Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 PM
BP Mafia

Default Box o'rockets launch at B6-4 Field

Yeah, BABY! Things hadn't cooperated lately for a launch, but today I woke up to sunny skies and light winds. Big weekend for me. I fixed two toilets, cleaned out the garage to put the mowers away, and carried some junk out of the rocket room, then headed to the field with the aforementioned box o'rockets.
Everything I flew today was either a first flight bird or the first in a long time. Leadoff flight of 13 was the Flying Turd, an Ebay Frankenstein that I bought back in 2001 thinking I was getting a BT-50 Estes Wildfire. I was going to cannibalize the nose cone to clone a 1:1 Satellite Interceptor, but when the rocket arrived I found out that it was a BT-55 upscale. I already had a bunch of the PNC-55 cones and had done the upscale. Anyway, the bird looked like it had been built with ten thumbs. The body tube was crinkled, the fins had chunks out of them and epoxy runs were all over, so I used it for a wind test bird for a couple of seasons. In short, it was fugly.

Fittingly, today I used it as a wind test bird.

Loaded with a B6-4 in honor of B6-4 Field, it once again failed to disappoint. The flight was of decent altitude and a gentle arc, but wound up being a parawad recovery victim when the parachute failed to unfurl.
Well, it had been in there since 2002. (I forgot to unfurl it before the flight.)

Bounced on recovery, but not a scratch on any of its scratches.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 10-27-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 PM
BP Mafia

Second flight was my recently completed Hemi Max on an A8-3.

Hard to tell, but the paint is Testor's Hemi Orange. The nose cone isn't fitting properly because of the extra length of the A8-3 and the big ol' streamer that was all I had in the range box. I have some Mylar streamers in the trunk, but didn't want to walk up to get them. The flight was impressive. The A8-3 is a lot of motor for a bird of this size. Streamer failed, making it the second parawad recovery bird in a row. My fault. No liftoff pic. Camera was being toady.

Next up was the NuWay Check-It. It's ready to paint except for sanding the inside of the "tube' fins, but the weather hasn't been on my side for painting either. My son and his girlfriend showed up, so from here on out she did the button pushing for me so I could catch some pics.

I thought I had some A3-4T motors that I'd bought recently, but the best I could do was a 1/2A32T. Guess what I'm buying at Hobby Lobby this week? The 1/2A did what it could, but it was a very low level flight. WAY too safe for me.

Definitely an A3 or A10 bird.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 PM
BP Mafia

I was a bit bummed about the lack of A3 motors, and Rae wanted to see something go a little higher, so the next up was the Yellow Star Crayon that I bought a couple of weeks back. (My wife was hosting a wedding shower, and two of her cousins boys got stuck coming. I figured it would be a chance to burn a few and entertain them, but it POURED.)

While I don't care for the location where the shock cord is anchored, I was impressed with the amount of shock cord. I'm sure it will burn through in a couple of flights, but it should be easy enough to retro-fit with a traditional Estes tri-fold mount. B6-4 for this flight, again because the C6-5s were in the trunk and I didn't want to make the hike.

Flight was fairly high, straight and stable, but the rocket tipped over and it was several seconds before the ejection charge fired. I might be tempted to try this on a C6-3 the next time if the winds cooperate.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 PM
BP Mafia

The Mini lime Max was next up, also underpowered on a 1/2A3-2T, but not as bad as the Check-It.

I didn't bother with a streamer for this one after the streamer failed on the Hemi Max. The grass was still long and heavy, making for a soft landing.

The launch crew.

The launch. Nice flight and recovery right in the outfield.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 AM
BP Mafia

My Astron Spaceman - The King, flew next. Just for kicks I decided to fly it on a B6-4.

Impressive flight. Well, most of it was impressive. 7/8 or so. That last 1/8 it started corkscrewing and left a big ? smoke trail. At ejection you could see something separate, but it was WAY up there and I assumed it would be an arm. It started out deep over Woodfill Avenue, but then began falling back toward the field. It didn't make it.

The base piece and one of the supports broke on landing. The real damage had obviously come at ejection when the patented Estes Magnum Force ejection charge BLEW BOTH OF RICHARD'S CHEEKS OFF. His facial cheeks, not his arse. (I'll have to add the picture later.) Needless to say, his flying days are probably over.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 AM
BP Mafia

Dragged out Witch Hazel next for an A8-3 flight.

WAY underpowered! I should have known. It's a BT-60 bird and they always fly better on a B6-4. Nose blow recovery because of all the grass. Bounced, but recovered without damage.

The Astrosat LSX flew next on a B6-4. I never really warmed to this bird and bought several cheap just for the nose cone. I replaced the stock cone for this one with one of the cockpit cones from the Sunward Gravity Rider. Never liked the stickers, so it flies all white.

Flies fine, but it's just kind of uninspired. I do like seeing it come down on the checkerboard chute.

I miss being SAM 0058

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 10-28-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 AM
BP Mafia

The Squirrel Works Rockets Ahoy was next on a B6-0. I had this one packed since last weeks rainout, so I brought it along.

This could easily be a C bird at this field. Fluttered to the ground nicely after a noisy, low level flight.

The Quest Full Moon flew on a B6-4 this time.

Probably the most impressive flight of the day overall as it arced out toward US 27, then rode the breeze right to the tire tracks of the outside northbound lane. I walked up to retrieve it and three cars passed while I was walking. None of them hit it.

This is how I found it. I'd rather be lucky than good.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-28-2013, 06:17 AM
BP Mafia

Just for giggles, and because the remains of my first clone still hang in the trees nearby, I gave the Centuri Scram Jet clone an A8-3 flight.

I don't remember this one flying this well. Arrow straight and fairly high without a trace of wiggle. Nose blow recovery and landed on the rock hard infield without damage. Yeah, I was shocked, too.

In years past, the Custom Razor was a mainstay of my B6-4 Field fleet. At least one resides in one of the trees, so I followed the Scram Jet with a Razor flight. Party like it's 2001!

About what you'd expect. A decent flight, nothing special.

Last off was the Semroc Der V-1.5. I haven't been able to get into this one. The decals kind of failed to get me interested and I hate the all white paint scheme.

A8-3 flight. It needs some color and maybe a new name. Flies nice, and it was a great way to wrap things up as my wife called us for dinner just before I loaded it on the rod.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

Good stuff as always. Always enjoy your flight reports.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Good stuff as always. Always enjoy your flight reports.

I always enjoy having a reason to write one.

I miss being SAM 0058