Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Totally worth it if you are thinking long and can aford. I remember when Centuri was selling those kits for around $8.00 as a close out special ... like I said, I know of one manufacture who is seriously thinking of re-releasing the kit, and we do have the large scale offering from Estes ... maybe.

When I bought the first year offering of the kit from Romie Lucas, that was $500.00. It features a white box with applied sticker graphics on the side. You also have to widdle down the fin fairings which are wood; the later kits have injection modled plastic for fin fairings. IMHO the plastic fairings are far better and show greater detail. The original centering rings are plywood while the newer kit has those fibre rings. As the Super Scale kits go, the LJII is by far the best. Again, IMHO.

$650 yet high, isn't ridiculous. $2,000.00 for an 80's Mercury Redstone IS ridiculous!

Jonathan

I can agree.

I have always been a proponent of allowing folks to freely spend their own money on legal items as THEY themselves best see fit. If one has the funds (and are not allowing their own kids or family to 'do without'), then they should be allowed -- without critisism -- to spend it. Period.

If I had not had the LJ's that I have, I might have been tempted to get this one. But I've got mine and that is enough. Let someone else allow their dreams to come true. I ALWAYS wanted that kit when I was a kid and could in NO way afford it then. And yes, I recall in early '77 when Centuri closed it out, they sold the remaining stock at the original '68 issue price of $12.95 I think it was. Pause....... Yep, just checked my copy of Vol. 3, No.1 of Centuri's American Rocketeer, which was issued in the spring of '68, and it lists the upcoming Little Joe II for $12.95 with a release date of June 15, 1968.

Interesting comment on the 'balsa' fin fairings. I always thought those were vacu-formed pieces from the get-go. The above mentioned American Rocketeer also mentions the kit would feature plastic fin fairings. Do you have a copy of the instructions from that kit? I'd LOVE to see some photos of the kit box and such. I've only seen the 'full color' box version myself, though I had understood an earlier, more 'plain' version of the box was issued early on.

So, if you want it and got the dough.....go for it. There would be those in many foreign countries who would consider us nuts for spending even $150,000 on a house! Much less the $250K or so that is about 'average' for a new house in this country.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Master Modeler

Anyone know what the highest bid was?

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Anyone know what the highest bid was?

As mentioned a couple of posts back, someone exercised the Buy It Now option at $650.

Would have been interesting to see just how high it would have gone in 'open' bidding, but that's just academics at this point.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
As mentioned a couple of posts back, someone exercised the Buy It Now option at $650.

Would have been interesting to see just how high it would have gone in 'open' bidding, but that's just academics at this point.

Earl

Actually I meant the highest bid before the person bought it now.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:

Last bid listed was $300.00.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

Oh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood your question.
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 11-09-2011, 11:05 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
There would be those in many foreign countries who would consider us nuts for spending even $150,000 on a house! Much less the $250K or so that is about 'average' for a new house in this country.

Earl

There are those in THIS country who consider it nuts to spend $150k on a house...

We have 2100 sq. ft for $46,000 +interest...

It's nice when your mortgage is lower than the truck note... (and thankfully the truck is paid off now).

later! OL JR
Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I was willing to go to $400 but no more.
I'm a big proponent of people being to be able to spend their money on whatever they want, Legal or NOT....most things that are illegal shouldn't be but that's a discussion for a different thread altogether.
Whether one should FOOLISHLY spend their money on something with a ridiculously inflated price is also another topic.
Many would probably think I spent a foolish amount of money on an 18K Datejust watch, but I don't...it's all relative I guess.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !