Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2011, 03:09 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Default New Maxi Alpha 3

I just picked up a new Maxi Alpha 3, and I'm here to report that it is almost exactly the same as the original Maxi Alpha 3 from 1979 (though the nose cone is white instead of red) and the re-release from 2000 (which differed with stick-on decals).

The only differences from the 2000 version that are significant are the E-sized motor hook, and 1/4" launch lugs.

Last edited by Royatl : 03-19-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: added detail about stick-on decals.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 AM
I wish I was a spaceman!

At Narcon I asked John (of Estes)if they featured the same easy to break plastic fins - I think he was a little miffed at my question

But they are the same plastic fins that attach to 2 rings in the body

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

Does it have the stick on vs. water slide decals?

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
At Narcon I asked John (of Estes)if they featured the same easy to break plastic fins - I think he was a little miffed at my question

But they are the same plastic fins that attach to 2 rings in the body

exactly the same. no change at all. (I was hoping, as you said, for thicker fins, or fins that were closer to t he normal Alpha planform)
Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
Does it have the stick on vs. water slide decals?

Stick-on, like the 2000 version. The original, indeed, had waterslide (which was a b***h to deal with out in the field when you were building one an hour for a demo flight!)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Rides the short bus to work.

Send a message via AIM to evo666 Send a message via MSN to evo666

I noticed in the 2011 Estes catalog that they are coming out with a starter set for this. Now I am wondering if they are including an E launch set or the regular?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo666
I noticed in the 2011 Estes catalog that they are coming out with a starter set for this. Now I am wondering if they are including an E launch set or the regular?

With a 1/4" lug set, and the E motor capability, that almost certainly would be the E pad and controller.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I have flown a LOT of Maxi-Alpha 3's in demos. There are two very easy ways to overcome the breakage problem which also conserves your assembly labor for the next demo.

1. Put a wood 1/4" wood dowel next to the motor mount tube extended out the back and 6" below the fin sweep. The rocket lands on this and reduces or eliminates landing damage. I suggested this for the Maxi-Mars Lander when I went to NARCON San Diego before it was flown and severely damaged on landing. It was displayed there before its maiden flight. I also offered the current owner free motors for a reflight.

2. Put three parachutes on it. By installing three chutes and folding them all together as a single system, deployment is just as reliable and the landing speed is much lower and three chutes tend to drift less due to lift interference and odd side drag.

Repairing them is indeed a problem so a quarter ounce of (wooden) prevention is worth an ounce of cure (-ed epoxy).

Tech Jerry
Old 03-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Craftsman

That was the issue I had with my Estes Collosus which is similar to the Maxi alpha. I used a D12-5 I believe, yet almost every time it flew upon apogee when the chute would pop, it would break the dot stickers that hold the shroud lines and come tumbling down... It survived the landings with no damage as it tumbled down horizontally, no fin damage. it only went up maybe 200-300ft if that. I had to use two 24" chutes and a longer shock cord to overcome it...
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Master Modeler

I am flying a Maxi Alpha 3 from the most recent reissue (the 2000 version) and have actually reduced the 'chute to an 18 incher. I have only once cracked a fin joint. What I did differently is during the build, bond the fins to the body tube sections with Wilhold RC-56 - which makes a strong yet flexible plastic to paper joint. I would expect that the the Pacer or Zinger-branded replacements for RC-56 (look for "canopy glue" in RC-oriented shops/sites) would work as well.

I also put in a Semroc BT-80 baffle system so that I don't have to use huge amounts of wadding - just one square in the upward facing tube in the baffle.

I agree it makes a wonderful demo rocket - it can even be flown on a small field on a C11-3. OTOH it really goes nicely to a little over 1000 feet on an Aerotech E20.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE