Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2006, 10:10 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default BARCLONE Flight Report

I finally managed a nice Saturday late-afternoon without rain or high wind here in downtown Tillman's Corner (Mobile), Alabama, though even at 4:30 it was still quite hot under a now-clouding sky. There was a light breeze blowing from the south (off the Gulf) but nothing I felt uncomfortable punching a few A8-3 motors into. This became my stock motor for the whole session, except for one A3-4T which screamed. I took ten models with me -- three Estes clones, two of Jay's designs, and five BARCLONEs. It took me an hour and 45 minutes and two bottles of water to get eleven flights in, as I packed and prepped each model one at a time before launch.

First up was a painted, but decal-less, Baby Bertha. Very slow off the pad, absolutely no spiraling from offset fins, and the parachute deployed softly, if maybe post-apogee. I think I actually heard the ejection charge, but not the parachute. The altitude didn't appear spectacular, but it was fine for judging the upper winds. Maybe 150' if that high. I think that's what the Baby will be used for in the future when I fly. It beats the traditional sacrificial Mosquito...

A primered-and-sanded Tradewind launched with perhaps the only wiggle of any flight, but this was momentary and likely due to a sudden gust just as it left the rod. It quickly corrected and continued in a nice, straight line to apogee. The open-frame fins worked just like contemporary solid fins, and didn't show any signs of fatigue after the landing. This model suffered a big raspberry in the nose cone from a serious case of "Estes Dent Syndrome", caused by a too-aggressive ejection charge. I heard this charge go off, and knew it was a hard jolt to the model. I didn't realize just how hard it was until I got over to it. About a 3/4" long gash, at least 1/16" to 3/32" deep in the bottom edge of the nose cone, with a matching rash on the edge of the tube where it hit. A little FNF and some sanding will take care of this battle scar before giving it the final finish it deserves.

Next up was a primered Stryker, and this one has just become one of my favorite models. I actually launched this one twice, just to see the special effect this model demonstrated on the first flight. Slow, due to its large wing area, but smooth and graceful it was. Each flight started with the model on the pad fin-tip-into the wind; one flight had the starboard tip facing the wind, the other flight had the port tip into the wind. This was mostly by accident, and had more to do with the way the igniter was situated in the motor than by any sense of planning. On both flights, the model slowly rotated belly-down into the wind by itself, so that at apogee, the model was fully horizontal and had the appearance I was looking to achieve -- that of a futuristic biz-jet. I had absolutely no idea this would happen, and I will just have to fly it again at the next session to see if the effect is a result of the design, or just a freak happenstance of the moment.

A primered-and-sanded Snitch was the next model, and became the first casualty of the day. The parachute got tangled in the shock chord, which tightened up in a knot around the parachute and never allowed it to open up. A fin was fractured, though not broken off, and may have been what hit the ground first. It was spiraling as it came down. Straight flight to apogee, no strange motion on the ascent, but the tangle allowed it to come down just too fast. Repairable.

Loadmaster B (with the ogive nose cone) shot up faster than any of the other models with the A8-3. It is a performance model with a payload model design. It also seemed to reach a higher altitude than the other BARCLONE models except one. RockSim predicted 222' and I think it reached somewhere near this.

The Tau Zero and the Prometheus flew next, and I've created separate reports for these, as they are prototypes for Jay and I wanted to concentrate my observations. The Prometheus flew with no issues at all, while the Tau Zero ejected its motor. This was sorta cool, though, as it was still smoking all the way to the ground as it fell. I did recover the motor.

The finished Estes Icarus clone flew after the Prometheus, and became the second casualty of the day. And like the first incident, this was also a parachute failure. This time, though, the parachute sheared completely and drifted for several hundreds of feet before landing near the building. That's the second parachute I've lost to the same problem -- I had a separate 'leash' between the snap-link and the six shroud lines made of a thicker cotton thread, and on both occasions it was this which popped as the parachute opened up. I now have a much greater respect for the power involved in these explosive openings than I did before. After several of these flights, I also noticed the snap links had opened up at deployment even though I had snapped them closed prior to launch. When the Icarus hit the ground, it did so tube-edge-first, and crunched about 2" on one side. Not nice, but not enough to prevent another flight later.

An Estes TEROS clone with an original Estes balsa nose cone (from an original TEROS kit, BTW) flew without any issues. Straight and smooth, but also quick off the pad. Recovered safely.

The last of the unflown models was my Spear Tip, which is the model that started my 'open-frame-fin' series of designs. We had already heard from another forum member about the flight of this model, so I was anxious to see mine in action. This proved to be a far-more spectacular flight than I thought it would be. The model flew higher than any of the others -- RockSim predicted 359' -- even though it was burning an A3-4T 13mm motor. Very rapid acceleration off the pad, no stability issues at all, quickly reaching apogee and almost completely out-of-sight. I packed a streamer in this one, as a parachute simply would not fit. No problems with the recovery, as it came down slow enough and was horizontal.

