Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Roy, yours is an Original. It should be worth considerably more than what is coming, right?

The demand for it will still go down. The group of buyers who want it because it is ancient is much smaller than those who want it because it exists at all.

For instance, if a new kit was available when I bought the one I have, I would've gone for the new kit.

Something like the MMI Aerobee Hi was probably not damaged in value much when Semroc made its clone available a few years ago and then when Quest brought out its 50th ann. tribute kit a few years ago. Though the Quest kit duplicated the MMI kit in most respects, the rarity of the original MMI kit (which might have long gone vinyl or maple nose cones, or Brown Mfg motors in it) would have kept its value.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Craftsman

Wow! This is absolutely on my must-have list!

My Rocketreviews.com Gallery
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Not so Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
grrr..

Now I can't sell mine.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Launching since 1970.

If it comes with flight parts (internal paper tube and recovery system, etc.) it will be too heavy to fly with modern Estes C6-3 motors and WAYYYY too heavy for the Quest "C6" which is a C3.5

The only motor I would use in it is the Aerotech D10 and that will get hot and have the delay afterburn. The hot casing and the "hibachi effect" will heat and melt the plastic body.

I built and flew many of these back in the 1970's, so I know what I am talking about.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Craftsman

I wonder if Round 2 will attempt to manufacture it in plastic that is lighter-weight than the original kit. Might that reduce the weight enough to make it flight-worthy on modern engines?

My Rocketreviews.com Gallery
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Master Modeler

I for one am just glad to see the Vostok be offered.
I'm sure we will work out the kinks with the weight problems.
Just let us have a shoot at it.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Master Modeler

Fred,

Thanks for the reminder about this "hibachi effect". This explains what I've been seeing on some of my Aerotech D10 models and especially what happened to my Estes Astrobeam (twice) on a D10-5.

For others, a great explanation is in an old Apogee newsletter (which is the first thing that came up on my search as Fred suggested). It is here: http://www.apogeerockets.com/educat...ewsletter28.pdf
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Master Modeler

"hibachi effect" This is good, we are already starting to solve possible problem that might come up, and the kit isn't even released yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Fred,

Thanks for the reminder about this "hibachi effect". This explains what I've been seeing on some of my Aerotech D10 models and especially what happened to my Estes Astrobeam (twice) on a D10-5.

For others, a great explanation is in an old Apogee newsletter (which is the first thing that came up on my search as Fred suggested). It is here: http://www.apogeerockets.com/educat...ewsletter28.pdf
Thank you for posting a link to this article. In it, Tim Van Milligan says that the hibachi effect has the greatest effect within one inch of the top end of the motor. He mentions applying a thin layer of epoxy to the inside walls of the body tube in this area. For a plastic model such as the MPC Vostok, maybe bonding a layer of Nomex felt insulation to the inner walls of the body above the motor would prevent hibachi effect "meltage" of the plastic?
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Hibachi effect - Vostok

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Thank you for posting a link to this article. In it, Tim Van Milligan says that the hibachi effect has the greatest effect within one inch of the top end of the motor. He mentions applying a thin layer of epoxy to the inside walls of the body tube in this area. For a plastic model such as the MPC Vostok, maybe bonding a layer of Nomex felt insulation to the inner walls of the body above the motor would prevent hibachi effect "meltage" of the plastic?

Excellent idea! Another take on the same solution would be to insert two or three fishpaper stage couplers in front of the thrust ring, or perhaps Bill at BMS would consider having some foil lined BT20's made.

Garth