Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2022, 02:43 PM
Sometimes collector

Default FOUND-Fin Identification

I have had a set of three fins for over 20 years, they appear to be die cut. The trailing edge is 1 5/16 inch, so pretty small. I have not been able to ID a kit these would go with, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  F157F755-B07F-4CA2-BE71-90EAE6D49558.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  527.2 KB  

Last edited by 5x7 : 03-03-2022 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:55 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I have had a set of three fins for over 20 years, they appear to be die cut. The trailing edge is 1 5/16 inch, so pretty small. I have not been able to ID a kit these would go with, any ideas?

I cannot identify them. I had the same issue last summer, digging thru a box of balsa scraps, and finding a really old set of fins (they were die-cut as well). I slightly modified them for a scratch-build. I suggest you do the same. It will help you realize what rocket they were for, once you glue them onto a body tube.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-02-2022, 05:17 PM
Sometimes collector

That is so true!
Old 03-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Sometimes collector

So posting the info got me thinking and the threads started to weave together. I have been organizing my basement and came across a box with a 90’s Estes Death Star. The kit has big through the wall fins that reminded me of the original issue small X-Wing fins. I took a look at my X-wing, and they are really close, like they reused the dies with some minor mods. I took a pic of my X-wing during the investigation, it is attached. Several days later I knocked over my Maxi X-Wing and had to grab it before it hit the floor. In the process I was reminded one of the finlets is broken off. So all of the seeds were planted. Then two days later when the bag of fins turned up, I decided to take a pic of the and post the question. I was not long after today that ‘X-wing’ popped in my head and I grabbed my phone and pulled up the pic and sure enough, the finlets on mine are missing. I pulled up a pdf of the plans on YORF and the fins sure do look like them. Back when the X-Wing was built, I did not like the finlets and my thinking was to mount them on a removable tube or dowel stuck in the engine, but if these are the fins, they were not kept with the kit or the instructions. So if someone has a built X-wing with the balsa fins, if they can confirm the measurement, the mystery can be solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  4DD1D07D-404E-4A1B-A288-2225B78A746B.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  634.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  07541B4F-76D6-4D8B-8626-0F210A623B18.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  209.1 KB  
Old 03-08-2022, 08:59 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I have a XWing that is bagged, I have not gotten to building yet, but will pull out and scan for you when I get back home from my trip.

In paint:

Ready for 1st flight: Custom Rockets Bullet, Semroc/Centuri Renegade, Semroc Laser X, Estes Beta Launch Vehicle, MPC Flare Patriot, Estes Nimbus, Estes SR-71, Estes Nebulon Warrior, Semroc Ruskie, Estes Nike -X, Estes Mini-Shuttle Clone. Estes Renegade, Estes Big Red Max, Estes Phoenix, Fliskits Shadowlord, Custom Rockets SAM-X, thanks Texas Winds and rain.
Austin TX