The last flight was the second Stryker launch.

I'm pleased with the outcome, even with the two minor mishaps with weak or jammed parachutes . I launched everything, came home with everything, and had eleven generally great flights in the process.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 08-20-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM
BP Mafia

I thought I heard something as I was leaving Alabama. I thought it was a truck backfiring, but apparently it was A8-3 ejection charges.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Picture of the ejection charge damage

Here's a picture of the nose cone damage caused by the ejection charge yesterday. The nose cone is a BC-1052 (ST-10)...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Tradewind NC Dent.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  147.6 KB  

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Here's a picture of the nose cone damage caused by the ejection charge yesterday. The nose cone is a BC-1052 (ST-10)...

Been there, done that. Someone needs to make a t-shirt.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The quality control of ejection charge BP amount at Estes absolutely stinks.
I have had D12's that barely eject the chute of a BT55 rocket (Cherokee D) and have had 1/2A6-2 , A8-5, B6-4, and E9-6 charges blow rockets apart, separate shock cords, and eject so hard that the cone snaps back 4 feet of shock cord and still produces a "smiley" on the cone as well as an "Estes tube dent".
I never recall this happening from the mid seventies through the early 90's....had some C5-3 and D13 CATOs, but no shotgen ejection charges. This is NOT that difficult to do correctly in this day and age of computer-controlled manufacturing....get it RIGHT, Estes!
I never have this problem with my Aerotech RMS 24, 18, 29mm and HPR stuff....I control the amount of BP, and while I am NOT a computer, I most certainly can tell if I pour a DOUBLE (or worse) charge into the ejection well. I am an electrical engineer by trade and can state that a device to check how much powder is in every engine with a 99.9% accuracy would NOT be difficult. If my company built cars with the same level of quality control that they use for their ejection charges, chances of breakdown would be about 10% on any given day, but I don't want to walk to work every 10th day....the company would be bankrupt too.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Flight report for September 10, 2006

This was as near to a perfect day of flying as I've had in years. There was barely any wind, overcast, and I managed to rustle up a tracker to go with me. I got in 16 solid flights over a two-hour session until dark clouds with a smell of rain and the distant rumble of thunder said it was time for us to skat.

There were 14 first-flighters in the batch, along with two repeat-performers - the Stryker and the Tau Zero.

As before, all of these were primered, one or two were sanded, but none painted (except for the Tau Zero). Now I can give some thought to finishing these and setting one or two up for display with satisfaction.

I'm thinking about which ones to fly next time. Most of the birds I have left without flights on them are Estes clones, but I still have a few Barclones to try out.

-------------------------------------
Flight dialog begins
-------------------------------------

Flight 1: Estes Rascal clone on an A8-3. Very nice ascent, no rotation, maybe 180-200 feet, certainly no more than that. Like the Baby Bertha, this is a slow-riser, and makes for a perfect "wind-test" bird. You can see this one through all aspects of the flight. The parachute snap link failed at deployment, and the model returned in break-apart mode; the parachute landed within 15' of the launch pad, nearly straight down from altitude. No damage to the model.

Flight 2: Barclone Stryker on a B6-4. Absolute WOW! This was a flight with authority. One of my pre-RockSim designs, the stability of this model proved itself solidly and not just a fluke. It maintained a straight ascent right into the coast phase, before arcing over and deploying the laundry. My ad-hoc tracker/chaser was suitably impressed, as I was. Our eyeballs are clearly not as calibrated as RockSim, but we nearly lost it before deployment and felt sure we were at or near 500'. RockSim says 400' on the B6-4, and I think the final tick will be somewhere in between. It looked that high, anyway. Clean parachute recovery.

Flight 3: Semroc Tau Zero prototype on a B6-4. Another flight with authority, as it screamed off the pad. This is the 10" body tube version, and I feel it will handle the C6 just as cleanly. If I had to pick an issue to warn about, it was an unexpected tilt behind us in the flight path, which was a consistent arc from the pad up to deployment. The rod was pointed a couple degrees to the south, and what breeze there was came from the south off of the Gulf of Mexico. The model therefore should have arced toward the south, into the wind, but instead went exactly the opposite direction. Our visual observation told us 600' easily, and RockSim confirms that to be the correct range on this motor. There was no observable wiggle of instability on this model under power, just the unexpected downwind turn. Still a good flight on this bird. Recovered with a 2" x 20" streamer, no damage. Wadding got stuck in the top end again, and the motor was blown out the back, but the streamer deployed and brought the model back safely. An engine hook is highly recommended

Flight 4: Estes Constellation clone on an A8-3. Smooth, with no negative flight issues to report. Estimated altitude about 180+ feet. Parachute recovery.

