Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Default Umbrella Recovery?

Ok, so I have in my posession a kit that I did not even know existed until I got it. It is the Mary Poppins Bumper Chute kit number 530 from QCR. It employs an actual umbrella for recovery. Apparently it uses the same deployment method as a helicopter recovery does.

As this is not my thing, I know nothing about it and was wondering if anyone here might be familiar with this kit. It first came out in 1996. Has anyone built or flown one? I would love to know how well it works. I am curious how many of these are still around. Mine is apparently in the original newspaper bag it came in. I am very curious.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  umbrella rocket.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  781.6 KB  

I hate rules.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
7/21/61

Harold,

I've never seen or heard of it either. But reading the first 3 lines of the instructions I'm just really jealous.

1. Cut handle off included umbrella
2. Cut top off included umbrella
3. Stuff an expended 13 mm casing inside an expended 18 mm casing and then stuff that inside an expended 24 mm casing to make a crucial part of this rocket (sounds like a tur-duck-en).

Man I'd like to see the rest of those instructions.

I've bought a LOT of great QCR kits over the years but I never got one like THAT!

Steve
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Harold,

I've never seen or heard of it either. But reading the first 3 lines of the instructions I'm just really jealous.

Man I'd like to see the rest of those instructions.

I've bought a LOT of great QCR kits over the years but I never got one like THAT!

Steve

Wow Steve, all I can say is you have good eyes. I certainly can make a copy ot these instructions available to anyone that wants. Just send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send you a photocopy.

I have not decided what to do with the kit yet, but I know there is the whole YORP thing that folks make great use of. If this is something that might be appreciated, I would be happy to share, if the folks with the knowledge simply explain how.

I hate rules.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

I've seen one fly, it's just hilarious - Ken did a number of odd-rocs like that years ago, don't think QCR still carries them.

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 PM
CG to close to CP

I would be interested in a copy, as I fly a few odd things, and many with parachutes made from umbrellas.

Will follow up with PM
Thanks
Mike
Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Star Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Ok, so I have in my posession a kit that I did not even know existed until I got it. It is the Mary Poppins Bumper Chute kit number 530 from QCR. It employs an actual umbrella for recovery. Apparently it uses the same deployment method as a helicopter recovery does.

As this is not my thing, I know nothing about it and was wondering if anyone here might be familiar with this kit. It first came out in 1996. Has anyone built or flown one? I would love to know how well it works. I am curious how many of these are still around. Mine is apparently in the original newspaper bag it came in. I am very curious.

Thanks

Actually that has been done quite bit with modified used umbrellas at club launches. Who knows how it all started or what came first. As its so happens there was one this past Saturday. Bill Spadafora, commented on the PA at the Maine Launch sponsored by CMASS and hosted by MMMSC Club one of the 'black 'chutes' deployed was from an umbrella, I forget the name of the rocket it was an upscale something-or-other, but I did notice the blackness of the canopy. Do you know how many busted umbrellas exist on a rainy season in Boston strewn against fences alone on a weekly basis! Its an umbrella holocaust!
NAR #92766
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun
Actually that has been done quite bit with modified used umbrellas at club launches. Who knows how it all started or what came first. As its so happens there was one this past Saturday. Bill Spadafora, commented on the PA at the Maine Launch sponsored by CMASS and hosted by MMMSC Club one of the 'black 'chutes' deployed was from an umbrella, I forget the name of the rocket it was an upscale something-or-other, but I did notice the blackness of the canopy. Do you know how many busted umbrellas exist on a rainy season in Boston strewn against fences alone on a weekly basis! Its an umbrella holocaust!

Curious. But are these parachutes made from umbrella skins or are they actual umbrellas? I have not seen one myself. This kit employs an actual umbrella, wire frame and all.

I hate rules.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Curious. But are these parachutes made from umbrella skins or are they actual umbrellas? I have not seen one myself. This kit employs an actual umbrella, wire frame and all.

I think you gut the umbrella to get the canopy...

You know. I don't thiink you do. I think the umbrella fits into the tube and slides down until the NC is at the top. The ejection charge then pushes it up to a stop on the lip of the BT. Pure guess but it would appear that is where the instructions are leading. Did you scan the instruction sheet?
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
I think you gut the umbrella to get the canopy...

You know. I don't thiink you do. I think the umbrella fits into the tube and slides down until the NC is at the top. The ejection charge then pushes it up to a stop on the lip of the BT. Pure guess but it would appear that is where the instructions are leading. Did you scan the instruction sheet?

Yes, in this kit the umbrella installs whole and pops up at ejection.

I have not scanned anything yet, but have offered to mail photocopies of the instructions. I need to talk to Scott and see if he is interested.

I hate rules.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Master Modeler

Harold,

I'll take a copy

Daniel