Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Well, final price DID break $650.

Final winning bid was $659.99, with 58 bids.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Master Blaster

Default Ho Joe's A Go Go

The final price was $659.99 , And that's a lot of cake for some Paper Tubes and Sticks.

I do see the Historical Value in this Model, but I don't own a Museum to keep it in.
that is why , when I get my hands on an old kit like this I build it, what a shame.
but then again I would never pay $660.00 plus for any Model Rocket, but to each their own.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Old BAR

Having been an involved Ebayer for a long time, I would be willing to bet a cold beer the guy never collects that insane amount of cash for that LJ II.
I have been amazed, as a seller, how hard it is to collect sometimes.

I finally sold a brand new Northface backbpack- in a Northface box and still factory wrapped- on the 4th attempt; the other 3 attempts were busts. There were 3 winners, but they would never pay their winning bids!

The buyers never seemed to care about the minimal reprisals Ebay had in place.

Allen
Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Having been an involved Ebayer for a long time, I would be willing to bet a cold beer the guy never collects that insane amount of cash for that LJ II.
I have been amazed, as a seller, how hard it is to collect sometimes.

I finally sold a brand new Northface backbpack- in a Northface box and still factory wrapped- on the 4th attempt; the other 3 attempts were busts. There were 3 winners, but they would never pay their winning bids!

The buyers never seemed to care about the minimal reprisals Ebay had in place.

Allen

I would think this rocket has already been paid for, and if not, it will be soon. Just a hunch.

Beyond that, I have to say that, after more than 13 years on ebay, I can count on one hand the number of people that have not paid. There were a few that needed a little nudge, but generally collection has not been a problem.

I hate rules.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Old BAR

True, Harold,

You are right, especially where rockets and model aircraft are concerned. My troubles stemmed from have to dip into a much larger market of buyers, I guess. One nowhere near as honorable a group as a whole, perhaps, as the rocketry group!

In fact, I never had a bad experience until I tried to sell things non-hobby-related.

You're a fantastic seller yourself, BTW!

As are all the ones i have dealt with on this forum have been.

The LJ's winning bidder's bid pattern is interesting to analyze, as well as the sniper that tried to get him 6 seconds from the end.

Allen
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

There were three bidders that ran up the price. This K-30 LJ is transitional kit with pre Damon hang tag and Damon facecard in very good condition. First one I've seen.....

On August 9, I attended the Stack's Bowers auction at the Philadelphia American Numismatic Convention. The 1873-CC No Arrows dime brought hammer price of $1,600,000 and $1,840,000 with the buyer's premium. Nice early Carson City coins brought any where from $25,000 to $400,000. But they are only made of silver and copper worth less than $20 or gold worth less than $1700. Why would people pay such kind of monies for these items????

At an earlier auction session, I spent $4100 for one dime for my Liberty Seated Dime set.

There are all types of collectible markets......some are much more well established than others. For model rocket kit collecting we are in the infancy stage but making progress as evidenced by price paid for LJ kit.

Displaying a personal Estes kit collection is a challenge. But with the internet, one can take a kit collection to the web rather than building a home museum. Most valuable rare coins are stored in bank boxes. My PCGS registry collection definitely stays in the bank until time to dispay at major coin show.

Just my 10cents

Last edited by gerryfortin : 08-25-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

If I ever bought something like that ( ), I'd never build it.
At that price it would stay in that condition - in safe deposit box somewhere...