Flight 5: Barclone Clipper on an A8-3. Another good flight, with better altitude than I expected for the soft motor. RockSim says 350', although I suggest more modest performance at 180-250'. I could be wrong, but my caller didn't think it did more than this, either. Still slick for a model that was drawn up in 2003 and not designed with RockSim originally; just a few brain cells rubbing together in the early days. Streamer recovery.

Flight 6: Barclone Lil' Battle Axe on an A8-3. Zoom! No issues on this flight, and we feel a solid 250' of altitude was reached. RockSim says much better, about 380', but it didn't seem that high. Maybe it was, but we both didn't think so. This model also blew out the motor, even though I had it snug with masking tape. I guess I just need to learn the secrets of how much tape to use, but it's hard to get enough when it doesn't want to even go in to begin with, and still blows out. Streamer recovery.

Flight 7: Estes Citation Patriot clone on a B6-4. Nice. Slow, smooth, but with enough power to reach at least 200 feet. Stayed inside the field, and we could watch it without squinting. Parachute recovery.

Flight 8: Barclone Gryphon on an A8-3. Very fast off the pad, no wiggles, deployed on the ascent, and RockSim confirms this. I needed the A8-5 to have a perfect apogee deployment. Streamer recovery. Another pre-RockSim design for me from 2003. Awesome!

Flight 9: Barclone Mini Loader on a 1/2A3-4T. EGADS! This is so hot with such a small motor. We estimated 250', and RockSim says it should have reached about 215', so I think it's going to be close in between. We had to fly this one without a streamer, as it just would not fit in that short, tight ST-5 space. Didn't need one, but it would have been helpful to see it after apogee. I was convinced we were going to loose it, like a Mosquito, but we both managed to keep our eyes on it all the way to the ground.

Flight 10: Barclone Thunder Goon on a B6-4. Beautiful flight, not a zippy dude by any standard, but smooth in flight and no wiggles. We say 250-300 feet, RockSim says nearly 400'. Probably split the difference. No hesitation of flying this model on the B6-4 as a regular item.

Flight 11: Estes Arrow clone on a B6-4. High-drag design, so I didn't expect high-altitude performance. Another 250-300' flight, with 2" streamer recovery. Good combination.

Flight 12: Barclone MARK III on an A8-3. Hot deployment, we feel at about 225-250', still ascending. RockSim concurs exactly, on both points, but doesn't suggest a hot deploy at only 7 FPS. Must be a hot ejection charge. Good flight, streamer recovery.

Flight 13: Barclone Lynx on an A8-3. Streamer recovery. Smooth, straight, and no issues. RockSim says 150', we feel maybe a bit higher, but below 200'.

Flight 14: Barclone Pug on an A3-4T. No streamer, as there was no room to put it in the model. We called it on the field to have reached 450-500', and RockSim says it should have been almost 675' on this motor. Maybe, but not likely, as my caller kept his eyes on it all the way. I lost track of it for a few seconds after the deploy charge, but spotted it maybe 100' above ground. I can't say this is my favorite, but it's got performance.

Flight 15: Barclone Streak on an A3-4T. Nice, smooth, makes a great Schoolyard Sounder. We called the altitude at 350', but RockSim says 410'. Split the difference. Happy Happy Joy Joy...

Flight 16: Barclone Eaglet on an A3-4T. Nearly called for darkness, but we pushed it through at the last moment before packing it in. Another WOW flight, with performance to spare. My spotter and I called it 500' easily, and RockSim concurs with 555'. I'll take a split happily. This is a real powerhouse model in the Schoolyard Sounders line. Streamer recovery.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 09-10-2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Missed reporting the Lynx...
Old 10-01-2006, 07:32 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Flight Report for October 1

Well, the big day finally arrived to give the Tau Zero its official "baptism of fire" with a C6-5. The field needed cutting, and I was viciously attacked by an ant that crawled up my pants leg and struck behind my left knee. My spotter remembered to bring his digital camera this time, so we were able to get a couple of shots of the TZ. The lift-off shot was late, and all that remains in the frame is the column of smoke. You also get to see my lovely mug for the first time...

I'll start with a list of the other models and some brief comments on each. This was mostly a "fly what hasn't flown" session, using mostly A8-3 motors to see what the performance would be like. I only flew one BARCLONE original, a couple of Quest kits, and some Estes clones. I used the same parachute on each flight, and it really shows the scars. It's more hole-y than righteous now...

There was a very slight, periodic breeze from the south, but for the most part it was calm and hot. Temps were still hovering in the 90's, and the humidity was still high enough to be uncomfortable. We arrived at the schoolyard about 4:15 pm...

--------------------------------------

1. Estes Der Red Max, clone. Motor chosen was a B6-4. A misfire visibly popped the igniter out of the nozzle on the first press, and there was an audible 'pop'. A new igniter solved the problem. The model landed about 30' from the pad on a 12" parachute.

