Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Apollo Nut

Certainly Sheryl and Bruce have no doubt been totally covered up filling orders the past month. I hope though at some point in the near future to maybe get some update from them as to how much longer they will fill orders with leftover stock and then officially close, and also any status on whether there might be some glimmer of hope of potential buyers for the business.

I'm still being hopeful someone will step forward....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Certainly Sheryl and Bruce have no doubt been totally covered up filling orders the past month. I hope though at some point in the near future to maybe get some update from them as to how much longer they will fill orders with leftover stock and then officially close, and also any status on whether there might be some glimmer of hope of potential buyers for the business.

I'm still being hopeful someone will step forward....

Earl
While the "radio silence" on this aspect of the matter can discomfit us (in the absence of *any* news, it's easy to imagine the worst), business sales usually occur in this way, with nothing being stated publicly by any of the parties involved until the sale and transfer are complete. While "No news is [not necessarily] good news" in this case, it does not automatically mean bad news, either. Hopefully, we will soon log in to YORF and find an announcement in the "Vendors" sub-forum...from the new owner of Semroc Astronautics.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
While the "radio silence" on this aspect of the matter can discomfit us (in the absence of *any* news, it's easy to imagine the worst), business sales usually occur in this way, with nothing being stated publicly by any of the parties involved until the sale and transfer are complete. While "No news is [not necessarily] good news" in this case, it does not automatically mean bad news, either. Hopefully, we will soon log in to YORF and find an announcement in the "Vendors" sub-forum...from the new owner of Semroc Astronautics.

Yes, many times there are quite a few things going on in the background that the public never hears about until an 'announcement' suddenly jumps out into public view.

Actually, and somewhat secretly, I have been hoping the silence indicates that 'something' IS going on in the background and we'll all be happily surprised by the news of some 'transfer plan/schedule' in the not-too-distant future.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM
BAR

Yes, that would be good news...

While the McLawhorns are obviously irreplaceable, I WOULD like to see the Semroc brand and products continue on...

Later! OL JR
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Paper Rocketeer

As much as I love their kits, the one aspect of Semroc that I hope is purchased by someone else is the parts manufacture and sales. Many of those tubes, nose cones and other parts (especially Centuri) are not available anywhere else. If the parts are available, I can build it, kit or no kit.

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
As much as I love their kits, the one aspect of Semroc that I hope is purchased by someone else is the parts manufacture and sales. Many of those tubes, nose cones and other parts (especially Centuri) are not available anywhere else. If the parts are available, I can build it, kit or no kit.

That is precisely what I'll miss most. Parts that cannot be found anywhere else, Semroc usually had it.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

I wonder if someone (Totally Tubular, or the folks who picked them up....forget which vendor it is) would be willing to carry a more complete line of Centuri tubing? The tubing is the hardest part to replicate....cones and transition are somewhat easier. But if someone just carried the tubing....especially the Centuri #8 and #10 tubing.

But certainly just tubing would come no where near to filling in the hole left by Semroc's departure. Man, what a loss that I think many of us just still have not come to terms with.

Hopefully, hopefully, as I keep reminding myself *maybe* someone will pick up the Semroc line or parts business at least and carry forward. Even if Sheryl did not want to do the 'kit thing' any longer, maybe just the parts business alone would be not too burdensome for her, but would fill a true need in the hobby.

Still Hoping Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, just looked up Totally Tubular to see just who it was that carried that line now and see (and recall) it was ehobbies. And.....they DO carry the ST-8 and ST-10 tubes! Was not aware they had those sizes. So, at least THOSE Centuri tubes (as well as the ST-7 and ST-20, I think were also listed) would still have a source.

I've got a decent stash of vintage Centuri tubes in just about all sizes to use as replacements in vintage kits that may have damaged tubes. I also bought a pretty decent stock, like a lot of folks, of tubes from Semroc here in the past month or so.

But...it is good to know that some of the Centuri tube sizes will still be around from at least one vendor.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 PM
BAR

Quote:

Quite agree...

I CERTAINLY hope that some enterprising soul in the rocketry biz pics up the Semroc parts line... especially tubes.

Nosecones are a "nice have" but I can turn my own...

Don't really care to have to make my own tubes tho...

Later! OL JR
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Master Modeler

The LT-125, LT-175, and LT-225 plus coupler stock and centering rings could be used to make a wide range of mid-power kits suited for use with the Estes BP E and F motors.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM