Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
These pictures bring three things to mind:

[1] I wish Semroc included that Swift decal sheet in today's Swift kits!

[2] How did those original Semroc kit's shock cord anchors work? (From the kit parts illustrations in the "Rocketeer Collector's Journal," it looked like a card stock strip with two slits cut parallel to its long sides--as if the strip was perhaps rolled into a cylinder and glued down inside the body tube, like the anchor ring used in the early Centuri Astro-1 kits.)

[3] Are the instructions in the original Semroc kits in booklet form as in the current kits?

Many thanks in advance for shedding any light on these!

Not tryin to over do it, but carefully moved things around & got as many inside pics as i could-was a decal also in APHELION kit; plans are in booklet form. Will photocopy all I can (thru bag on my photocopier) & make available to all who want. Hope this helps-feel free to contact as will leave them out of box till I can get all info I can. Dont see any shock cord mounts but is a pic. dan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00046.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  151.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00047.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  147.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00048.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  150.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00049.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  148.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00050.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  151.3 KB  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Not tryin to over do it, but carefully moved things around & got as many inside pics as i could-was a decal also in APHELION kit; plans are in booklet form. Will photocopy all I can (thru bag on my photocopier) & make available to all who want. Hope this helps-feel free to contact as will leave them out of box till I can get all info I can. Dont see any shock cord mounts but is a pic. dan.

MORE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC00055.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  151.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00054.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  150.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00053.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  149.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00052.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  135.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00051.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  149.9 KB  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:47 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
MORE

MORE-got a few twice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC00057.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  137.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00056.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  132.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00055.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  151.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00054.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  150.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00053.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  149.1 KB  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks Dan for posting these pics.

I noticed in the instructions to spray the rocket with clear enamel to proctect the decals. It says not to us clear dope because it will not work. GH wil be disappointed..he likes dope, especially on his rockets.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism

I noticed in the instructions to spray the rocket with clear enamel to proctect the decals. It says not to us clear dope because it will not work. GH wil be disappointed..he likes dope, especially on his rockets.

HA ! I get yer drift; by the way, I just examined the LUNE R 1-no decals (or dope) with that kit. Also copied the decals thru the bag on other 2 kits-should work nicely for anyone wanting to make some! And thank you for writing. dan.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism

Thankfully, there's a lot of space to work with to move insides around. Found this shock cord mount in APHELIAN kit after last reply. Took close-ups in sections to read better & outside to eliminate flash glare. dan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC00059.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  156.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00060.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  134.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00061.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  148.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00062.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  143.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC00063.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  141.7 KB  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:57 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Here's a pic of Danny's Semroc kits. First time I've ever seen original Semroc kits in the wild.

How old are the kits? I wonder if the motors are still safe to use? Is there a shelf life on motors?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyaugo
How old are the kits? I wonder if the motors are still safe to use? Is there a shelf life on motors?

The motors in the bags are dated from different days in July-1970. I read somewhere the other day a rocket motor's shelf life could be decades if kept in a cool dry place where there's little fluxuation of temperature, humidity and so on. These kits came from someone I dealt with in the 1980s, who bought them new & kept them in such an enviornment. He actually works for NASA. I'd use one of these engines in my most coveted rocket w/o (much ) worry-mainly because I know where they came from & how they were stored. (ok-here comes tha criticism-ha). Several years ago, I actually flew a Centuri B3 - 5 & some Estes B8-4s from the 60s w/no problem-still have tha casings. But then, I flew some Estes A3-4t motors that blew a few rockets to pieces that were dated 1973. So its anyone's guess. When a motor fails like that, its mainly from a crack in the grain from these changes. dan.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
The motors in the bags are dated from different days in July-1970. I read somewhere the other day a rocket motor's shelf life could be decades if kept in a cool dry place where there's little fluxuation of temperature, humidity and so on. These kits came from someone I dealt with in the 1980s, who bought them new & kept them in such an enviornment. He actually works for NASA. I'd use one of these engines in my most coveted rocket w/o (much ) worry-mainly because I know where they came from & how they were stored. (ok-here comes tha criticism-ha). Several years ago, I actually flew a Centuri B3 - 5 & some Estes B8-4s from the 60s w/no problem-still have tha casings. But then, I flew some Estes A3-4t motors that blew a few rockets to pieces that were dated 1973. So its anyone's guess. When a motor fails like that, its mainly from a crack in the grain from these changes. dan.

On my last launch I had a "D" engine blow out the inside of the rocket while on the pad..not sure why it happened, but it was a first for me.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Think they were sold in all 50. dannymrmissile. engines I got came from oregon.
They were definitely sold in Florida. At the now-defunct Orange Blossom Hobbies in Miami, I saw an original Semroc Lune R-1 (a stand-alone kit, not the starter set) in the early 1970s. Alas, it was a classic example of "If I knew then what I know now..." :-(
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR