Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
aka Baron von Rohde

Thanks for the pictures Bill, and I appreciate your thoughts on the Optima. The engine mount was blown clear out and cooked, and after I pullled it apart where the tube was bent, found the bottow half of the baffle was fried as well. I'll order up the parts to repair it from SemRoc and glue the one fin back on, it'll almost be as good as new. I had originally built it with interchangeable mounts, so I'll probably go with the twin mount and go with 2 D12's or 2 E9's. After going 2 for 3 with the E12's, I think I'll stay away from them for a while.

Mike
SAM 0114
NARtrek Silver

2015 motors - 1469 n/s (200 flights)
2016 motors - 1238 n/s (175 flights)
2017 motors - 1/2A-4, A-26, B-52, C-47, D-6, E-7, F-3 = 1238 n/s (138 flights)
2018 motors - 1128 n/s (104 flights)
2019 motors - 2241 n/s (189 flights)
2020 motors(thru 7/25/20) - 1/8A-1, 1/2A-3, A-14, B-23, C-27, D-11, E-6, F-2 = 876 n/s (81 flights)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRohde
Thanks for the pictures Bill, and I appreciate your thoughts on the Optima. The engine mount was blown clear out and cooked, and after I pullled it apart where the tube was bent, found the bottow half of the baffle was fried as well. I'll order up the parts to repair it from SemRoc and glue the one fin back on, it'll almost be as good as new. I had originally built it with interchangeable mounts, so I'll probably go with the twin mount and go with 2 D12's or 2 E9's. After going 2 for 3 with the E12's, I think I'll stay away from them for a while.

Mike

This past spring at a launch up near Cleveland my brother in law mentioned that I sure used "a lot of white" in my paint schemes, and I realized he was right. I've been trying to think of something new ever since then. I'm still trying. Really loved the looks of yours, especially the absence of gloss. What kind of paint did you use?
Definitely call Estes on the CATO. When the E9 blew at NARAM a couple of years ago, I let them know about it and was very happy with the response. They not only sent me three packs of D12s, but also sent me a Mega Mosquito for the damage to my Viking V.
As for the E12s, I'm going to have to make that determination myself. (My record isn't that great anyway. .666 might actually rase my average.)
Any idea if they flew today or if there was any fallout from yesterday?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
aka Baron von Rohde

The paint is Krylon's Pewter Grey and Navy Blue, the fact it's a matt finish is purely accidental. I'm not sure why, but I couldn't get it to gloss up when I painted it so I just left it. I plan on taking a few pictures of the motor etc., tomorrow in the daylight (camera battery died when I tried this evening) and drop Estes and NAR a line on this.

As far as today goes, I didn't go out, had too many things to do, but an absence of an email saying it was cancelled leaves me to believe they did indeed fly (wind and all). Steve seemed to believe Sat. that the owner wouldn't be upset, but only time will tell.

Here's hoping Thanksgiving weekend will be good weatherwise.

Mike
SAM 0114
NARtrek Silver

2015 motors - 1469 n/s (200 flights)
2016 motors - 1238 n/s (175 flights)
2017 motors - 1/2A-4, A-26, B-52, C-47, D-6, E-7, F-3 = 1238 n/s (138 flights)
2018 motors - 1128 n/s (104 flights)
2019 motors - 2241 n/s (189 flights)
2020 motors(thru 7/25/20) - 1/8A-1, 1/2A-3, A-14, B-23, C-27, D-11, E-6, F-2 = 876 n/s (81 flights)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Master Modeler

Good stuff as usual Bill. Too bad about the fire, hopefully the land owner won't get too bent out of shape.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Good stuff as usual Bill. Too bad about the fire, hopefully the land owner won't get too bent out of shape.

No real damage and nothing was threatened, so it sounds like things are okay. Keeping my fingers crossed, just in case.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Cool

Someone else had a thread on a D12 failure that blew out the nozzle. Mike, please fill a M.E.S.S. form at nar.org (Malfunctioning Engine Statistical Survey). Also, do you have the casing where you could tell us the date code on the motor? I have a lot of D12s and I do keep a note on failures so that I can use them judicially. So far, so good

Thanks,
Chas
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Someone else had a thread on a D12 failure that blew out the nozzle. Mike, please fill a M.E.S.S. form at nar.org (Malfunctioning Engine Statistical Survey). Also, do you have the casing where you could tell us the date code on the motor? I have a lot of D12s and I do keep a note on failures so that I can use them judicially. So far, so good

Thanks,
Chas

E12.

I miss being SAM 0058