2. Estes Star Snoop, clone, uprated for 18mm. Motor was the A8-3. PLENTY of power! Nice, smooth, straight flight with just a slight weathercocking to the south. Landed about 20' from the pad on a 12" parachute.

3. Estes Zoom Broom, clone, uprated for 18mm. Motor was the A8-3, and like it's cousin above, this is plenty of power. An A3-4T would probably have been even better. There was a very slight counter-clockwise rotation during ascent, and this really gave it the look of a "victory roll". Again, landing was about 30' from the pad under a 12" parachute.

4. Estes #2 Skywriter, new kit. Even with a wimpy motor as the A8-3 is this puts in a reasonably nice performance. The parachute deployed clearly on the post-apogee leg, and it appeared to have a snapping action as the parachute opened. This indicates the Dv might have been a tad high. Still landed about 30' from the pad.

5. Quest Falcon, kit. Flown on a B4-4. Nice, smooth lift-off with no bad tendencies. A slight breeze from the SSE had kicked up and the flight drifted toward the west side of the pads. Still, it landed under a 12" parachute only about 60' away.

6. SEMROC Tau Zero Prototype with 10" main body length. Motor choice was the C6-5. This was the nail-biter flight, and I had every expectation of loosing it to drift, or to ballistic impact from a popped motor. Let me say right now, neither happened. I used the 2" x 20" streamer for this one, and it was more than sufficient to bring the model down in the field. The motor did not pop out as it had on the two previous flights. I used less wadding in the tube than the earlier flights, too, and I think this helped.

The model was photographed in my loving hands before pressing the button. My buddy with the camera tried to get a "power shot" of the model lifting off, but by the time the camera caught the image the Tau Zero was at least 100' above our heads screaming for the nether reaches. All he wound up with was a column of smoke and the inverted mushroom around the blast deflector.

For the first time, I noticed the wiggle that Jay described on his "B" flight, but it was not nearly enough to cause unstable corkscrews. This model tore through the air incredibly fast on that "C" motor, and was barely a pinprick at the head of a very thick tracking smoke contrail. There was a measurable time gap between the burnout of thrust and the pickup of smoke, and I nearly lost it in this gap. But when the streamer deployed it was quite noticeable from the ground. RockSim predicted over 1100', and I'm not going to argue! This was a spectacular flight by any standard.

My spotter managed to capture the model just moments before it hit the ground, and the slight breeze still shifted the model about 200' west of the pad. But from 1100' up, this was more than acceptable. It was still very much in the field.

I am convinced the model needs that extra length to perform within a safe margin of stability. The shorter body length will require ballast which will reduce performance a bit. The C6 was on the edge of the margin, I think, in spite of the optimistic numbers RockSim gives (1.55 calibre). The wiggle says as much, but it was still capable of putting in a great flight without cartwheeling.

7. Quest Payloader One, new kit. Motor choice was the A8-3. No complaints, and was a bit of a wimp in performance compared to the TZ flight it followed; but the deployment was right at apogee and the recovery was within 75' on a 12" parachute.

8. Quest Intruder, new kit. Motor choice was the A8-3. No issues, and deployed safely for a landing under a 12" parachute about 50' from the pad. Nearly landed on top of us. A B4-4 would be a better choice.

9. BARCLONE Blue Sneek, repaired from first flight with increased fin area. Motor chosen was the A8-3. A much improved flight compared to the first flight a few months ago. It wiggled back then because the fin area was not sufficient. It is now. No issues to report. Landed about 20' from the pad under a 12" parachute.

--------------------------------------

Photos attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Me and my TZ [LG].jpg
Views: 212
Size:  279.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TZ on the pad.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  114.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  TZ near touchdown.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  20.6 KB  

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up Great Flight Reports!

Great flight report Craig. I really envy all that clear area you have with no trees. Also I must say its good to put a warm face to all that rocket talk. Our flying weather around here is coming to a quick close soon. The rains will be here soon and probalby won't stop until June.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907
Old 10-01-2006, 10:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
Great flight report Craig. I really envy all that clear area you have with no trees. Also I must say its good to put a warm face to all that rocket talk. Our flying weather around here is coming to a quick close soon. The rains will be here soon and probalby won't stop until June.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Thanks, James. It's a nice field, and very local to my home (less than two miles...). We've probably got another two months before the temps drop uncomfortably to be out. By that time the winds have also picked up from the north, so flying can be dicey. I'm trying to take advantage of every opportunity I have to fly now. It was hot today, but not like it has been.

Rain here is still on the short side, but it doesn't usually go for very long...

The camera still works, BTW; the lens didn't shatter in agony...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-01-2006, 10:45 PM
BP Mafia

For some reason I always imagined you with a beard.

I miss being SAM 0058