook as a kid. I built a Semroc Sky Hook a few years ago. When I bought an Estes Panavia, it was screaming to get kit-bashed. I cut new fins from basswood, and cut down one of the tubes to get the overall length correct. I just sealed the fins, so it is now ready for primer.

6. Semroc Spaceman
I never had one of these either. I was a t Apogee one day, and there it sat, in the lobby display. They have every kit they sell on display. A really cool way to see kits, and of course, immediately add them to your shopping basket. It just needs decals, then a clear coat. (I just tried Future Floor Polish over clear, works great, no “graying” of the paint like most spray clears.)

7. Enerjet 2250 downscale
I call it a “1640”, since its BT-60, compared to the 2.25” tube of the original. Its got three 18mm tubes for engines. I goofed on the paint. I have the black and orange reversed. Oh well, it still looks good.

8. Booster-55 rocket (olive drab)
I bought maybe a dozen Booster-55s from Hobby Lobby when they clearanced them. Makes an easy build with the addition of a body tube and nose cone. This one looked funny with a long pointy nose cone, so I stripped paint off an old nose cone from an Estes Ranger (not the old cluster Bertha-like rocket, but a later kit sharing the same name). Also getting a short payload tube.

9. Orbital Transport
Its getting a facelift. It turned a brownish color from clear coat gone bad. I built this 20 years ago, it’s a great flyer, and the orbiter glides beautifully. It will get standard red decals, it is wearing green ones now.

10. Viper III (big 2.6” 3x29mm cluster)
It may get a different name, but this was inspired by the LOC Viper III. It was actually started almost 2 years ago. I’ve been doing lots of filling to blend the three tubes into the main tube. I’m a little sorry I didn’t cut Enerjet 2650 style fins, but I do like the big triangular ones. And I think its much more sleek looking than the LOC kit. It will fly on Estes F15 engines. It needs an awesome paint job, I’m still contemplating colors.

That’s All!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  A1EA0248-52AE-4895-939A-353C20C7D9CC.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  353.0 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 PM
Master Modeler

About to start sealer on the fins of a Silver Comet.
Am in the process of repairing a Twin Factor that was mangled by an A10 CATO this past Tuesday on its maiden flight.
Just finished (and flew twice on Tuesday) an Alpha VI but using the Estes 18mm screw-on motor retainer. No more torn-by-the-top-of-the-motor-hook motor tubes.
Repairing my second Checkmate (which also took an A10-0T CATO on Tuesday on its second flight, mangling the booster stage some).
Trying to decide whether to open the Orange Bullet or Sidewinder bag next....

added: I expect someone will ask so I'll just put it in. The A10-0Ts that CATO'd on me this past Tuesday have the date code H180219. The ones that don't CATO are really weak. I have 19 more of them.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE