Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM
BP Mafia

Default Poo on the Shoe launch

Almost felt compelled to rename B6-4 Field today as Fecal Field. I arrived late, close to 7:00, and set up in one of the few sunny spots left on the field. Almost immediately I started getting eaten alive by flies. I couldn't figure out the problem until I noticed that right behind the spot where I had set my rocket boxes was a pile of fresh goose poop, which was next to two piles of deer poop.
Hey, the sun was in my eyes.
So, I moved to an unpooped section of the field. Didn't matter much. The flies knew I was there, and they feasted.
First flight was the PD Rocketry USS Atlantis on an A8-3.

Unpainted until later this week, I didn't want to take a chance on losing it before I could get a decent pic, so I went with the A8-3. The flight was unremarkable, reaching 150-200 feet and ejecting as the rocket nosed over. Then the chute became tangled in the rear pods and the whole thing came to earth with a thud.

No damage, and the rocket will get painted this week. (I've been on a painting tear of late.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 09-09-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM
BP Mafia

Next off would be the Quest Courier, also unpainted.

This one had been sitting around almost ready for several years, and since one of my resolutions for the fall flying season was to finish a lot of the projects that I had sitting around, this was one of the kits I started with. Flight was a B6-4 and was perfect for the field. Not high enough to risk losing, but enough to make for a nice show. Kind of Super Alpha-ish with recovery in the outfield.

I finished construction on the Semroc Cherokee C last weekend, but hadn't had the chance to even get it primed. Still, it was flyable, and that was what I was looking for tonight.

A8-3 flight, and a great choice for the field. Flight was high and straight, then rode the light breeze back to the infield.

I noticed the complete lack of biting bugs on the infield, so that will be where I fly from if the opportunity presents itself next week. (Next Sunday will be my 51st birthday, so I should be allowed to do what I want on my birthday. Right?)

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM
BP Mafia

Fourth flight was the Inflight Nike X on a B6-4.

Primed, filled and finished, it just needs a coat of gloss white to be ready for decals. Nice kit. I miss Inflight.

The B6-4 flight was perfect for the field, but being a BT-55 bird, I figured that this would be the case. I'm amassing a decent collection of small field birds, so it's a good thing I have a small field handy.

The big disppointment on the day was no big surprise. I picked up several Estes Mach 12s a few years ago for some friend's kids, but they had no interest in building, just in watching. I uncovered them a couple of weeks ago while decluttering and decided to build one while I watched a ballgame one night.

B6-4 for this flight, but C6-5 in the future, if there are future flights. Flight was like watching a pig trying to take off. Then the chute didn't unfurl at ejection. The whole big pile of RTF fell to the field with a THUD, just missing the trees. Count me as not caring much.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 PM
BP Mafia

I found the Semroc Nomad sitting waiting for Fill & Finish and brought it along to let it earn its paint. Always one of my favorite Centuri designs, I almost cloned this one ten times in the last thirteen years.

This one was perfect for an A8-3. Flight was a gentle arc into the light breeze, and recovered near the trees, but not too near. Looking forward to finishing this one this week.

By this time the bugs were making it impossible to stand still. Tonight was the first time in my life that I wished for a tail. My ancient Condor clone would be the last off the pad. The only decent engine choice was a 1/2A3-2T. I had an A10-3T, but I think it might have overflown the field.

Flight was fairly low, but everything worked as it was supposed to. The glider disengaged and actually glided, but needs a little big of weight in the tail to really party like it's 1977.

Sorry about the brevity of the report, but I only had 45 minutes or so to fly. I'm off to buy some Off. Or to find a field where the geese and the deer don't roam. It grosses me out to think about kids practicing football on this field tomorrow night.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Where's the poo shot?!?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Master Modeler

" Tonight was the first time in my life that I wished for a tail."

Thanks Bill. Coffee went up my nose and on my keyboard on that one.

NAR #32070
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Nice flights, along with entertaining commentary.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Yes, excellant photos. Great report.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Where's the poo shot?!?

Geez, dude. Even I have standards.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Yes, excellant photos. Great report.

The only pic I really found interesting was the one of the Condor at ejection. I took my Olympus because the batteries had the best charge, but that's really better suited for longer range shots. It still has the telephoto setup from NARAM, and the burst is fairly slow, hence the lack of actual launch shots. I really just wanted everyone to know that someone was out there still fighting the good fight and not worrying about Bigfoot or the Super Blow halftime toilet break.

I miss being SAM 0058